3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lion Encounters While Bow Hunting  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lion Encounters While Bow Hunting
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
One of the troubles is that in some states if a new species is discovered- then a management plan has to be established. That costs money - denial is cheaper.

I remember when there were no grizzly bears in Colorado- until a guide was attacked by one and killed it with an arrow (he took it from the quiver; and stabbed the bear- killing it).
 After he killed that grizzly bear; he might as well have shot Kennedy- there was much to do about it.

If there is no season ; and no reason - take pictures  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Yeah, well then they will say it's an escaped exotic animal.  How many people have pet mountain lions though?

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodbender:
 there is also all black ones in indian.
Well according to Arkansas Game and Fish no such animal exists in the USA.  

Hahahahaha.

I don't know why try and say that though. It's known that were was interbreeding of mountain lions and jaguars most likely has taken place in the wild from migration of Jags from Central America into the Southern area of the USA.

From there those genes had passed on through the mountain lion populations and pops up in cubs from time to time.  

They aren't just myths.  There are panthers out there.  Biologists like to call them cryptids.

Kind of like Polar Bear/Kodiaks were cryptids...until they found them in the wild as natural crossbreeds.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
Mountain lions do not take there food up in a tree to eat it or hide it(Not saying they can't) also they don't kill just to kill like wolves.

The prefer to kill what they can eat on the spot and drag the carcass up under a ceder tree or bush and cover the rest or the part that the eat on with leaves,needles and dirt to hide the scent from other predators.

I'm not a anti mountain lion person at all, I've hunted around them many times out west and have even had them come in and walk around in are camps at night while we slept in Oregon.

I'm a wildlife control agent here in Kansas and answer many dozens of calls every year here in Kansas of lion sightings and tracks. Personally, we don't want them here anything that can break the neck of a 500 lbs. elk with one bite is something I do not want around my grand kids.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »
three years ago my fiance/boss/husband beater michele and i and her son were hunting a deep canyon by burns oregon.it was an afternoon hunt,i had gotten a response from a single locater bugle the evening before and decided to go into the canyon which was pretty deep.
    michele and kyle decided not to go down the hill as they were not liking the fact we'd be coming out in the dark.i headed down the steep loose slope,i had gone no farther than 100yds when i saw several elk step out into the clear from the scrub oak and pines to my left.they fed across the clearing so i continued downward.i stopped 20yds above the crossing point to wait for more elk to cross.as i sat there i heard noise in the brush.i cow called lightly,next i hear a low hiss from the brush below and left of me.i knew what this was but thought it may be a bobcat.next i hear the ripping of wood as whatever this was definately had bad intentions.i cowcalled again and layed on my back with my bw ma111 on my chest peering under the brush,waiting for a visual of a bobcat.boy was i wrong...up through the brush comes this huge tom mountain lion in full stalk crouching and coming.i am now getting just a tad worried.i was not going to call again for sure.he came in to within 10 yds and stopped behind a medium sized pine.i pulled myself up to my knees and was ready to shoot me a puddy tat.somehow he figured it out and turned and walked straight away from me in a hurry.this was crazy of me to do,dont try this without backup.michele and kyle watched the entire event from above and were both crying thinking i was couger bait.lol...i was in trouble all over again.thanks.....larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
If you boys round up one of those black Mountain Lions, black panthers or whatever local folklore calls it in your neck of the woods, please contact the Smithsonian Institute.  

Since a black mountain lion has never been "documented", you'll likely be very famous when you come draggin one in.

I remind you that "documented" is defined as "confirmation that some fact or statement is true through the use of documentary evidence".

Now that doesnt mean that a black panther sighting can be "documented"  when your uncle Ed's best friend Earl's daughter's boyfriend's mother Irene saw one cross the road up near the old Wilbur place while she was on her way back from Nick's place at 5 in the morning on her favorite mount Trigger.

Sorry those just arent reliable reports. They may be good enough for some of you but, not for science. It's going to take the very first ever  "documented" melanistic Mountain lion to confirm that Black panthers exist on this planet.  Melanistic Jaquars or Melanistic spotted leopards yeah, but not black mountain lions.  

To date, they are classified just as MOMO, Sasquatch and Bigfoot, " locally Reported but UNCONFIRMED."

The truth will set you free!!!!! Seek the truth

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
"One of the troubles is that in some states if a new species is discovered- then a management plan has to be established. That costs money - denial is cheaper"

Nothing could be farther from the truth.  

A couple of Biologists can set down in a few hours and develop a management plan for any species.  What is expensive, is a state agency responding to several thousand bogus mountain lion sightings per year to basically put people at ease because mountain lion hysteria has reached such a feverish pitch.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »
"our niebors found 1o of there sheep dead one morning the next morning they found 12 more"

Okay, let's ponder this quote from an earlier post.

Does that sound like a wild animal killed those sheep?  Multiple kill sites typically mean domestic dogs did the dirty deed.  From biological study we know that adult mountain lions typically kill a deer sized animal every week to 10 days.  Was this one just stocking up?  On the other hand, rogue domestic dogs when given the chance will chase and kill untill the prey quits running.  

Sounds like dogs to me.  

Trap

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Do I look like a dog TRAP
You just might make my day!

If they allowed bigger images here you'd be in trouble!

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Walt Francis posted a incredible story about a lion encounter earlier:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=055765#000010
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I've had a few myself. None that were a threat, but they are neat to see. However, we saw one one year off the side of the road, drinking from a pond. We stopped and looked at it talking the whole time. It continued to drink, then mosey off, without a care in the world. I decided then, that if you can see cats off the road in the middle of the day, without fear of humans, there's a few too many. Especially when I had my 5 year old with me at the time.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
I had a skunk get after me one night after i came out of my stand.

Freaked me out because he seemed like he was on a mission.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Very similar to Brian's in Idaho. Instead of backing down cat just kept coming until an arrow took it right under the chin.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »

Here's one that came to a cow call while I was elk hunting last year.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Bjorn,

That's a fine specimen for sure.  I figured someone would step up to prove me wrong  ;)  So, yuou're the one?  

How much $ do state agencies pay you to release those rare critters into the their state?  

Trap

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Neat picture Dog Treat.That looks like a really big tom to me.

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I had one stalk me while I was turkey hunting in Southern California up around Big Bear.  That cat got within 20 yds of me before he figured out I was'nt a hen turkey calling.  Thank God because I didnt see him until he was leaving.
peter Osimanti

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
That is a cool picture there!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline awishanew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
While elk hunting this Sept. I had a stand set up 11 yds. from the trail. There was a large bent tree beside the trail that was supposed to be my cover spot so I could pull my longbow and not be seen. About 20 minutes after daylight I heard a panting sound that sounded just like the lions on National geographic shows. I looked down and a very large (cougar) came up the trail and turned to put his front paws on the base of my cover tree and looked right at me.11 yds. is sure close. I hollered at it and it slowly turned and walked away stopping at about 30 yds. to check me out. He then walked away in no hurry. Probably a once in a lifetime experience.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I saw one while elk hunting in CO this past yr. I was on a mtn bike and came over a rise and it was crouched, stalking rhodents in the rocks. Probably about a 90# cat. I got within 15 yds, and it took off like a rocket. Really neat experience, but I didn't know they were in that area....kind of nervous more often now. The bears there are large as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©