3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever See This Bow Design?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ever See This Bow Design?
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
About 10-12 years ago I was interested in experimenting with new (at least to me) ideas for a bow. One of the things that I tried was a bow with an experimental material for a string. It was elastic to a point but then stopped stretching. It was designed so that both the string and the limbs came into play. That was okay but rough on the hand holding the bow.

The next thing that I tried was a modified sling shot. The fork extended out past the hand and the rubber tubing was connected with a string for the arrow instead of the usual leather pouch. The arrow was only about 12 inches long and a grove was cut into the target point for the string to engage. This definitely had potential but I kinda lost interest when once the arrow didn't release and came back at me.

Another experiment showed potential but I haven't yet gone back to make the changes needed to optimize the results. This was done hurriedly in order to have it ready to show at the next club meeting. What was different about the bow is that the string went over a grove on the end of the bow and then to the sting nocks which were cut at a reverse angle to that of a normal bow. The idea was to have a bow that shot like a bow that was maybe two inches longer. Also, it had a knob on the tips which was suppose to have a camming effect. It shot okay but was not noticably fast. I do believe the concept had merit, and with a little fine tuning could be improved.

Have you ever seen a bow where the string went over the extreme end of the bow tips? I would be interested in knowing if anyone has done this before.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever See This Bow Design?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Don, I believe in one of the TBB series there is a pic of an African bow that had a hole about 2" from the end of the top limb and the string passed through the hole with a knot tied in the end. To brace the bow the string was brought over the end of the bow. If you have the TBB books look it up. Pictures are worth a thousand words and the few words I've offered seem confusing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
Must be nice to be so creative! I am really happy to tie my boots on right !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
Keith Chastain(Wapiti) makes a "Dual-Draw Weight" bow that uses a stringing method where the string is looped around and over the limb tips. I had one and it worked nice. You string it normally for one draw weight, then you can use a longer string and run the string from the oposite side of the bow and over the end of the tips. It in effect shortened the length of the bow and gave another draw weight. So, you only had to have two different strings to have two different draw weights with the one bow. I think mine was about 8 pounds difference, 53 or 58#@26. Not bad for a two pc Longbow. He had a picture of the limb tip on his site last I looked. I believe he said it's actually an old practice that goes way back to ancient times. The tip was wide and very beefy, with dual grooves for the string to lay in.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
I wish I could get the word pictures.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline kung fu kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
I have a "compound slingshot" from the late 70's that is set up to shoot an arrow with a notch cut into the shaft just behind the target tip.  The short arrow was on the light side, but the speed was like a 30# bow.  It worked very well for me.  Could also shoot round projectiles with pouch on band.  Very interesting set-up.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »
I'm just about done making a "Sling Bow". You mount a Whisker Biscuit between the forks of a slingshot with Tie-Wraps, then replace the nock of an arrow with a glued-in golf tee, so you have something to grip. The guy who came up with it uses a folding slingshot as it's meant to be a survival item. I'm using an adjustable one that allows a longer power stroke. It might work out as adequate for bow-fishing. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube of it. It seems to fling an arrow fairly well. I'll know soon. Just something to help beat cabin fever.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:55:00 AM »
Here a picture of that Dual-Draw set-up.

Here's a link to the web page;
  http://www.worldclassbows.com/dualdraw.htm

If I remember right the stringing method on the left gave you the lighter draw weight, I suppose it lengthens the working limb length. The method on the right increased the draw weight. The bow shot great either way. Mine was a two pc. and I'd still have it if it hadn't broken at the connection. His limb connnection left alot to be desired, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another in a one piece. I believe in the old days they would get the same affect by using two string grooves on each end, maybe an inch or so apart. The inner grooves give you a stronger bow, the outer give you a lighter one.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
DannyBows, looks like the wheel has already been done. I believe though that a lot more could be done with this idea. I wasn't trying to get two different draw weights. I was wondering if you could get a little more cast with the advantage of shooting a bow that acts like a bow two inches longer.

