3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gotta love Gene Wensel  (Read 392 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Gotta love Gene Wensel
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Well not literally, for me anyway, he's sorta long in tooth...but any way.  I just finished his new book and just plain enjoy the breath of fresh air I receive from reading things I actually believe and agree with!  I truly enjoyed the chapter on  understanding the wind.  Especially the opening on learning the wind and forgetting the gimmicks.  The chapter on stands was great.  About 5 years ago I was telling a young guy about not setting right along the edge of fields and getting back in and after some serious scouting I ended up killing my buck along an inside corner field edge.  We all need to be careful about setting things in stone when it comes to hunting deer.  I felt especially blessed after reading his chapter on "When your kid doesn't hunt".  I didn't do everything exactly right but my companion each year in the woods for 19 years now has been my son.
     Thank you Gene for your willingness to share the knowledge you've accumulated these many years.  I know you love sharing so much that you'd gladly refund everybody their money for the book...yea right!  Seriously, thanks!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gotta love Gene Wensel
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I've been hunting with Gene for along time and thought I knew his mind but everytime he writes something, I learn something new.
I DO love the guy........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
what is the title of his new book?

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Buckskin and Bone.  Great read.  Good guy.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Gene has been the same guy I met 25 years ago. He is still truly amazed and fascinated by whitetail deer, and is also a student of traditional archery. Through his writing and contribution to many publications he has done his part to help reserve the passed.

Offline Gene Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
I met Gene in a Montana elk camp in 1989.  Great in camp, great to talk to, great to learn from, great to hunt with.  Staying in his guest room at his Hamilton, Montana home was a ton of fun, but not much sleep was had.  In short... more "man love" for  Gene from
Little(r) Gene

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
One of my all time bestest friends, but then again, so are Barry and Biggie- but I'll deny it!

He and Barry can be on the same hunt and have a nack for putting on paper the same things others see and it seems like it's thru other eyes than mine. Pure talent and genius.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I have all his books and yes to all thats been said! I have learned things from them all. One thing I think is cool is he is probably one of 3 whitetail masters and you do see him on the outdoor channel braggin it up and saying heres the big secret or you gotta buy this and they come running. He tells it like it is and is such a great example of our beloved passion.

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Got Once Upon a Tine today - look forward to reading it tonight.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
I never met Gene and could'nt even shine his hip boots when it comes to hunting whitetails, but I bet we'd get along just fine. When I read the chapter about "Woody" I actually started to tear up a bit . and I did'nt cry at my granma's funneral.(even though I was sad) Great reading. Wish my Dad had been into bows when I was comming along. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I Cant wait for his book to get here...They BOTH are  "legends" in my eyes!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline brian brooks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
The man and his brother are living legends in my eyes.Have all the books and would never part with any of them.They are top notch in every aspect.Have been my hero's for a long time
brian brooks

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Who ??
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline woodhippie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Were do you get these books. THANKS

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
WoodHippie (love that handle!) go here:

http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/newbooks.html

Offline woodhippie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Thanks Steve O. I'm on my way to the link. THANKS

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
A funny story involving Gene.Not sure if he would remember doing this or not.I dont know Gene but have attended a couple of events where he was set up giving talks,selling books,etc.The last  time I saw him was in Cloverdale Indiana a few years back.As I recall Gene had a table set up inside a tent and was selling and autographing books.Gene had made up a small rectangular-shaped grave beside of his table.Yes I said grave.It was maybe 12 to 15 inches wide and maybe 3 feet long.It was covered in bark mulch.In the area where the headstone would be Gene had taken a broken wooden arrow and tied it together with a string and made a cross out of it and placed it down in the ground.I just happened to be standing there looking at some books,etc.Anyway a young boy maybe 6 to 8 years old had walked up and was staring at the grave.Then he would look at Gene.Once Gene was done talking with a customer he noticed the boy and also took note of the boy looking at the grave.I remember Gene looking down at the youngster and motioning with his arm and hand across his throat like he was slitting it.Lol.As I recall he told the youngster something to the effect of "Son -thats what happens when you dont listen to your parents".The look on that kids face was priceless.Funny stuff.I would bet a lot of practical jokes take place wherever he and Barry happen to be.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Duuuuuuuuuuude, no problem   :D

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Alright, enough talk about Gene guys. I'm betting that he put Frank up to starting this thread just to draw attention away from all the talk about Barry's new book . . . dirty tactics Gene:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
They both are known to hunt no fence and low fence areas- how can that be cool ?  I mean wild bucks - with no idea about the dangers of not flossing ?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©