3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cx vs gold tip  (Read 839 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
cx vs gold tip
« on: January 06, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
was looking at both the cx hertiage and the gt trad. the cx is 2grains/inch heavier but the gt offers teh screw in wieghts i was wondering what peoples thoughts opinions are thanx

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cx vs gold tip
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
The screw in weights will also work in the CX as far as I know except in the Heritage 90s.I shoot CX Heritage 90s and 150s depending on the bow I am using.Also have some Gold Tip Traditional but just not using them at the present time.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline thomas3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
You Can use the screw in weights in the CX also. I use the CX shafts and the weights. They have worked great for me . Hope this helps.  Thomas

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
In my experience with these two shafts... the CX Heritages are stronger and more durable, but the GTs fly better for me, for some reason.

Mike

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
well if i can order teh screw in points from gt and have the work in the cx i think ill go with the hevier arrow in the cx

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
I just got some CX 350's to try out.  I hear they are about the most durable shafts out there.  I have not gotten them set up yet to shoot so I don't know.  The GT trad blems from Big Jim have been great for me.  I have only broken one GT so far so I can't complain about them at all; I either shot it in half while hanging down out of my bag target or split it with another arrow.  I don't recall now, but it didn't just blow up on a hard hit like some of my Beman arrows have.

You can use the GT inserts and weights in about any standard size carbon.  You can also use the brass inserts in both these arrows.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
The spine of the 150's seems to be a little stiffer than the spine of GT 3555's. If you get the weights call GT and be sure to get the long allen wrench to install them with. I personally use the GT's they are cheaper and I am prone to going through some arrows during hunting seasons.LCH

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I am shooting CX 250s and 55/75s.

Both are working well for me.The 250s are stiffer spined than the 55/75s GTs.

Not sure if you would really need the screw in weights.You can get standard aluminum inserts or 50 grain or 100 grain brass inserts and a few different sized field points for testing.I prefer the brass inserts personally.

I got from 100 grain up to 300 grain points and everything in between for testing on carbons.Pretty much has me covered for any bow I have.

I do shoot the CX 150s sometimes if I want a light arrow for more speed.Those have aluminum inserts and alot less weight up front.Usually 100 to 145 grain points on those.

I prefer the 250s though and 55/75s loaded up with brass inserts and heavier points mostly.Especially for hunting.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
CE are more durable, heavier, and more consistent in weight/spine.  The Gold Tips are prettier and cheaper.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I've been shooting both the GT 55/75 and CX heritage 250s with 50 grain brass inserts and both preform great.  

I also noticed that the cx's seem to be more durable. On my first bunny hunt of the year I wacked a stone and broke my judo but after much inspection, I was amazed to fine the arrow unharmed.
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Apex Predator summed up my thoughts and experiences with both, exactly!

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Here's another thought.  If you go with brass inserts you will not have to use the wts. They come in 50grn and 100grn and will fit both CX and GT shafts.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
CE are more durable, heavier, and more consistent in weight/spine.  The Gold Tips are prettier and cheaper.
Haven't broken either so not sure on what's more durable, but certainly agree that the consistency is better on the CE shafts - all 12 spine exactly the same whereas the GT's vary a few pounds.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I've used both and agree that the CE are tougher and heavier but I like point weighting the gold tips for high FOC and overall weight. So, I think the gold tips are easier to tweak for higher FOC. And, I like the price better...especially Big Jim's blems.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I tried the  PDP screw=in weights and didn't like the extra hassle and cost. you have to buy the special adapters and the different size weights to tune.......was a lot of hassle to me.

I switched to the brass inserts and had great luck and only one thing to buy.

My experience is the same as Apex Predator above.

I now use CX Heritage 250's cut at 29-30" using 100gr. brass insert and 150gr. tip and get 600-610 grain arrows for my 62# recurve.  For some reason, I can get good arrow flight with 29 or 30".

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I have used both and find the Carbon Express much more consistent in spine,this is the single most important factor choosing a shaft.Period.You can use the same GT point weighting sistem on the CE at least with the Traditional.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I'm not knocking the Gold Tips.  They are what I'm currently shooting.  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
I've found the CX's to be tougher and more consistent in spine. They also spine out somewhat heavier than the corresponding GT shafts.

Offline Whitetail Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Ive never shoot the cx's but I love the goldtip trads. I think the heavier brass inserts will fit in either one of them though.
Striker takedown rec. 52#@28
Hummingbird Alphamale rec. 53#@28
Zipper standard rec. 54#@28
Striker Slapstick 56#@28

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
where do you get these brass inserts i hear so much about and how does a guy know what wieght to use? ill be shooting either the 250 cx or 55/75 gd out of a 55# @ 27" prob will shoot a 28.5" or 29" arrow i have 125 grain razorcap broadheads that wieght can easily be changed with different furrels i would like to shoot around 20% foc and somewhere around a 550-600 grain overall arrow.  Mainly hunting whitetails maybe bear once every 7 years or so

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©