3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Paypal - watch yourself  (Read 752 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paypal - watch yourself
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
On big transactions use the gift option under the personal tab and no fees are charged the seller or the buyer   ;)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline S Biles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I sold a bow to a guy in Hong Kong, he went to a western union site and sent the money it was in my town in about 2hrs. A pretty smooth transaction. I think they charge about 13.00. Not a bad way to go.

Offline skarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Just wanted to clear up Canadian money orders: If a Canadian sends a postal money order for payment, just be sure to cash it at any US postal office. Done this way, there are absolutely no fees whatsoever. Some US banks however charge a fee to process a postal money order. Works the same way for a US postal money order in Canada.

I have found the Postal money order to be the easiest and cheapest way to pay/recieve payment across the border with my American friends.

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
*-Bay no longer allows Buyers to accept US Postal money orders, or people who only pay in that manner (non-paypal) to bid without prior approval. I wrote to *-Bay last week complaining, after I was not allowed to bid on a .41 Mag Lee Loader kit (with 45 seconds left on the auction!), as I was not signed up for Pay Pal. If you contact the seller PRIOR to the auction ending, they can override and if they are willing (many are not, due the *-Bays "new" policy), you can complete the transaction with a Postal Money order. I have had 60 or so buys, with great feedback, since 03, and every single purchase was paid for with a PMO. Never had an issue, but I am being told I have to sign up for Paypal and pay them a fee for my "protection"? Why is paypal any safer than the US Postal system, pertaining to money orders?

Many sellers will not accept PMO now, due to *-bays new rule. This is from the response I received from customer support the other day... "**** discourages our sellers to accept payments using money order because we want to make sure **** is safe."

I will be closing out my 'bay account in the near future and just buying what I want either new or on this site, as I want to help them keep "*-bay safe".

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
i was using paypal before it was renamed paypal.  

overall, it's a fine service that works for everyone.  

do not confuse paypal with fleabay - they are partners, but separate entities.  as a one time big user of the flea, i no longer trust it for personal one-on-one transactions.

pp fees have escalated and gotten more complicated as they're grown to become the online money giant they are today.  

the upshot of this topic is to research before making an out-of-normal transaction, so you can better understand what rules and fees apply.

the world ain't getting more simpler and traditional minded - you can take that to the bank.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
I use paypal on a daily basis and have for years. Never any problems. You should always READ the terms and conditions before using any service.

You can't expect them to do the exchanges and transactions for free do you  8-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
I buy a lot of bows in the USA and with Paypal the seller has sure money in seconds,with  International money order it took almost 15 days and it costed me 75$ and 25$ to the seller to cash it.Excenge rate from a currency to another is not the one you look on the Internet or newspaper since Banks are involved or Credit Cards Companies.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Also paypal rates can be much cheaper than regular mastercard/visa/amex when you take cards that offer points or corporate cards. My company was getting charged the mastercard/visa rate of 2.5% and amex rate of 3.50% and then they would hit us up for other fees which turned out to be another 1.5% to 2% for point cards or corporate cards. Paypal will not bang you for these extra fees.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I have used Paypal for years, and find it very convenient. Banks have fees for transactions, too. Banks make mistakes, too. Ask the buyer to assume the fees (they run about 3%) and/or exchange rate. I think Paypal has always been clear about the fees for using their service. The ****thing is less clear, and more usurious.

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
I have sold a-lot of stuff on **** and now all they want you to use is Paypal. I know they are tied together so that is the reason.Paypal has to be a gold mine for what they charge to sell on ****. My biggest problem with it is they charge for the total transaction price that you receive from a customer. That is including the shipping price that the customer pays on the total price. So I don't charge any more to ship than it actually costs so I am paying for what the item brought plus the shipping cost. To bad Paypal doesn't have a public traded stock I would buy some.
Dean Marlow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Yeah guys but look at the coverage you get for a lousy 3%!!

MILLIONS of buyers. Compare that cost to a Sunday newspaper ad. I think it's a great value.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
What it really comes down to for a business is whether or not the service and convenience for your customers will produce enough additional sales to more than cover the fees.  

If you are running a business and think you will not gain any additional business by offering to accept credit cards or Paypal, then there is no reason to offer them.  But I can't think of too many businesses that could get away with that.  Heck, most businesses can see that and realize offering more payment options leads to more sales.  Even fast food joints and vending machine companies have realized that accepting cards increases sales.

I went into a grocery store in Madison a few years ago to load up on supplies for an upcoming trip.  Loaded the cart to overflowing and went through the check out.  Handed the clerk my card and she told me they don't accept cards.  I don't normally even carry a checkbook with me and I don't use my credit card at an ATM.  I walked out of that store and left the groceries behind, and haven't been back to that store since.  The store owner saved himself the card fees, didn't he?

I wish all of my customers would just send me US dollars in envelopes.  No card fees, no risk of bad checks.  But if I made that a requirement I don't think I would be very busy.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I agree with Biggie and Whip, as a seller on the auction site and with over 10,000 transations, it's worth the fees.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I while back I noticed a charge on my paypal account that I know I didn't make! I filed a dispute and was denied a refund! I still use paypal but I no longer leave any amount of money in there.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
using paypal is pretty much a no-brainer from every aspect.  like anything in this complicated, overly verbose world, keeping tabs on yer 'stuff' is mandatory.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Paypal is a winner,, esp. for the buyer.. Fast, safe and easy..!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I am not a fan.  Just can't give who knows who my bank account number.  And when xbay about forced it's use for all their sales, I had enough of both.
Double that
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Nail:

I am not a fan.  Just can't give who knows who my bank account number.  And when xbay about forced it's use for all their sales, I had enough of both.
Double that [/b]
You do realize of course that every time you write a check to anyone that you are giving out your bank account number.  It's encoded on the bottom of every check you write.  Same goes for every time you use your credit card.  Personally, I worry more about the greaseball behind the counter at the gas station than I do about a big business like Paypal.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:

Originally posted by John Nail:

Double that [/b]
You do realize of course that every time you write a check to anyone that you are giving out your bank account number.  It's encoded on the bottom of every check you write.  I worry more about the greaseball behind the counter at the gas station than I do about a big business like Paypal. [/b]
None the less, if I contact the seller/service provider and tell them I don't do paypal, if they won't accept a cashier's check or US postal moneyorder, I shop elsewhere. I NEVER use a credit card for gasoline, ect. Just me I suppose, but it's my money.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
these hi tech dayze, yer only purchasing safety is greenbacks in yer hand ... and knowing exactly who yer buying from.  hard row to hoe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©