3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: River Cane Source???  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
River Cane Source???
« on: April 15, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Anyone know a source for River Cane shafting? I just killed a hog with one, and now I am hooked! But I need some pretty small diameter stuff, because I shoot around a 50 spine. But I know it is out there, and someone has got a load of em'............Please let me know. Thanks all... LittleTree

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: River Cane Source???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Great stuff isn't it Brad? It grows all over down south...Texas, Oklahoma, the Carolinas, southern Kentucky. There's always a bunch for sale/trade at Mojam. Bet you could trade a good osage bow stave for all you could carry.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Your local home depot prolly carries bamboo stakes that would make a good substitute for wild cane. I've never used river cane, but I know bamboo is sure worth it's weight in gold...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
Pays to know what you're getting. Here's an example of the two different types. Both will make fine cane arrows but the one pictured on the top is more trouble then I care to fool with. It has deep furrows and a more pronouced taper. Makes fletching somewhat difficult. One on the bottom I got from Pat B and I've seen none better.

You should post this on different message boards in their trading section. Good luck.-ART B  

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
If I remember right Art that cane on the bottom is a special specie (Bambusa?) not native to the US, grows only in a few localized places and that not even Pat can get it without traveling out of state or something. Special cane for sure. Would be nice if THAT kind of cane grew everywhere. Most of us have to put up with stuff that looks more or less like your top example.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Mr. Ferret, the stuff that grows here in virginia looks exactly like the piece on the bottom in art's pic and as far as i know it's native, but i could be wrong.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Mr Ferret? LOL please call me Mickey or just Ferret

Zane, I'm just going by what Pat told me or by what I remember Pat telling me. I know he sent me some awile back which made some wonderful arrows and when I asked about getting more he said he had to travel to get it, and that it didn't grow around him.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
No, that's not Bambusa Mickey. I've got arrows make from that as well. It generally only has around two nodes per shaft. Very special stuff indeed. Nodes in that lower cane type run about 3-4 per shaft. Totally different stuff. Got both the Bambusa and cane in quetion for Pat B. He gave me several sprouts of the cane a couple years ago to transplant here in WV and it's doing fine so far.-ART B

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
The Bambusa grows only in zone 8 or 9(or warmer) and I live in zone 6 or 7(depending on the year).  My friend that lives near Hilton Head has a hedge of Bambuse in his yard. Whenever I visit I get a good mess of the stuff but end up giving most of it away. Hopefully I'll get down this summer on a fishing trip.
   I also have Arundaneria tecta(native switch cane) growing along the creek on my property. I have sent Art both Bambusa and switch cane. My club in GA has Arundaneria gigantia(native river cane) growing along the creeks there. It is larger diameter with more pronounced nodes.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
im a dummy i dont knopw what zone i live in ive been looking to plant some cane as my wife wants a natural fence on our back half would the good stuff grow in central texas
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Keep it comin'

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
This cane is called Bambusa multiplex. It is a clumping type(not spreading type) bamboo so it works well as a hedge.  It may grow in Mineral Wells. Check your local Cooperative extension service or ag agent.   Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
OK OK, how much money do I need to send to you Pat B for some of that special small node cane? Those shafts with the smaller depressions at the nodes look great. Living here in Pa where it is colder makes me angry sometimes. Maybe if I got some live shoots of that cane, I could grow it in the basement under controlled conditions:) LMAO, another cane junkie is born:)  :biglaugh:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Roy, Money can't buy it but when I get some I'll put you on the list. Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Caveman IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I'd contact Sal ochoa who is from Los angeles, he always comes to Mojam.  Maybe he'll see this and post. What weight/spline do you need? Larry

Offline ringo64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
little tree, i live here in wisconsin right now....for another couple of weeks, and i am making arrows from phragmites reed, which is what the indians of this area used quite a bit.  it is not nearly as durable as cane and much lighter, but is easy to straighten and fun to make into arrows.  these two fletch arrows are both phragmites...also known as bottle brush here i think. give it a try...always nice to know the local source.

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
dang i gotta get me some of this cool cane cause mine sure dont look that good
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks Pat, is this cane very hard to come by? My Uncle lives in SC, would it grow around his house?

Offline wyatts daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
I have it right here river cane for $12.00 a dozen. You can get them at Pine Hollow Longbows, Inc.  www.pinehollowlongbows.com
Bill
The only thing I love more than hunting is my kids. 6 boys one perfect little girl.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
The reed in the bottom of Art,s picture appears to be Switch Cane.It grows all over my section of N.C.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©