3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: long bow or recurve  (Read 676 times)

Offline don cowgill

• Trad Bowhunter
long bow or recurve
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
i had this post over at dark continent,thanks fletcher for the idea to move it here.i`m coming back to bowhunting after almost twenty years away.i have a 45# and 60# bear grizzly. i am interested in the advantage, if any,of a longbow compared to my recurves.any opinions or experiences? i`m also interested in making my own arrows,any good instructional material anyone can recomend? finally im in the north east corner of illinois does anyone know of an archery/bowhunting expo in the area this year? thanks don

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: long bow or recurve
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Don,

The Kalamazoo expo is the end of the month. I don't think there will be any nearer to you than that or bigger.

I am not the one to tell you what is better recurve or longbow but I don't think there will be an great advantage between the two.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Both offer advantages and disadvantages, I've been at this for five decades and I have trouble choosing between them, so I keep both in the house 8^).  It doesn't have to be either/or.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
I am a fence straddler as I have both. The longbow has a hold on me that I cannot describe, it knows where I look even under some really bad conditions. Yet the recurve is like a sirens song calling me back. I made a committment to hunt only with the recurves in 2009 and as productive as it was, now with 26 days of hunting left after the new year I have the longbow back in my hand.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
As George said both have there place. You would do good to make the drive up to Kalamazoo you can shoot all the bows you want there and make the decision for your self what you want to hunt with
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
I have both ,I shoot both, theres just something about a longbow that seems to reach out to me!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Don, the Kalamazoo Trad Archery Expo is great show the end of this month over in MI.  Once you get past the Chicago Metropolitan Mess, it's a pretty easy drive.  Post here and in the events forum and over at the UBI site and you will likely find someone to share the drive and hotel with.  I'll be there.   www.unitedbowhuntersofillinois.org
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Many of each is the path I have chosen.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Speaking strictly bias wise I prefer a longbow because;

1) generally lighter than a recurve. I really like this in the field.

2) I prefer the grip. Doesn't have to be a Howard Hill, but most recurve grips don't "feel right" to me.

3) Hard to quantify but when a longbow is in my hand and I 'm walking along the balance, scale, and slenderness all work together and   I love that "look". I feel like I 'm carrying a hunk of industrial product with a recurve no matter how beautiful the bow iitself is.

4) many longbows are on par with a recurve performance wise.

5) Did I mention I like the way they look?

Joshua, not at all scientific or dissing recurves.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Purely personal choice...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
You have to you to decide which you like.

Personally I detest shooting longbows.They're WAY too light,and the draw is wierd.Then there's D shapes.Yeah NOT for me at ALL.I choose recurves because of the heavier mass weight,bigger sight window,and the draw is "stiffer"(Best way I can describe it).
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
For me it is a personal preference,I started out shooting longbows and much prefer them over recurves.I like a longbow grip more then most recurve grip.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I was all into recurves then i ordered a ACS and WOW what a great bow, fast and super accurate.

I also just got a Bears Paw longbow and its not that fast but it is a sweet shooting bow and i cant put it down.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Longbow OR Recurve? YEP
I like shooting both,and change regular.One reason I like shooting a take down.I dont have to get use to the grip or how the bow shoots.The change is pretty seamless.
Bill

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I use a longbow purely for the fact that it seems there is even less to worry about like: limb twist, recurve end snagging brush, shooting funny angles.
 Longbows feel lighter to carry and are easier to string using the push-pull method IMO.

I do love the speed of a recurve though and the curves are pleasant to look at.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
My son and I (Limblover) both started with takedown recurves, but we both recently bought  Bama Longbows! I personally like my longbow better because I seem to group my arrows a little better with it, plus I like the weight! Both my bows are 50 @ 28 But I do shoot them both and even though I can see more longbows in my future I will always have a takedown recurve!I can't wait to go to Kzoo show and see all the great bows that are out there!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline cbelcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I use a longbow because they seem to be a little bit quieter than my recurves, but both are good.  It is  a personal choice.  People have used both to harvest a lot of animals for a long time, so either will get the job done.

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Hi,I enjoy shooting both LB and recurve, doing better wiyh recurve, somehow enjoying more shooting with LB. Gobto TBM website and buy TJ Conrads The Traditional Bowhunters Handbook - in it is covered so much  - making your own arrows
too !
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Have both, shoot both still can't decide which I like better, must mean I need more bows.   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Blonds and Brunettes. Nothing more than personal preference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©