3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting Excited - Newbie First "Successes" Photos  (Read 528 times)

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting Excited - Newbie First "Successes" Photos
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »

To All:

The image above was shot a few days ago at 8 yards. I was terribly excited as I hadn't shot a "group" yet. I have been reading the trad. bowhunter handbook, but have mainly got advice from members of this forum and one other forum. I felt things "click" the other day as I actually saw my arrow flight.

The next photo was shot today at 8 yards. Yikes! Made my wife come out and see this one. Now, I want to make it clear that my first 3 groups of 5 arrows looked nothing like this one. Prob. 5 - 6" groups with one "flyer" per group. And, if I open the garage door and go back to 13 yds, I struggle and always shoot LOW, not sure how to correct that other than just shooting alot.

This last one I just stared at the bullseye and didn't think about much else - I QUIT AND WALKED AWAY FEELING GOOD - LOL. I will shoot tonight but heard somewhere if you really have something that feels "right," walk away and try to remember it.

Thanks again for all of the support! Now, if I could only do this consistently - lol.  

Tim

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting Excited - Newbie First "Successes" Photos
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
How cool is this? Way!! Thanks for sharing. I would also like to shoot groups like that consistently.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
From the looks of that, your gonna need a fletching jig!!!!

Mudd's right, WAY COOL!!!!!!!!
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Good for you. Looks like you are on your way. Don't scoot back in too big of increments. Go back to maybe ten,get those groups, then 12, good groups, you get the picture. It takes alot of practice. But you my friend are on your way!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
:notworthy:  congrats on some fine shootin wish my groups looked like that! what is that target expandable foam?
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Thanks, I think this was my "lottery" group and yes, I am starting to damage feathers, but I'm still not courageous enough to shoot to the outside of the target - lol.

Yes, it is industrial grade polyurethane that a friend experimented for me. It is 8" thick and 2 psi (I think). It is not his 3 psi foam, but he layers 2" at a time allowing them to dry. Because of this, I have a 3 x 3 rubber mat bonded with the foam on the back side as a back stop. The arrows are starting to go through.

What is nice about this is, when it gets bad, I'll cut out the middle section and have him spray a new section for maybe 10 bucks or so.

He thinks the 3 psi will be more durable. It is what they use to seal a new house to the foundation.

Tim

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
By the way, I "cant"ed my bow quite a bit more and took a more athletic stance on that last group. Could that just be the right form for me?

And, as I put on the AT trad section, I stared "angrily like a football player" at the bullseye on that last group.

Tim

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Nice going. Yes that and when you cant it more you can see the target better.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bill M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
OOOHHHH!!! I had that magic moment a few months ago. WAY COOL! Now if you're like me, you'll find that it only works when you don't think about it! Trust your eyes and your muscles - the first elevation hold with your bow arm is the right one, windage will be spot on if you anchor consistently. Put it away when you start to get tired. AND REMEMBER that the first shot is the most important shot of your practice!

YEE HA!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Great shooting!  I think the key to that great group was the focus and concentration you talked about.  That is a key to good shooting from any distance.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
congrats, tim!    :thumbsup:

that's fine, potential 'meat in the freezer' shootin'.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Well folks, I just went out and shot 20 arrows and I'm not posting any photos - lol. Not bad shooting, but didn't get that same group again unfortunately. Funny though, I hear something clicking all of sudden like my arrow hitting the shelf or something. I've never heard it before and am curious why it would start now?

Tim

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
congrates!you are well on your way now.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Whenever I practice I won't quit until I get a "go-home" group. That is a group that is real good and makes me leave the range in a good mood.

I am going through some really poor shooting right now ( and don't know what is causing it) so the go-home groups are a little harder to obtain, but I still do it every time.

Bisch

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Looks great.  You are starting to get the "feel"  Keep at it and the distances you can do that it will increase.  Don't pressure yourself, just keep enjoying it and working at your muscle memory.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
Way to shoot!! Don't give up, always make having fun you main target. The clicking could be bad arrow flight, do you see any bad wear on your rest?
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Not too much wear, although the velcro carpet is pretty new. I don't know if it is related to me canting the bow more now.

I just got my field point test kit today from 3 Rivers and threw some larger points on and didn't hear the clicks. I also got my bow square as well and put my nock to 5/8" above center. I'll shoot the 100 grain tips again and see if I hear the click.

Tim

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
well that pic says it all congrats and real good shooting.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
It is always a rush when shooting goes well, I still get excited after a good shoot even if it is every day

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©