3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Buddy Heater????  (Read 854 times)

Offline Tim L

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Buddy Heater????
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
If you have a canvas tent check the manufactures instructions.
Some say that petroleum products can hurt the canvas or treatments on it.
Tim L

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Actually, guys, it is CO that kills you. We breath out CO2 with every breath. Carbon monoxide (CO), not carbon dioxide (CO2) will definitely do the trick though. CO is a byproduct of combustion.

At any rate, be very careful of heaters in confined areas or you will be a nice warm, dead body by morning.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »
I use mine in a portable flip style icefishing house.  It works OK.  I think my pilot is getting dirty.

I'd add a inline filter to it if you use the big tanks.  Up till recently I only used the small tanks till I realized how much money I was wasting by doing so.  Now that I have it hooked up to a big tank, it wont work....damn the luck LOL!

We will use it icefishing down to -40, after that I stay home  ;)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 05:24:00 AM »
AKDan - take a daisy or red ryder bb gun- empty it; dry fire it to make sure its empty; and then hold the barrel right up to the pilot light. The small puff of air can dislodge the build up of by products in the line. Do it several times in a row.
 Do not try a smoking pipe cleaner (do they still make those ? ) or any abrasive.

The gas is odorless; but it contains a chemical to provide odor. That stuff is impure; and bits of it clog the pilot light tube. By firing small bursts of air into it; the particles will dislodge; and when you turn it on - the flame will be yellow at first; then turn blue.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
the shut off valve can shut off over 7000 feet in elevation automatically. These heaters are not intended for use therefore: over 7000 feet in elevation.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Brian,

I dont have a bb gun up here.  hmmm..how about getting some of the bottled air (as embarassing as it is to say)?

I was going to rip things apart...one of those weekend projects  ;) ...hopefully it goes backtogether !

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input. CO is a major concern to be sure. I always have open ports/windows and a free flow of air when using my heater. The question about condensation came form another TradGang member. Since I have not used my Big Buddy in a tent I could not answer his question. As always, you guys have responded to the call.  :thumbsup:

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Fumes and CO2 are not a problem.  I use one in my 12' fiberglass Scamp trailer all the time.  The Buddy heaters have a built-in oxygen sensor so it will turn off if there ever was an issue with CO2.  I have never had any issues and have been sleeping with it on full power all through the night for three years (at least when it's cold out. Buddy heaters are catalytic and designed to be used indoors.
TommyBoy

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I wouldn't trust my life or family to a sensor.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Clay,
you brought back memories with the recollection of fire watch in tents at night. We did that as well when we had "war games" near Fairbanks in the dead of winter.

I have a Big Buddy heater and it is great for some applications. But as others have said I would not trust my life or my friend, families lives on a sensor.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline LongBow'erman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
Are there any Tradgangers out there who have used the Big Buddy heater in a camping situation? Do you have problems with condensation on the inside of your tent or trailer? Do any of you use the heater with a hose attachment and a large propane bottle? It is my understanding that a single hose equipped, with a fuel filter, will run the Big Buddy and is more economical then using the standard one pound propane bottles. Input from experience Big Buddy users will be appreciated. Thank you.   :banghead:  
I use the regular buddy in my 10x14 Kodiak canvas tent with no condensation problems. I use it with the hose and filter on 11# and 20# tanks. I do have to hold down the pilot light knob longer with the hose before it will light properly. I like this heater but wish I had the big buddy just for the added fan option. Take some safety precautions and you will be good to go. I unzip the vents on both sides of the tent and have never worried about carbon monoxide, also it helps that my tent is canvas and breaths.

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Use mine in my ice shanty, and love it. Has th3e oxygen sensor and it owrks great. I often have to open a  door to let heat out.
TGMM

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
ive got the big buddy the one up to 18,oo btu's use it in my sturgeon spearing 8x8 shack it gots hot in there quick i sit in there with jeans and a t-shirt when shack is first heating up there condisiation but that quickly goes away have used it with a 20 lb tank in the shed will be using it on the ice this year have had no problems with fumes of any kind the fan is system is nice to move the air around all thu makes noise the fish dont mind.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Best money I ever spent. I use mine with a bulk propane tank and line with filter. I set the tank outside my 8 man alaskan guide tent. No condensation. I unzip a little of two windows just as a precauation. I almost never have to use it higher than the low setting but occasionally on medium. I have used it for several years and it is the one item I double check to make sure I did not forget to take with me when going hunting or camping.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©