3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wonderin, assumin n confusein.  (Read 1061 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wonderin, assumin n confusein.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
HS, Its not that hard. I think we tend to make it more difficult than it really is. To answer your question, you will need to figure out what broadhead weight you want to start off with. With your draw weight I think 200 grains up front would be reasonable. I think you will need to try several arrows with different spine to see what fly's best with your target weight. Probably would start out with some 500 spine full length arrows and just start shooting to see how they fly. If they start off weak start cutting them down a 1/4 in at a time. Make sure you read and learn as much about tuning arrows as you can, if you need to. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.
Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
THANK YOU amicus.  Thank you sooo much.  Thas all i wanted was some opinions.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
HC: My wife shoots a 45# recurve and I make her arrows with 200 grains up front. To achieve good arrow flight for her she shoots the Beman MFX shafts (the skinny ones like the Axis) in the 500 spine. They are 27" long with a 100 grain brass insert and 100 grain Phantoms or Razorcaps. She gets pass thrus on the big game she shoots. I think 200 grains up front is all you need for now and by what I read about your set up you will probably need to go up to the 500 spine shafts. Hope that helps.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Inn8, not to sound too much like the rural ND hick I am, but I've found there's more than one way around my barn. I'm not going to tell you that lightweight arrows are better than heavyweights because they aren't.  There is a place & argument for both.

I'm just saying 500-550 grain alum & carbon arrows will shoot & kill just peachy as long as you match the spine closely to your bow.

There is a direct correlation between weight & speed and weight & how quiet your bow shoots. Lighter arrows are faster & noisier, heavier arrows are slower & more quiet.  You have to decide what balance fits your pistol.  I like the speed my modern recurves shoot a lighter arrow and so accept a certain level of noise as part of the bargain.

I like alums (and to a lesser extent carbons) as they are easy to work with & tune broadheads on,  and it's easy to get the spine & weight I want with economic standard sized shafts, components, and 125-145 grain points/broadheads.
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by NDTerminator:
Inn8, not to sound too much like the rural ND hick I am, but I've found there's more than one way around my barn. I'm not going to tell you that lightweight arrows are better than heavyweights because they aren't.  There is a place & argument for both.

I'm just saying 500-550 grain alum & carbon arrows will shoot & kill just peachy as long as you match the spine closely to your bow.

There is a direct correlation between weight & speed and weight & how quiet your bow shoots. Lighter arrows are faster & noisier, heavier arrows are slower & more quiet.  You have to decide what balance fits your pistol.  I like the speed my modern recurves shoot a lighter arrow and so accept a certain level of noise as part of the bargain.

I like alums (and to a lesser extent carbons) as they are easy to work with & tune broadheads on,  and it's easy to get the spine & weight I want with economic standard sized shafts, components, and 125-145 grain points/broadheads.
ND,

No more of hick than I in good ol' western WI - lol.

I guess what I was saying and I think you hit on it, if I use Stu's calculator and try to make a 3555 500 grains - the dynamic spine is way out of whack for a 45# @ 28", 28" recurve that is center cut.

If I did a 30" 3555, with 150 grain tip, 100 gr. brass insert, 5" fletch it gives me a dynamic spine of 35.5 with a total weight of 529 grains. The calculator tells me the bow is putting out 52.3 dynamic spine. Now maybe the calculator isnt real world, but I am too new to even know other than Stu saying the two should be within 2# of each other.

If you move up to a stiffer 5575 with the same inserts you get a dynamic spine difference of less than 2# and an arrow weight of 550 grains.

I think that is why I prob. liked the heavier arrows at Dwyers, much more quiet and seemed to come off the bow a bit better for me.

Hmm..that ended up longer than I thought it would - lol.

Tim

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
I should note that it looks like you can get a good DS from Stu's calculator if you go to a total of 175 up front between BH and insert giving you a total weight of 450 grains.

It just looks like if you try to push that light of an arrow over 500 grains the "Almighty" calculator will say it won't be spined right. Again, whether or not the calculator translates to real world is another story. It sure sounds like people sure like Stu's work though.

Tim

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
i sure do wish there was a *relatively* easy way to figure out what X carbon shaft will fly great out of what Y bow that's used by Z archer.  imo, there ain't none, simply because of the nature of carbons and the 'wild card' addition of the archer that's shooting said carbons outta said bow.

all that said, carbons are well worth the efforts and money, 'cause when it all comes together it's just so beautiful a thing.

again and for me, the carbon formula starts with much lighter spine stiffness than the charts portray (for a given holding weight and arrow length), at least a few hundred grains up front (NO, i'm not talking about foc), and shoot for a minimum arrow mass of 10gpp.

reread and adhere to the above paragraph and you'll be on the right path to carbon success.  BUT, this is assuming you already know howta shoot and your form is solidifying well!  for a rank NEWBIE, i'd advise to stick with alums - the easton chart is as good as it can get for picking the right arrow numbers for yer bow and you, and alums are more forgiving of spine.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Rob,
I think you hit the bullseye with two of your points (to paraphrase):
#1 If it ain't challenging or fun, why bother doing it.
#2 Assuming you already know how to shoot the bow and have good solid form.
That's puttin' it in a "nutshell" for sure! Just my opinion.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Rob:

I've been shooting for a week now so I think I got the form thing down now - don't ya think?

Of course, just kidding. I bought the wrong weight bow to start with and have all carbons, but as mr. sable said, if it ain't challenging or fun, why bother doing it.

Tim

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Well i like carbons too.  I like shootin those TIGHT groups in practice. I wanna shoot as heavy a point up front as i can get by with. But they do make a little more noise, and their sooo light its hard for me to get a good heavy arrow.  So ill have to add weight tubes to em to make 10 grains per inch and im worried the tubes will rattle around inside em.    
   I started out with wood, killed the first deer with wood. The groups still hold together really well just not as tight as carbons.  The questions come in herds while the solid calculated descisions come in a trickle.

Hunter Smith.

Hunter Smith.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by inn8hunter:
Rob:

I've been shooting for a week now so I think I got the form thing down now - don't ya think?

Of course, just kidding. I bought the wrong weight bow to start with and have all carbons, but as mr. sable said, if it ain't challenging or fun, why bother doing it.

Tim
oh yeah, for sure yer ready for that elk hunt.    :rolleyes:    :D    :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I am sure that I can benefit from going back to the beginning and starting as if it's all new to me. It never hurts to try to be better and I already know there's a bunch of room for improvement.
God bless,Mudd

I can't imagine there'd be anyone willing to mentor this ole goat.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©