3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tab vs glove pro's and con's list thread  (Read 1935 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tab vs glove pro's and con's list thread
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I like the tab, but I am still trying gloves when I get a chance.  I have just short of a large size so I use a medium.  I may try a small.  My tab goes to about my first joint on an open hand and not to the end of the fingers on the string.  I like that I can fell my anchor flesh to flesh, and that gets me closer to my eye also with the string.

Tab advantage for me is they are cheap like me.  About $8-9 and you can get a cordovan tab that will last for years.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Dave,
I started out with a large. Plain cordovan (no spacer)tab from Screamin eagle. Fairly lare paws.
Went to a medium and never looked back.

A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Dave,

I like this thread and agree with most of what you have said.  I love the feel of a small tab and use the same tab that you have in your wallet.  I'm pretty sure it is made by Neet.

The only things that I have to add is that while I prefer a tab and think I shoot better with i, I do have to admit the "old school" looking gloves score more cool points for style.
   :bigsmyl:
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Chris Kinslow said

"  The only things that I have to add is that while I prefer a tab and think I shoot better with it, I do have to admit the "old school" looking gloves score more cool points for style."

Okay.... ya got me.      :readit:          :biglaugh:    And by the way, that old style tab in my picture IS a Neet brand tab.

I'll tell ya, the one type of glove I'd love to try would be something about like Howard Hill shows in his book "Hunting The Hard Way".  He shows individual finger stalls with a single seam down the back of the finger which was the common style back then.  That is, stalls made to fit each finger that were not connected to form a glove.  Next to those, he shows the finger stalls connected by three pieces of leather lace joined to a wrist strap which would in essence form what we today call a shooting glove but with more of a "skeleton" frame than the usual full back like the one in my earlier pictures.  Something like that with open finger tips would likely be the very best thing a glove can be without actually being a tab (HA! had to get one more dig in there for the tabs...)

Do any of you know of a glove made today that is real cordovan with a single seam down the back of each finger and open ends????
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
I have been using a smaller tab for a long time as well Dave.I trim the bigger ones down for a custom fit.My fingers do protrude as yours and it allows the feel you need to be precise in your anchor.I prefer the tooth as its the most precise and easy to feel spot being hard the way it is compared to skin.

I also like a ledge on mine for string allignment to be exact everytime.The string rests right in front of the ledge the full width of the tab so nothings cockeyed.Everthings alligned for a nice even pull.I like a finger spacer.I also like the tab to fit reasonably tight.I use a Cavalier Elite alot the last couple of years and it cinches down tight on the middle finger.

I like cordovan like most people.Eagles flight Archery has a new tab that uses unborn calf hair I believe?Its very slick and its said that the hair on these tabs does not fall out like other hair faced tabs.

I have used gloves alot and shot them exclusivly for years but have been using the tab only for about the last 7 years.I dont think I will be switching back.

When shooting gloves I used a slick shot that had the nylon overlays,kinda thick overlays.Also A Hill with the plastic inserts in the stalls.Those did not groove much at all.You cant feel the string much with those.I got a good release with the Hill and inserts.I also shot a thinner glove with cordovan tips over leather that was a good glove and allowed for good string feel and slick release and also very thin damascus glove.They certainly work and like stated above have the cool factor locked down.

Some guys I have talked to use a golf glove or batting glove on their lighter weight bows

Interesting thread and I think you bring up good and valid points for people to ponder and consider.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »
TTT for Gen273
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Wow,talk about a blast from the past. I was googling cordovan tabs because I need a new one and got a hit on this practically ancient post.  I think I'm still using the same Bateman tab from this post and the leather is still just fine but the elastic is now shot.
Dave

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
Con of a glove- everything! Such as can't pick your nose, can't wear them over a glove, the list goes on and on!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 02:03:00 AM »
Good points, I could never get on with a tab but after seeing this im going to try to make one out of some latigo scraps I have.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
The last three or four years I have played with a tab in the off season.  I shoot weekly year round.

