3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever See This Bow Design?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever See This Bow Design?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
My dad made a bow years ago from a rigid pipe and surgical tubing with string in the middle it pulled 80 or 90 pounds can't remember but he said it zipped the arrows and was very short in overall length and handy blacktail hunting in the brush of northwest CA. This was in the early 60's. He then questioned the legality to himself as at that time the only bows were the wooden sticks we all love on this site (no compounds yet).When I was a kid my dad helped me make a crossbow (SORRY) of the same design and it shot pretty well it was light as crossbows go (about50 pounds) so it wasn't blazing fast but pretty cool for a kid.NorthernCaliforniaHunter I agree we need to be careful not to offend people but I don't think any reasonable person of any race would take offense to that statement especially taken in context.JMO.Often controversial words said taken in context can be less offensive than acceptable language read in context.Clear as mud as I read that back to myself??!! I guess what I'm saying is some may be more offended by the insinuation that someone who says afro is a racist. Reality is I'm as sure that @-fletch is not racist as I am that Nor-CalHunter is not saying he is a racist.Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
Absolutely no intention to call anyone anything. I, as anyone who knows me can attest, is the LEAST to take anything too seriously. It just shocked me, culturally, to still see a term used that I thought died out. We say a lot of things that we may not realize have some deep and ugly history.

For example, take the phrase "rule of thumb". Sure, we all use it and hear it but did you know it refers to a law that allowed for the beating of your spouse so long as the stick you used was no thicker than your thumb?

I aint the thought police and certainly don't want to be a drag around here but I felt compelled to speak out and realize I probably should have done it via PM. Sorry.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 02:21:00 AM »
I knew exactly your intention NCH and did not mean to say you were calling anyone anything but as I re-read my post I can see the connection and apologize for the mis-statement and I think it reinforces what I am speaking of which is the fact that we cannot inflect our true meaning into our posts so we should be careful of our posted statements as well as try not to take those of others too seriously as we may not fully understand the meaning. You are definitely not a drag and need not apologize for trying to look out for others at least not in my opinion.As for the original post I thought of one more thing and that is that the marine supply stores in my area had extremely heavy duty rubber tubing I think it was used for commercial salmon fishing and it was STRONG!! Bill

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
You shouldn't have to defend something said that had no wrong intent. I'll stand behind that. A pm would have been more appropriate. There are lots of responses that could make but I won't. This site is not about politics. Can we move on now?

Huntindad, that rigid pipe with elastic is along the same lines as one of my ventures. How did he keep the elastic from slapping his hand? Also, I believe that the heavy duty tubing is designed for spear guns.

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
He first bent the pipe to be similar to a d shaped longbow when strung and then he hammered the pipe flat from the sides this way he could make a fairly lightweight pipe rigid then fashioned a handle then used two pieces of tubing one top one bottom and used a string in the middle about one foot or so if I recall correctly so when strung it looked like any bow just shorter.Does that make sense? Bill

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Bill, it looks like the string would slap the heck out of his hand. That's what I found with my bow of somewhat similar design. After a few shots it would start to sting.

I considered making a short bow that you would shoot horizonally. (The bow, not the shooter!) It would have a handle that attached perpendicular to the bow so that your hand would be out of the way much like a slingshot. That one hasn't yet been built...at least not by me.

Offline fixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
I used to have an arrow sling years ago it was just a sling shot with interchangable bands one with the normal pouch the other with a nylon braded cord. The bands had bolt attachments that held the bands to the yoke when you attached the arrow shooting bands to the yoke you also installed wire support on the yoke that had a 'V' shape in the cinter to craddle the arrow. You would grip the nock on the arrow after placing on the cord and shoot as the regular sling shot. I shot regular 28" arrows with it.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
What was your opinion on it? My guess is that the cast was less then with a bow.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
That design looks hard to string. If you can't use that outer tip to string the bow why not just cut the string notches closer to the tip? For example instead of having the string nocks 1in from the bows tip make them 1/4 from the bows tip.  You would get more working limb.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Jesse, I had some reservations about stringing a bow with the string over the end design. I was surprised to find that with the push/pull method, there was very little problem stringing the bow.

