3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Pack question  (Read 1084 times)

Offline vealboss

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Pack question
« on: January 07, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »
This may sound really stupid, but what do you guys and gals carry in your hunting packs? I know the basics Knife,flashlight,candybar,peanuts,jerky,toaster strudel,popcorn...sorry got off track. Anyway more specifically the folks that hunt the mountains and deep out of the way places. Just wondering how big a pack to carry and what I will need to get (equip wise) if I do get to elk hunt next year.
    Thanks

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Pack question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:08:00 AM »
This is a good question? I'll be watching this myself,however I'd think some sort of firestarter and a space blanket would be a good thing to have.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
I am no expert, but I have three trips out elk hunting. After carrying a elk neck out a 1 1/2 miles in a game bag slung over one shoulder I highly recommend a lightweight frame pack to carry at all times. I carry a Dwight Schuh hunt pack with just the fanny pack installed( 1000+ cu")on the frame. Inside I pack-- lightweight rain gear,Thermolite bivy,firestarter,lighter, a 8x12x1/2" foam seat,cheap space blanket(to put meat on or emg)two game bags,two small caribiners and 50' para-cord,(to hang meat)orange flagging, orange bandana,latex gloves/paper towels,small 1st aid kit,Buck PBS knife,LED headlamp,map/compass,GPS,FRS radio,digital camera,extra tab/bowstring,ty-wraps,Food,iodine tablets,and three 20 oz. water bottles. On my person I carry- a belt knife,matchcase,compass,watch,binoculars,TP,and elk calls.  All this weights less than 20 pounds is comfortable and should handle most situations.

Offline Mike Orton

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Jeff,
This ain't a dumb question at all.  It's one I wrestled with in the beginning and have perfected over the years.  My answer is you need two packs.  The first pack is small, contains your hunting essentials, emergency stuff for an unexpected night in the woods, plenty of water and enough to process the animal when it's initially on the ground.  A day pack size or the one I'm fond of and use is the Badlands 2200.  This first pack should be around the 20# weight size so it's not a weight burden.  My list of hunting equipt I carry is as follows:
Hunting Pack Contents
Optics
1.   Binocs: Steiner 8 by 30 Night hunter

Water
1.   Camelbak 102 ounce hydration bladder

Navigation & Communication
1.   GPS Garmin Rino 530, includes a FRS 2 way radio, Weather Service Radio, altimeter, digital compass and GPS capability
2.   Cammenga Tritium Military compass
3.   Waterproof Topo Map of area I’m hunting

Cutlery
1.   Buck 112 folder
2.   Knives of Alaska Light Hunter Combo, includes a skinning/field dressing knife and a small detail caping knife.
3.   Small Hatchet
4.   Hack Saw blade wrapped in Duct tape handle
5.   Diamond based sharpener tool

First Aid Kit
1.   Kit for emergencies, including sutures, pain-killer and the normal first aid stuff.  Keep it small.

Emergency Bag
1.   One heavy weight plastic trash bag (rain poncho, water collection etc.)
2.   One unbreakable signal mirror & Whistle
3.   MSR Miox emergency water purification system
4.   Fire Starter (commercial fire tabs or petroleum soaked cotton balls)
5.   Magnesium based fire starter and disposable butane lighter
6.   Foil based Space Blanket (emergency warmth & lay out quarters on after field butchering)
7.   50’ Para cord & Military poncho for shelter
8.   Heavy Duty Needle/Thread

Food
1.   WWII vintage canteen cup w/ attached cook stove, & fuel tabs
2.   dry soup & hot chocolate powders
3.   Trail mix, nuts, candy bars etc.

Miscellaneous
1.   License, tags, waterproof pen, pencil & paper
2.   spare batteries & bulb
3.   extra bow string & finger tab
4.   small roll surveyor’s tape
5.   Digital camera
6.   Zippered cotton pillow cases or Game Quarters Bags

Optional (Depending on climate, conditions & activity)
1.   Tripod and Spotting scope
2.   Packable Rain Gear

I've found that the real trick is keeping the danged daypack light.  There's a tendency to think that more is better, although less is actually better.

The other pack is a monster full sized load bearing pack frame.  I normally keep this pack at my camp or vehicle.  I make the first trip out w/ the cape and/or backstraps in the smaller pack and convert to the larger pack to haul quarters. The larger packs I've used are the Kifaru Long Hunter freighter and most recently the Badlands 4500.  Don't forget plenty of water in the second pack too.  No sense in cramping up carrying the heavy load.

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Orton

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Jeff,
Silly me, I forgt the absolute most important thing....

DON'T FORGET THE "T.P."

Actually I usually carry baby wipes cause my tooshie is soft!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Titan_Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »

Heres the pack I use. Its an Eberlestock JS105.
 This was my first year elk hunting, and I spent 8 days in a Wilderness area, and was 4-6 miles from the trailhead. Fully loaded, I had 42 lbs. worth of stuff for eight days.
 The biggest thing I like about this pack, is you can offload your tent/bivy/food etc. at a spike camp, and then compress the pack down for daypack use.  If you get something, the pack handles really heavy loads well.   Although I didnt get to haul meat in it. I did test hikes this summer with over 70 lbs. in it, and it was as comfortable as 70lbs. on your back could probably be, LOL.
 Some things that I carried that I wouldn't be without:
 1.) My North Face Particle 13 tent. I found this in a clearance bin in the camping section at Bass Pro Shop in Denver.  The tent weighs 3 lbs. and is a large one man tent, with a vestibule large enough for my pack/boots.  Also makes a good place to cook in inclement weather.

2.) Baby wipes. Makes great TP and is great for personal hygiene.  

3.) a couple of space blankets.

4.) The new Mountain House meals.

5.)Trioxene stove and trioxene tablets from an army surplus.  These things work great, weigh nothing, and are dirt cheap.  One tab will boil enough water for a Mountain House, at 11,000ft.

6.)550 cord (parachute cord). Many uses for this stuff.

7.) small roll of duct tape

8.) I pack three small waterproof bottles filled with strike anywhere matches.  I keep one in my pack, one in my pocket, and one at camp. (a cotton ball in the top keeps them from making any noise.

9.) White cotton pillow cases. Makes great meat bags, put your clothes in it at night for a comfy pillow, and use it to filter water (i use iodine tablets, but the pillow case filters out of the particles).

Offline vealboss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully after things settle down around here, and the baby gets here I can start getting some stuff together. I sure hope I get to do some back country hunting next year,and maybe Alaska in 2009   :campfire:
    Jeff   :jumper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©