The idea of using a whisker biscuit is interesting. (The guy who developed the whisker biscuit is a friend and regular shooter here on Tuesday nights.) I believe I saw a setup once where there was a fall away rest that was used between the forks which would also allow the use of a full length shaft. I like the idea of using a 12-14" arrow/dart. I saw enough with it to realize it has some potential.

PatB, that sounds a lot like what I did. Does that make me an Afro-Engineer?

:biglaugh:

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
"Afro-Engineer?"

SERIOUSLY? What year is it?!

C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L !!!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by NorthernCaliforniaHunter:
"Afro-Engineer?"

C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L !!!
Careful with what? Saying afro? Please. There is no racism in words, only in feelings.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I remember seeing a bow that Keith Chastain built close to 28 or more years ago with this dual system.  If memory doesn't fail me, he said it goes way back....centuries I believe.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
2Fletch,
It does effectively add the two inches to the bows length, with the result being a drop in weight.
As for the Sling Bow, the way this guy set-up the Whisker Buiscuit, it can be flipped down so the slingshot can be used with regular ammo also. My aim is increasing the power-stroke. With adjustable's I can get longer than a full length arrow shaft. I've been sick this week or I'd have it done now. It's a Pathfinder survival inspired project by the guy. They even sell two piece arrows so it all stores easily.
Check out this video:

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
I took a couple of photos of a couple of my "experiments". In the first one I''ll show the tip end of the bow with the string coming over the end. The difference with the bowtip you show DannyBows is that I was trying to get a camming effect (with the knob) and the sting nocks are further from the end of the bow. In the next photos you can view the Slingbow and the Arrow/Dart used with it

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I don't get the point of putting the slingbow notch in the point of the arrow.  wouldn't it work a lot better to just put it in the normal nock of the arrow?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Danny,
  I just watched that youtube video and that guy must have been a handful as a child if he's doing stuff like that as an adult.It is cool.   :scared:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Ipcjon2,I'll bet you're right.
2Fletch, I like that concept in the Slingbow. You could use a shorter arrow/dart and wouldn't need a rest or the Whisker Buiscuit. How do you hold the nock end of the arrow?

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
DannyBows, I wrapped the nock end with several layers of yarn, glueing each layer as I went, until it was built up enough to grip easily.

Dave, Dannybows answered your question. You don't need a rest and can use a much shorter arrow.

Now, for the next one. I have been thinking of using a bamboo cane like an atlatl to throw an arrow/dart. The difference being to again use a short arrow/dart of say 12" with the string grove in the point. The launcher could be a shorter one of 3 feet for one handed launching, or maybe 6-9 feet for a two handed launch. Probably it would require a fork at the end of it so that it launches cleanly.

Last night I tied a 6" loop of artifical sinew to a 3 foot piece of bamboo that was about 5/8th " in diameter. Putting the 12" arrow/dart onto the loop, I launched it toward a target butt, then I did it about 6 more times. On a couple of the launches the a/d entangled in the loop and didn't release, but I was supprised at the speed of the a/d as it flew to the target. Now I'm thinking of a forked launcher and the next round.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by TheFatboy:

Originally posted by NorthernCaliforniaHunter:
"Afro-Engineer?"

C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L !!!
Careful with what? Saying afro? Please. There is no racism in words, only in feelings. [/b]
Would you be so kind as to elaborate, then, on what an Afro-Engineer is and exactly what distinguishes him/her from non-Afro-Engineers? Feel free to PM me if you find a compelling answer, otherwise do us all a favor and review rule number 1 on the sign-in page. Thanks.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
By the way, VERY neat concept 2Fletch.

Don't mean to hijack this thread in any way, just a little shocked to see something I don't want to just "ignore". We come from all places, walks of life and influences here, and it's one of the very rare and few places I can go on the net without cringing every other post I read. I for one REALLY hopes it stays that way. Respectfully.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©