3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Very light tree stands  (Read 379 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Very light tree stands
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Guys im looking for a very light tree stand something compact and light that i can travel with.

i used a friends stand here in Colorado and i think he called it a "alumilock"? it prob only weighed about 7 pounds this is what im looking for but can't find them anywhere. does anyone know the stand im talking about? and where to get one

or have any suggestions on where to find a very light stand? im kinda looking at (stand, strap and safety harness) combined to get me not much over 10 lbs   :help:  does such a stand exist?

thanks Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Very light tree stands
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Climax.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
I used an alluminum HX Gorilla Scout this season.Its light,smaller and packs easy.Its also well made structurally.It attaches to the tree with ease.I was looking for a light stand to pack deep.I did not want to spend the big bucks on a lone wolf or Chippewa.

I also use a lock on limit thats nice.Doesnt pack as well as the Gorilla though.Take a look at the Gorilla Scout.

So far so good.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I think my climax weighs a bit more. Are newer ones lighter?

I like the Screaming Eagle "Eaglet". 11 lbs, $135.   :thumbsup:

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
alumi lock was made by api dont think api is in business anymore think bass pro bought them but not sure a buddy of mine loves his chippewa wedge lock its a bare bones stnad goes up quickly quitely and gets the job done you can buy more puck straps adn leave them in different trees then you just slide the stand on pretty slick system there lightest stand is 8lbs they have a web site check em out, lone wolf also makes a great stand both i would recomend

Offline Greg A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Lone Wolf tree stands.  They are pricey but I believe they are worth every penny.  They are by far the most quiet, sturdy and feature rich stands available in my opinion.  They adjust for crooked trees like no other and their cast aluminum frame makes them completely silent even in freezing temperatures.  They have an "Assault" hang on model that weighs 11 lbs.  If you want a true "pack in" stand - they have the "Assassin" combo which is a small platform only stand that you use in combo with a harness sling.  It only weighs 6.5 lbs.  Look them up online.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
The Loc-on Windwalker or Limit.The Windwalker weighs 7 lbs. and has a weight capacity of 225 lbs.The Limit weighs 8 lbs. and has a weight capacity of 275 lbs.Keep in mind that this is the weight of the stand only and they are both hangons.I used to have a Windwalker years ago and actually had a backpack that carried it.It fit inside the backpack and there was also a separate compartment for your other items.They were a good stand but I dont know anything of their recent history.I do still have a Loc-on Spirit several years old.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Loc-on Windwalker is the lightest I've seen.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
They had a recall on those Alum-i-lok stands a while back. I'm not sure they are still making them. I looked at API's website and it showed the stands but no way to buy them. Kind of strange. The Gorilla looks like a good deal for about a hundred bucks.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
The gorilla xl scout. 8 lbs.  $85.  Would not want to sit in it for 12hrs, but for a 2 or 3 hr sit, works great.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Loc-0n and Chippewa Wedge Loc are the lightest available.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I have an API Alumi-lock Magnum. It's a great stand -- light, stable and quiet -- but not very compact. I also have a Gorilla Silverback Magnum that's excellent.

If I were looking for lightweight and compact, I'd get another Gorilla. They're great stands, and very reasonable in price.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
For versatility, try the Timbertall Baby Lite.  It is a climber that weighs only 12 lbs and both the seat portion and the platform are adjustable in pitch angle once you are up in the tree with a simple wheel.

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
You want a Windwalker...should go around 6 lbs actually.  They used to sell them on the Bisongear website, if not I'm sure you can order direct from LocOn....last I knew they were a great value at around 120 bucks.

I have several and use them all the time for quick hang-n-sit deals, pack in and out setups, or small tree setups.  Have killed several big bucks out of Windwalkers.

Ryan

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Andy,

Windwalker is 6 lbs. Angelo at Bison Gear sells them and make a fantastic pack that holds stand. I have both stand and pack. Got your email and I'll get you fixed up soon. Call me before you go buying one of these stands.
hunt it

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
I'd recommend the limit over the windwalker.  the extra size is well worth the extra pound.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Chippewa Wedge-Lok, not a better stand out there bar none. They make them as light as 6.5#s but get the mid size at around 8#s. I use this system exclusively and have over 60 stand sites maintained with this system. I make the hanging brackets myself to cut costs and own 3 of the stands, but really would only need one but I sometimes have guys hunt with me and they need one to sit my stand site. Pricey but worth every penny. Shawn
Shawn

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Have used a Loc-on spirit since 1985, have 2 of them. Don't know exact weight but they are light compared to most other stands.

Andy if you are really looking for a lightweight travel stand, check out the Tree suit and sneaky sak.
I carried both with me on the Sambar hunt.
Both fit in a redhead hydration pack along with 11 old deer-me rope on steps. I don't believe the pack with 2 liter bladder, both stands, and steps weighed in at more than 12 lbs.
And with those 2 stands you are set for any type of tree! Sure beat lugging around a normal hang on or climber!

And as far as travel goes, this set up is just like a small carry on back pack.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 02:09:00 AM »
If you can find one.... the Non Typical Patriot stands before they were bought out was an awesome stand.  Good sized platform with a well padded swivel seat and I think they were just under 7 lbs but it might have been 9.  Anyway, I've got one and I'd part with my lone wolf climber long before I'd part with my Non Typical hang on.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Yep, don't forget that the lightest stands also have the smallest platform.  The Loc-on Windwalker is the lightest I'm aware of, but has a tiny platform.  The Limit platform is atleast 2" longer and on a pound heavier.  Unfortunately they are both too small for this middle aged fat guy.  I'm liking a 30" deep platform these days!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©