3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New camo...  (Read 709 times)

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
New camo...
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
I've never really put much thought into my camo, basically whatever pattern I happened to have on hand.  I've got a lot of your no name brand cotton that I've used for several years...  I tend to be hard on my cloths, they get rips and generally don't last to long...

I'm looking to get some new for next year.  I'm looking at Predator (fall gray especially, but also some Green Deception for spring turkeys...) with Gray Wolf Wool in the fall gray for my cold weather gear, or the other I'm looking at is the Sitka Gear line.

For those that have used one or the other or both give me some feedback.  How well it wears, and holds up to the rigors of a few hunting seasons.  I kinda want to know if it lasts longer than what I'm currently using or should I just keep using what I'm using and replace what needs replacing much cheaper than with the other gear lines.

Thanks in advance...

-Jeff
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New camo...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
I have one set of the Green Deception camo the cotton pants,long sleeve T-shirt,and Fask mask.Overall for cotton camo its better than average material seems heavier and it doesn't fade real fast like some cheaper camo I bought at Walmart.Like most camo it's alittle overpriced but good stuff overall and the pattern does work well in spring green up around these parts.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
I have a pretty mixed bag of camo, but affter this fall, anything that wears out will b replaced with either ASAT or Predator grey. Here's my reasoning:

In the past years I have always seemed to have gotten picked off several times during the season by apparntly unsuspecting deer with the wind in my favor. they just seem to casually look up and spot me.
then I found a set of pics online that showed the difference between Predator and regular camo. So I bought a couple used shirts and a new jacket on sale from Cabela's.

Results:   This year I have not been picked out a single time. I had a 10pt buck waltz in on me from  the side (catching me dozing untill it was too late to move). He walked 3/4 of the way around my tree from about 7yds to 20 yds. At one point because of the slope I was on, his head was only about 3' below the level of my feet. He never once even gave me a glance! I was pumped!
I have been picked up 1x this fall-----but I was underdressed and very cold and was kinda dancing a jig in the stand  :knothead:  An old doe spotted me move, but when I stopped she couldn't find me and kept bobbing her head and mving away and then coming back for about 15 minutes....finally she just walked down-wind, sniffed and huffed for a while and finally caught something she didn't like...........

I've even had turkeys feed around me while on the ground and couldn't make me out. The fall grey Predator is what I  have and it seemed to work well in the early season and now in the snow.....

Now, I am kind of cheap, and price of ASAT and Predator is a turn-off for me. But so far, I have gotten some good deals/sales on-line and by buying used. I even found a new pair of insulated ASAT bibs for $30!

Hope this helps............
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I have tried alot of different stuff over the years. I settled on Gray Wolf Woolens. I have both the Wolfskin and the wool. Both set are over 10 yrs. old and both sets look like new and they have been used alot. Both are in Predator Brown, but if I had it to do over, the wool would be Predator Gray. Not anything wrong with the brown stuff, but the last few years it hasn't been cold enough to warrant using the wool until December and the gray would be just fine then. Good stuff....expensive as far as initial cost, but if properly taken care of, should last a lifetime (or until I get too fat to wear it)! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Put down that doughnut, Mike!!  :saywhat:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline selfbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I've been using predator for several years in spring green and fall grey. Probably two of the best patterns made. Their heavy cotton they use in their pants and jackets holds the color very well if you do your part when it comes to washing them. I haven't had any of the high end wools because of the price but I bet they work well. During the cold weather I've been using the Berber fleece with wind shear in the outfitter pattern that works extremly well. Glenn

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
I forgot to add I have some of the Sitka gear in mothwing camo it has held up better than any other camo I bought last few years still looks new after a year of heavy use. The camo also looks great in the fall woods I never get spotted. Bad part is price the first 90% I have was a Christmas gift from my wife. I bought a few more items on sale about half off thats the only was I will buy it even if it last for years it's hard paying full price for one set of Sitka camo.That said yes I do like it myself. Another camo I used alot this past season early fall/mild weather was the cotton chamios Backland Adrenaline pants/shirt I bought from Cabelas on sale. Sort of a woodland camo man I had game all around wearing this stuff never got spotted one time it blends in well and I looked at a picture of myself from a B/W game camera thats set up for Security and the Adrenaline camo looked even better B/W. If it's on sale and looks good I will buy it   :)  .

