3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New hobby I picked up  (Read 555 times)

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
New hobby I picked up
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Well I got a wild hair over the weekend and decided to take up sewing of all things. I think it would be cool to start making some of my own bowhunting gear mainly for fun but to also save some money. My main motivation was to create a simple quiet pack for carrying in my extra layers. I have a Blacks Creek Rigg Itt modular pack frame that I use to carry my climbing sticks in and out of the woods and it has some buckles to attach a pack. The pack they sell for it is fairly expensive and not as big as I would like for carrying in my bulky coat and other layers, so I thought I should try making a pack to attach to it.

I borrowed an old sewing machine (and I do mean old) and dove right in. I drove to the fabric store and bought decent thread and a couple of yards of camo fleece. The machine didn't have a manual so after replacing the power cord due to dry rot, I spent several hours trying to figure out how to thread it, lol. I then spent a couple more hours figuring out how to adjust the machine so that it made nice stitches.

I finally had it figured out but decided I should start with a couple of simpler projects for practice before tackling a backpack. For a few pennies and a few hours of time, I ended up making a neck gaiter and a bomber hat. The gaiter is based on one I had lying around and I used a free pattern and video I found on the net for the hat.

They turned out much better than I would have imagined so I thought I would share my success. I had a blast making these things and since it was easier than I thought, I'm now dreaming up a few more extravagant packs and scouring the net for other hunting clothing and gear patterns, lol. It might be a while before I finish the pack though. Anyone else sew their own gear?

Antique sewing machine I borrowed from my mother in-law. I'm guessing 1940's or 50's vintage.

My work area. Don't pay any attention to the messy basement!

Hat and gaiter.

Some pics of me modeling them   :scared:   .

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New hobby I picked up
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Jeff, That looks real sexy...   ;)    ;)
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Nice work, looks good.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Real men can sew. I learned in 7th grade home economics and never forgot. It's come in handy over the years. Thanks for stepping forward.   :thumbsup:  

Carl
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Good on you for giving it a go! Great results, too.
I enjoy the heck out of making my own stuff. In a past life I was lucky enough to be a purchasing manager in a company that made backpacks, sleeping bags, duffle bags, cloths, etc. Got some good experience there.
I have a commercial machine in the garage that's the bomb for bow socks, bags, etc.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
That's awesome  :)  Sewn up a few bow socks and other odds and ends on an old machine I got at a garage sale. It's a good skill everyone would do well to learn!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
How cool is that? Way!! You be "Da Man!" Thanks for sharing.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I sew and have sewn many kitchen curtains with backing and sew a ton of my own gear,I also have put pink feathers on my arrows.Maybe I should have left that part out.But my wife loves the fact I sew.  :thumbsup:And Im a former marine if yaw got a problem with pink and curtains...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Whitetail Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Looks like you did a great job. congrats on your new hobby
Striker takedown rec. 52#@28
Hummingbird Alphamale rec. 53#@28
Zipper standard rec. 54#@28
Striker Slapstick 56#@28

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Not a bad hobby to have and it looks like you have it down.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
That's awesome right there!!!  My wife got me some material from walmart to decorate the garage and I told her that I wanted a sewing machine for my next gift so that I could make my own clothes.  She just laughed it off, but I plan on hitting her up again real soon.  I started to make a fletching cover but sewing by hand takes way too long!!  Great Job brother!!!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
That old sewing machine works awesome. It only does straight stitching though. I also borrowed a 1980's or so model from my Mom that does zig zag stitching which I think might be good for making button holes or reinforcing webbing straps and stuff. I haven't had a chance to figure out my mom's machine yet.

I'm going to look around for an old used sewing machine of my own. It would certainly be nice to have around. My son won Vermonster13's youth bow give away. I wasn't sure how to string that little bow and I didn't want to break it so I quickly sewed a couple of pockets in a short piece of nylon webbing and it worked great as a bow stringer. I'm hoping to get an all steel antique machine that seem to be more durable than the more recent plastic ones.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I broke out my wife's old sewing machine and been looking for some more pattern's myself. She makes fun of me when I rub on the wool and fleece material in the fabric stores! HA! Jason

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Cool stuff. Know I don't feel so bad wanting to buy one. LOL

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Good Job!

Funny that I can across this thread tonight as I was thinking about asking my wife to give me the beginners course on her machine so I can start a few projects myself!

><>
Chief
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
If only I could sew, nice work Jeff

Offline fixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I sew my own bow socks for my bows and my takedowns also the end cups I use on my bow stringers. I enjoy building my own stuff. I can see a cap coming in the furure.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Hey, that's pretty good!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
Anything that brings us closer to self-reliance and proves to us that "we can do it" is VERY cool in my book. You've got a talent there that in the long run will save you a bundle and might even make you one too. Thanks for sharing!    :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Contact Dick Wightman on here about your machine.  He is quite the afficianado from what I understand.  I too would like to find an older, heavier model myself for such projects.

Dick, you out there?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©