I agree with what you're saying. Putting the string nocks on a regular bow close to the end of the limbs gives more working limb.

Offline fixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
The cast was not as good as a bow, one reason was it was just a sling shot it was not a wrist-rocket like they have now days so you could only pull what your wrist would hold. The newer wrist-rockets with the forearm brace would have better cast with stronger bands it would be limited by how much your nock pinch could pull without slipping, which would be much more than my wrist could stand back then. What ever you do have fun!

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
I've built a couple selfbows for a guy with a built in clicked.I filed a second half nock deaper and a hair down below the first nock at at a steeper angle in the top limb.Looked like a wide uper nock.It would slip over the edge of the lower nock at full draw.Didn't really click you could just fill it slip into place at full draw.Worked really well I put one on hte first bow I ever built I still have it.It was hard to get it to slip over the second noch right a full draw at the right leanth.After you filed it in the limb the first time you could'nt change it.So when you built the bow you only got the first chance at it slipping over the lower nock at just the right draw leanth.I built this guy 4 bows to get slip over the edge at his draw lenth.
  I fooled around with it with the other bows.Even tryed it on a couple other bows.But once it's filed in there it can't be changed.This was back in the mid 90's.Not many people wanted clickers on selfbow.But what was cool you couldn't tell it was there.Unless you looked at the top nock or drawed the bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
NorthernCA - congtrats on speaking up.

2fletch - I believe that you did not intend to offend, but the joke was not funny and not appropriate in a forum that requires respect.  

I myself earlier this year thought my bow was stolen and offended an honest man on PowWow who was trying to find me & return my bow.  I made an honest mistake, made an honest apology, and edited my post.  We are now friends.  You have already admitted the words you used were not the best.  I suggest you edit your post and remove the joke/offending verbage and laughing icon.

Take are & happy hunting.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Fixer, I remember trying to shoot an arrow out of a slingshot, but I can't remember how I did the rest part. I do remember as you said that the limit was how much you could hold.

Roy, that's interesting, but if someone pulled one of those bows without knowing that you had the clicker, they'd freak out. .

Tom,there was no insult intended and anyone who knows me would know that. I have a problem with anyone playing this polical correctnes game. I served my time to protect free speach and I won't be intimidated by someone who wants to make something out of nothing. If you have more to say then put it in an email or pm. This is no place to talk politics.

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
It is also no place to make racist statements even if by mistake.:Had nothing to do with politics.  I also served my contry.  Army Chemical operations.

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
It also had nothing to do with intimidation. I made no threats or demands only a suggestion and closed Take care and happy hunting.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by newtradgreenwood:
It also had nothing to do with intimidation. I made no threats or demands only a suggestion and closed Take care and happy hunting.
you've got the parting shot, now let's all move on please ........
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
to get back onto the Original Topic, here are a couple pics of some interesting bow designs

First is an Photo i took of a bow at a 3D shoot out here in colorado where the bowyer had put 2 string groves on each end of the bows tips
effectively shortening the bow and increasing the bows draw weight. i dont recall the difference in weight when the shorter string was used over the longer but i thought i was a great idea and have never seen it before.

here is another design i saw at the Pope and Young Museum with the bows energy coming from the elastic bands which could also be change depending on which groves the bands where hooked into

There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Andy, I'm starting to like the idea of two string nocks. With the bow that I showed, it could be strung over the tip and then with a conventional set up for comparison.

The second bow that you showed looks interesting but I can't tell exactly what's happening. Why are there two sets of limbs? Is the bowstring tied to the elastic tubing?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
jim & buddy were doing twin limb nocks on their 21st century top-of-the-line model (i think the constellation).  no longer offered by milton, who bought out the business from j&b.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©