I have hunted with  a  tab, but often when I am struggling with my practice, I pick up my American Leather Glove and things straighten out.  I don't know why that works.

I have never trimmed my tabs the way some of you do, this winter I will have to give it a try.  Mainly because  I  often hunt in cold weather, and would like to wear a cotton or thin wool glove with a tab over it.

Thanks for reviving this tab, Dave.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
I like both, but prefer my American Leathers Kangaroo crossover.  I've never tried another glove that I like.  One thing I prefer about tabs is that I carry a sidearm when in bear country, and the glove doesn't allow clean access to the trigger like a tab, which flies out of the way fast and easy.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
I have used both and have always seemed to shoot equally well either way. I now use tabs, because I can wear my tab over my light weight gloves. This helps both with the camo effect and keeping my fingers warmer. This may not work for you northern guys due to the much colder weather you have.
Sam

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 07:21:00 PM »
I liked a tab for warm weather shooting and over a cotton work glove in cold weather hunting. I tried 3or4 different brands but settled on the Black Widow. When I was shooting 80+# I glued an extra piece of leather to the back.
A tab would still be a favorite if not for an old injury to my trigger finger really showing up with my senior years. The nock of the arrow sits agianst that side of my finger. Hurts like he.. when I release. So I went to "gloves" After a love/hate relationship with them I tried one of the first American Leathers Kangaroo Crossover gloves. I found "my" glove. After a year and a half it shows no signs of wear, cool enough in our summer heat and fits perfect. Costly yes but worth every penny to me.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
I have always used a glove.   I guess I like the fact that its covering over my fingers and I don't have to 'apply' a tab to the string to shoot. But, maybe if I got used to a tab it wouldn't feel like an extra step.  I use the glove on a fingerless mitten and that works well for keeping warm.  Tab seems like a separate piece of equipment 'floating' out there someplace that has to be 'applied' to the string where as a glove is just a covering of your fingers you don't have to think about.  I bet I'll try a tab and like it at some point (LOL!!) based on how many seem to prefer it!

Dan

Offline marsh chicken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
I never realized the impact the correct release aid had on your shooting accuracy. I had tried both tabs and shooting gloves over the years. I finally settled on a tab made of cordovan from a guy across the ocean by the name of Lazio Varga. I could not believe how much better I can shoot after obtaining the tab that he made. I bought four of them in case he ever quit making them. I don't even know who he is. I think I got his name off this forum. It was the best thing I did in a long time to make shooting fun again.

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 12:59:00 AM »
I ama tab guy. I started with a glove a loooooong time ago. I switched to a tab in the middle of a hunt up north where my glove got all wet and I could not get off the string good enough to make a decent shot. I've only shot 2 different tabs. I started out with a Super Archery Mitt. It is a great tab, with the exception of being very hard to break in. They are so bad when new, I don't know how they ever sold!!!!

I now shoot a Saunders Pak-Tab. This is by far my favorite of all time. The Pak-Tab is slicker than owl dung, impervious to water, will not soak up scent, and lasts forever!!! I would venture to guess the one I am currently using has over 10,000 shots thru it, and other than a little discoloring, looks just about like a brand new one.

One note about the Pak-Tab: A couple years ago, Saunders changed the way they are made. The newer ones are stiffer, and not nearly as good as the older ones IMHO.

Tab or glove is really a personal preference thing, but I am cettain that I get a cleaner release with a tab.

Bisch

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
I like gloves the best but shoot better with a tab.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
I personally like a glove better. When it gets cold, I can trim a regular glove to keep my hands warm by cutting the tips down just below the stalls of my shooting glove and my entire shooting hand stays warm !

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
I use both but mostly a glove. As a bowhunter I find a good quality glove more convenient and foolproof.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
I far prefer the glove.  Good arguments for the tab, but I got accustomed to the glove, and became reasonably skillful with it, so I don't want to change now.
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©