3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern Bushbow  (Read 295 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great Northern Bushbow
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
For the folks that have shot a bushbow, how would you relate the performance of this bow to a similar weight recurve or reflex-deflex longbow.  I know that there are alot of variables between bows, just curious what your impression/experience has been.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Northern Bushbow
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
The Bushbow I have, 62" 51# @ 29" is a sweet shooting bow. I would say that its not as fast as some, but smooth and silent. Great bow to carry all day, very light in the hand.Mine is all Osage and very pretty,I least I think it is!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Thanks Ron,
  I have the opportunity to get one for an extremely reasonable price (less than 1/3 the new price) that is in basically new condition.  It is a little heavier draw weight than I can handle right now, and I am considering getting it essentially as a training bow.  Didn't know whether or not it's performance would be up to snuff, but silent is good.  Very good.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
If you get it and don't like I guarantee you can sell it or trade it real quick.  GN's are highly regarded in these parts.

Offline Near Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
My GN Bushbow is a great shooter.  It is smooth and quiet.  Also, as a flatbow, you get the same performance out of shorter limbs, hence making it a great bow for hunting situations.  Finally, mine has the Jacknife feature, which makes it great for the travelling bowhunter.  I don't know about speed, but it gets the job done and then some!

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
They're great bows, smooth and SUPER quiet.  I really couldn't tell the difference speed wise between it and my newer R/D longbows.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
I really like the Great Nortnern Critter Gitter and Bushbow. I have a 62", 46# @ 28" jacknife Critter Gitter that I took a very nice 9 pt buck with in 2009. Jerry is sending me a Bushbow with the same specs. These bows are light (which I like), very smooth to draw and quiet. They also shoot a variety of spined arrows. The workmanship is excellent and Jerry is great to deal with.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
When I got mine off the classifeds here I was pleased but it was a bit heavy. I sent it back to jerry and he took 5-6#'s off and refinished it for me. It came out great and it was not expensive!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
i have a critter gitter and i looovvveeee it.  i think my next will be a bushbow
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Good to hear the nice comments.  It'd be nice if it had the jacknife system, but in the pics it looks great.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
I had one and it was a great little bow.  No speed demon for sure but plenty fast enough and quicker than I'd expected.  As stated above the craftsmanship is above reproach.  They are quiet as a church mouse and smooth as any bow I've shot.  Additionally I didn't shoot it too poorly ... for a recurve guy.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
(less than 1/3 the new price)

Good grief! What are you waiting for? At that price there's no way you could go wrong, unless someone else has purchased the bow while you were wondering. I wish I knew where it was. :)
N/A

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Can any of you compare the GN Bushbow to the Martin Savannah?

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by foxbo:
(less than 1/3 the new price)

Good grief! What are you waiting for? At that price there's no way you could go wrong, unless someone else has purchased the bow while you were wondering. I wish I knew where it was.   :)  
Well, It'a a lefty and it's 80 @ 28" and it will be in NJ in a couple of days.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
An 80# lefty?  That might explain the great deal  :saywhat:  .  Great bow, though...currently have 4 Bushbows in the stable; 3 Jackknifes and a one piece.  Have been tempted several times over the years by new, sexier designs, but keep coming back.  Here's the one I've been shooting the most lately

Offline cbelcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Mine have not been the hightest performers, but I put a higher priority on stability and noise, and the Bush Bow excels in these categories.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
paradocs,

I like those bocote veneers. Nice looking bow.

craig

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Hey Craig-Not the best pic angle; they're actually birdseye pecan over hickory.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©