3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: texas in april  (Read 192 times)

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
texas in april
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Did not turn up any answers to this with a search on Trad Events forum, so here goes.
I'm going to be in Texas in the first couple weeks in April, doing some birdwatching with my wife. Driving from San Antonio, to C.Cristi, Laredo, Brownsville, etc.
Are there any trad archery events/shows yall can recommend? I might have to take a break from the birds after a while. I'm considering whether to pack my bow, if there is good cause. Any ideas?
Thanks
Walt

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: texas in april
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I don't know of any trad events that month but the R100 is some time around there.  In may is the chester stick bow roundup.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
There can be great hog hunting around that time, here is a great guy to deal with and offers a great deal.  http://www.stretchastring.com/
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
There is a big trad shoot April 10-11 in Vanderpool.  West of San Antonio.

It's a great shoot!

http://www.tbot.org/

Texas Hill Country Shootout

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
The Vanderpool shoot is s/b awesome but I have never attended b/c work always keeps me busy till 4/15/XX.  Everyone that attends seems to rave about it.  Here is some verbatim text from an old post at a TX Archery forum re: the Vanderpool shoot

“For those of you have been living under a rock, this is TBOT's big shoot of the year. Shoot one or both days (targets picked up around noon on Sunday), as many classes as you can get in, 50 targets each round. There will be individuals from every skill level and age class, so don’t worry if this will be your first tournament. Just come out and have a good time.

It is a very laid back atmosphere. You hear just as much hooting and hollering when someone shoots a twelve on the elk across the valley as you do when someone shoots a limb or a rock”

You can find some contact info and other cool nature stuff here:  http://www.texashillcountrygateway.com/hillcountryfun.html

Other cool stuff in TX during april is as follows:

Poteet Strawberry festival if you like festivals
Sand Castle tourney thing in Port A if you like that stuff
Self tour of the Aransas wildlife refuge if you wanna see gators, snakes, feral pigs and get eaten by mosquitos. You can drive it by car and get out and walk (at least that’s how I did it)
NIOSA (Night in Old San Antonio) celebrating SA heritage if you want to get rowdy drunk and party downtown w/a bunch of wild ones

I’d take you to NIOSA or hunting myself but I’ll be slammed w/ work in early april.

Good luck and have fun.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
The Vanderpool April 10 & 11 shoot sounds ideal, but I guess I was too sloppy on stating my time constraints. I arrive March 29 and leave April 10, so I would be just short of time for being over there. Probably have to take my underwear off in security by then. They will be sorry.
I sure do appreciate all the ideas. Any others are welcome, still hoping for something like the shoot to see other bows, shooters, get a few tips, etc. Can't do that here at all.
Had to laugh at the idea of going to Texas from Alaska to get skeeter bit, since that is almost our state bird.
Thanks
Walt

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Lol, I didn’t think about that….I bet the skeeters are crazy in AK.
Really, you should consider the self guided tour of the Aransas wildlife refuge.

If you are serious about birding you can see the whooping cranes there during that time period ( I did).  I think its one of the last flocks in the USA.  Go here for more details.   http://www.wildtexas.com/texas-parks/aransas-national-wildlife-refuge

If I hear of any archery events in your time period I’ll PM ya.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
There is a big trad shoot April 10-11 in Vanderpool.  West of San Antonio.

It's a great shoot!

http://www.tbot.org/  

Texas Hill Country Shootout

Mike
What Mike said! This is one of the biggest/best all trad shoots in the state. If it is possible for you to make this one you really do not want to miss it. If it is at all possible to move you flight back 1 or 2 days this shoot is well worth the time.

Bisch

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Yeah I have always loved how people in Texas talk about skeeters, when they really have no clue about them. I was down here a year or more before before I got my bite. They were bad enough in Minnesota I can not imagine what they are really like in Alaska.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
There is a yarn told here about a guy who wakes up in his cabin and hears two skeeters talking at the foot of his bed. One says to the other,"Should we eat him here or take him outside?"
The other skeet says, "We should eat him here. If we take him outside, the big ones that couldn't get in will take him away from us."
It is about the truth, at the wrong time and place.
I am checking the Seattle commitments to see how much give there is on medical appts there. Maybe Vanderpool can work for part of one day anyway...
Thanks for the other ideas too. Some were already on the game plan, but good to see everything. The whoopers are definitely a target species (for the birding, not the archery).
Thanks
W

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©