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I have both. I will say that the mothwing sitka is great stuff. You can hide anywhere in elk country wearing that. I really really like the predator deception. I have the grey deception or whatever they call it. It is an awesome pattern it big and breaks up the outline well. I like the sitka clothing because it is very functional though. Flip a quarter Jeff.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm exactly like Mike - own both Wolfskin and Wool in Predator Brown and love it.  Mine is probably only 8 years old though, so he has a couple of years on me.  Still looks like new though, and I'll probably wear out before it does.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
my favorite came is natgear camo. I swear by it. it ist as well built as sitka gear but a awsome camo indeed. check it out.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
Preadtor will hide you while you sleep. This is me taking a nap waiting for the elk to find me.

I think you know three crazies, they are wearing predator pants.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
predator is the best stuff out there...try this test...take a shirt with any camo besides predator and also a predator shirt...have someone stand 10-20 yds away in front of some brush...you'll see a huge difference at the edges of the shirts.the predator it broken up and the other is not nearly broken up as much.good stuff and all i'll buy.  hunter tested...hunter approved..  :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
I need new camo for turkeys this spring.....my problem is Michigan isn't green yet in turkey season.

What was the pattern (a Realtree version, I think) that hhad lots of oak leaves?

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I like Preator grey or brown and ASAT;found they last long time in any fabric just pants need some fixing ,sewing or replacing.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Roger,

Are you thinking of Realtree Advantage (the classic version)? Here is what it looks like.

Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I use mainly ASAT and Predator Fall Gray.
If I had to choose just one I would choose the fall gray. Works great in treestands, sage brush, late season with snow, even turkey season here in Mi. I shot a bird wearing FG pants, and in the picture, my legs disappear in the leaves around me.
I have been wearing a pair of FG pants bought from Cabelas 14 years ago. They were on sale for $10!! (I should have bought 5 pairs). I think these are the earlier version of Microtex. This season I have finally worn a small hole in them.
I also have some Sitka stuff, Traverse shirt and Celcius vest. This is good stuff, however, I do not find them as durable as others. My first Travesrse shirt came apart at the coller (Sitka replaced, excellent customer service), now the new shirt is coming apart at the wrist (one season of hunting). My Celcius vest is nice, but I have pulled the tab off the zipper (one season of use).
I have two Dayone coats, both are at least 10yrs old, both looked worn (blood and dirt stains), but still in excellent shape.
This season, I bought a Gray Wolf wool shirt. I think what Mike Bolin is saying is true, "with proper care this stuff with last a lifetime"!
just my two cents

chris <><

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
We are in the process if ditching all our black blobby Mossy Oak break up and have hunted this year in Predator Fall Gray. Mossy Oak break up, now there is an oxymoron..... It does just the opposite and at a little distance is a black blob. However, to Mossy Oak's credit the newer stuff like Treestand is much lighter. Knew that Predator FG was a great pattern when we had 4 wild turkeys pass by us twice in a open clearcut at 6 yds and never saw me and my son in the same tree !!! I also think the Predator FG in wool is even better being that wool absorbs light rather than reflecting it. JMHO

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Anyone ever see a predator cover up? I've been looking for a while now. Just looking for a really lightweight outer layer to go over everything.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline saywhat?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I have had good luck using Natural Gear and brown outfitter fleece camo.  I picked up a couple woodland digital camo shirts real cheap for spring turkey.  From my super-official backyard tests, the digital really disappears in the treeline and does not blob up at any distance.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I have come to a conclusion about camo.This year I took a nice buck about 25 yards away. I was wearing asat bibs and realtree duckblind camo. The kind with the cattails. I think the duckblind camo is better than the other realtree and mossy oak patterns. In my opinon it breaks up your outline similar to predator camo.

It seems that most camo is designed to fool the hunter instead of the game we hunt.Every buck I have killed has been wearing the duckblind camo or asat or predator, I have never killed a deer using any other patteren. After thinking about it for awhile after season was over I decided my lack of success and my success were do to the different patterns as nothing else changed during my hunts except what camo I was wearing. For me I won't waste my money on anything else but those 3 patterens I mentioned
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©