3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Disintegrating weight tubes  (Read 198 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Disintegrating weight tubes
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
I was shooting today and noticed a red tinge to my otherwise translucent green nocks. I pulled the nock out and noticed a powder consisting of finely pulverized weight tube material. It appears that at impact the tube is slamming against the back of the insert. (Carbon shafts).

Has this happened to any of you and what do/have you done to mitigate the problem? Do you glue in the weight tubes to keep them from sliding forward? Keep in mind, I cut them to an exact length so there would be no sliding (initially) and figured the ball of glue being pushed in by the brass insert would adhere to the end of the tube (I was afraid of this very issue developing).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Juan
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Disintegrating weight tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Juan: I used to use weight tubes and found that they just did not hold up in my practice arrows. I switched to weed eater line which did not give me that problem. However, after talking to Bob Morrison about increasing arrow weight he suggested the best way to do it was to add the weight to the point. I took his advise and now have arrows that shoot better, penetrate better and I have none of the hassles associated with adding tubes, rope, plastic line or whatever to my shafts.

One other tip, if you go to the weed eater line crimp it every 4-6 inches so that it pushes itself against the inside wall of the shaft. This will eliminate any noise you might get from it rattling around inside the shafts. Adding weight is a good idea, IMO, but, as I said, I have found that the EFOC everyone talks about is really a good thing.
The best things in life....aren't things!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks Bill!
I got lazy and also had the tubes laying around. EFOC is reason enough to abandon them.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I've not had any problems with the weight tubes other than the fact that they like to pop my nocks out.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
I always make my weight tubes just long enough so that they are actually compressed when I glue the nock in place.  They cannot rattle that way.  Replacing nocks takes a bit more care but the judicious application of a bit of heat will get the job done.
Otto

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Good post! I have been experimenting with adding weight by various methods. By happenstance, I arrived at a good flying arrow by adding more point weight. I ended up with an arrow weight of about 600 grns to use with my 51# bow. So, at least I don't have to worry about disintegrating weight tubes.
gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Yep, ditch the tubes! I figured as much!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Juan,  I think you are on the right track, but one reason for weight tubes is more weight with little (no?) effect on spine whereas if you put the weight upfront, you effect spine.

Just something to pay attention to and I would put the weight upfront too.

Have fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©