3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best "old" broadheads?  (Read 529 times)

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
Best "old" broadheads?
« on: January 06, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Besides he obvious Bear greenies what do you think were the best old broadheads and why? Tough to beat the Bears rep. but lets here what you think. Also please give the weight of the head.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best "old" broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Pearson Deadheads either 125 or 135 were pretty deadly.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
There were a lot of weirdo BH'b in years gone by. Zwickeys have been great since the 1940's. Good steel, easy to sharpen-typical weight has been 125 grains. The profile is just right for max penetration.

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I knew that was coming!

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Greenies, was there another broadhead?

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Back in the day all i ever use was Zwickey and MA-3's

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Zwickey I've used them since 1960 and their still at the top of my list
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
I have to go with Ace and Zwickey. Others have come and gone, but these two companies have stood the test of time. I'd have as much confidence hunting with 50-year-old Ace or Zwickey heads as I do with their current offerings. As a matter of fact, I killed a doe last year with a 1946 Ace Hi-Speed with the old parallel tube ferrule.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Hard to argue with the old Zwickeys.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Zwickey

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
I have some Snuffers that are about 30 years old.
Got wood? - Tom

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Zwickey 125 with 40-100 insert.But any scary sharp broadhead is a favorite.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Ol Pearson Switchblades... they were great - still have a couple of dozen kicking around.
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Its interesting that there are new heads out that reseble the Pearson Deadheads..... (no, I didn't say copy).  Seems we have again gone in a circle.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Zwickey 125gr

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
The Pearson Deadhead was nasty & cut a huge hole.  We called them whistlers or spade blades...

Pearson also made a greenie clone called the Switchblade that was available in several cool & hip 70's colors.  The bleeder setup wasn't as good as a Razorheads so we just shot them as 2 blades...

We all loved Zwickeys, but none of us could afford them. I actually own a couple now, and can't even remember where I got them.  Must be Old Timer's Disease...

Remember when you could go to Coast To Coast Hardware or Woolworth's and buy single Bear cedar arrows with 5" helical feathers, .$75 for the glued on field points, $1.25 for them with Razorheads?  And how they didn't even blink about selling those Razorhead tipped arrows to us kids spending our carefully hoarded lawn mowing & gopher tail bounty money?

I still have a scar on my thumb that splits open a couple times a year, courtesy of sharpening one of those Razorhead tipped cedars with that little plastic handled pull sharpener Bear sold. Snapped in two on the pull and ran my thumb down the blade while pushing down so it would get really sharp...           :eek:        

Remember the Browning Serpentine from the mid 70's, and the magazine ad with the big figure 8 hole through the apple? Young guys, picture a vented Magnus 2 blade, with the blades spiraling around the body and welded at the bottom on the opposite side of the top! About impossible to sharpen and I think it would have taken 100# to actually drive that thing through a deer, but it sure looked cool!!!!
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Ace and Zwickey. Been around for ever in basically the same configuration. They have both stood the test of time.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Another nod for the Ace and Zwickey.    :thumbsup:    I'm still using them.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
There were a ton of really neat old broadheads created in our recent history.  Several books are in print with photos of them.  Wade Philips created a series of books that show pictures, give descriptions and some background on many many heads that were made.  You would really be surprised at the looks of some of them.  O M G

There are a few that are still around, almost unchanged.  Zwickey is one of them.  Certain designs just stand up to time and use.  Others didn't make it, for a variety of reasons.  

I really wish someone still made the Butterfield Brute. I really like the way it looks and the few that I own get about the sharpest of any of my "use" heads.
ChuckC

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Chuck: As I read your post, I got to thinking about the Butterfield Brutes, before I even saw that you had mentioned them. They were monster heads! I still have a half dozen Pearson Switchblades and a  three pack of Deadheads with the package marked 130 grains.

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©