3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confidence  (Read 729 times)

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confidence
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
My hunting partner missed more shots than I have jokes about missing. He then went through a time of losing hit deer. This past season he made up for it. A couple of doe's and a nice buck. Remember there is always next year
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
In the yard I shoot good for my max distance.At shoots I don't.Hunting I've missed a couple and made a bad shot on one.I always went back to my compound.I sold my wheels and am dedicating myself to shooting my stick every chance I get.I will make it happen!

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
ChuchC said it best.  If  you pick your spot and focus the rest is just  shooting like any other target.  
Patrick

Offline Morgan Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Dont feel bad for him, this is his first year with trad gear and he already shot a 115 inch buck.... lol
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison;

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Four things I'd mention that really might help you a lot (it did me!):

1. Develop a little habit of practicing "picking a spot" on a variety of "stuff" as you go through the day.  Do it all the time when bows or hunting come to mind.  Pick out the screw on a stop sign, one brick in a wall, the knot of the necktie on a boring speaker, the center of the circle of a Cheerio on a cereal box on your counter... anything you can specifically sort out of the onslaught of visual input you get every day.  Pick a spot on... the neighbor's dog, a hamster on TV, or the animals at the zoo!  :eek:   Do anything to shift your gaze from the whole objects to a tiny spot on them.  It is my bet that THIS is why you didn't hit your deer where you wanted.

2. When you can, without getting in a wreck or something, imagine where you would "hold" if you were going shoot an arrow at the spot you've picked.  It's amazing to me how much this mental image can help real-life shooting.

If you are somewhere where it won't get you hurt, arrested, or put in the insane assylum, actually practice draw on the spots you're learning to pick with empty hands ("air bow," I guess   :rolleyes:  ).  Note: Probably better NOT do this one in the business meeting with the boring speaker's tie, or at the zoo (unless no one is watching!!   :saywhat: )  Use good form, even though there is no bow in your hands.

3. When you are on the stand, "test draw" on leaves, twigs, grass clumps, or what whatever several times each session when things are slow and you are convinced there is no game in sight. It will help keep you warm, looser, and mentally ready. "Aim" S-M-A-L-L!!!  This helped my confidence tremendously a few years back when I was fighting the same problem.  It still serves me on every hunt to mentally know "I'm ready" and "I WILL make the shot if I get the chance."

Always have one judo or blunt in your quiver, and if it isn't too dark when your are done hunting, shoot a practice arrow from the stand before you leave.  If you do this every trip, it won't be long until you KNOW you are ready to take a deer.

4. Finally, when you finally get a shot on game, have the discipline to utilize what you've practiced and PICK A TINY SPOT.  If you can't do it, don't shoot.  I imagine a little orange dot exactly where I want the broadhead to enter the deer, and it works.  Read Jay Kidwell's book on archery if you want details of the idea....

Hope some of this connects for you!  Best wishes in becoming a "dangerous" hunter!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©