3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Forgot how nice a Non-Custom Bow could be  (Read 894 times)

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forgot how nice a Non-Custom Bow could be
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
I agree had two of them; 1 broke and I sold the second like a jerk.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Great bows, period.
Well perform with the very best custom made, always have and always will.
The fastest recurve, even with 11-12 grain per pound of bow weight bow I ever shot was a 60lb Damon Howatt Hunter with the most beautiful dark rosewwod I personally have ever seen.
Owned it for six years and shot clean thru every deer(several) I took with it like they were not even there.
I finally sold it due to a major neck injury and the weight I felt I would never draw again.
One of my real regrets in the archery arena

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
I have been shooting Trad for only 3 years. I started with a Ben Pearson KM Special - 45# @ 28" 58" length. I paid $120 for it. It is made from Zebra wood and looks as good as any of the customs I now have. I shot the Ben Pearson, yesterday. It is my "go to" bow when I need to practice my fundamentals. What a great little bow!
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Bought a Martin Saber earlier this year and like it pretty well.........

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm Glad your enjoying her Carroll. She was ready to wake from her slumber.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
I saw that one and was really close to buying it myself. Just a little too new for me. Looked in excellent condition and a great deal.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
I like the Diablo but I really like the Martin Savannah long bow. I have had some Martin Hunters and they are also good bows. I am not sure the difference between custom and non-custom since they are all built out of the same material and using the same methods.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I have a 59 kodiak and a 59 grizzly and both these bows will shoot close to what my custom bows will shoot, almost.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I bought a new Super Kodiak last  year, haven't gotten anything with it yet. Saw 5 Cow Elk, but got busted by too many eyes. I like the bow, it's fun, accurate, quiet, & fast.   ;)  
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I hear you, Bro.  Last year I bought a Greatree Volcano as a beater/basement shooting bow, and was completely floored by how pretty & shootable it was when it arrived.  In fact, I have to admit it's a better looking bow than a good number on the rack...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline LeTuB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I've been very surprised by the Bob lee 1 piece recurve, a real hunting weapon! If I have to buy a non-custom that would be this one !
Caribow wolverine&Tuktu TD
Timberghost G3ss

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with those older Lees/Wings.  I have an older Red Wing Hunter I bought off the used rack at the local compound shop back in the 80's for $50.  I leave it in the basement for fiddling and it could stand to be re-finished (why did they finish them shiny back then?) but I would have no problem hunting with it...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
I'm in the same place as Mr. Stout with the old Shakespeare recurves:

"Those old bows are wonderful to shoot, and will indeed surprise those who have not shot them for awhile.....or ever. Most will shoot with any bow made today, and some will shoot better. It's good to have choices like we do nowadays, and particularly wonderful that those old beauties have lasted the test of time and still offer us the enjoyment of shooting them. I'll take an old one anytime".

I have accumulated roughly 23 or so old Shakespeare Kaibabs and Ocalas, with a 66 kodiak thrown in for good measure, and each and every one is indeed a complete pleasure to shoot. The craftmanship, beautiful woods, and unique designs will surprise you on every old bow you pick up because no two are exactly alike.

Something to be said about when times were simpler and less exacting, if you know what I mean. More individual craftmanship.

George, I'm real curious about the "skinny" dyneema strings you are experimenting with on your old shakespeares. Who are you getting them from because I'm ready to give it a whirl myself? Nothing like putting a new dress on an old lady.

kybowman

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I love the Red Wing Hunters and Bear Grizzly. the Grizzly has been around forever and is still going strong. I once knew a guy who had a Super Diablo that he called his "divorce" bow because his wife told him she would divorce him if he bought another bow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
I have re-done a number of Damon-Howatts recently and just today was putting finish on a Super Diablo.  It is one of the coolest old bows I've had my hands on.  I'll be watching for one that I can refinish and keep for myself!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Whip, I've re-finished several old Howatts myself lately. I did a 1968 Howatt Monterey right before hunting season. It has some fantastic brazilian rosewood in it. I fixed some holes and reinforced the limb tips. Made a D-97 string for it and man does that puppy shoot. I guarantee you it will hold it's own against most any newer bow at the same draw weight. It served me quite well during the season to the detriment of the local whitetail herd.

I'm fooling with an old Pearson Predator now. With an 8 strand D-97 string it's a completely different bow.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Do you make your own strings Hatrick?

Offline rp65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I have two Super Diablo recurves and one hunter. I have weak spot for those Damon Howatts. Nice bows!

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
I've pretty much given up on finding better looking and at least for me more effecive shooting recurves than older Howatt's and Bears.

Early 60's Monterey:

60's Kodiak and Super Kodiak:

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by kybowman:
I'm in the same place as Mr. Stout with the old Shakespeare recurves:

"Those old bows are wonderful to shoot, and will indeed surprise those who have not shot them for awhile.....or ever. Most will shoot with any bow made today, and some will shoot better. It's good to have choices like we do nowadays, and particularly wonderful that those old beauties have lasted the test of time and still offer us the enjoyment of shooting them. I'll take an old one anytime".

I have accumulated roughly 23 or so old Shakespeare Kaibabs and Ocalas, with a 66 kodiak thrown in for good measure, and each and every one is indeed a complete pleasure to shoot. The craftmanship, beautiful woods, and unique designs will surprise you on every old bow you pick up because no two are exactly alike.

Something to be said about when times were simpler and less exacting, if you know what I mean. More individual craftmanship.

George, I'm real curious about the "skinny" dyneema strings you are experimenting with on your old shakespeares. Who are you getting them from because I'm ready to give it a whirl myself? Nothing like putting a new dress on an old lady.

kybowman
I concur.  My first "real" bow was a Shakespeare Sierra I bought new for, if I remember correctly, $27 at a Tempo store (kind of an early 70's version of K-Mart) in Mankato, Minn.  Gave it t buddy for his wife in the mid 80's...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©