3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fabric by the yard - wool?  (Read 570 times)

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
fabric by the yard - wool?
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I would like to find some camo wool fabric, but I might settle for a plaid wool in some natural colors. Anyone have a good source for wool fabric by the yard?

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fabric by the yard - wool?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Just google "wool by the yard" and there are a bunch of hits.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Surplus army blankets are the cheapest wool fabric I know of, but not camo or plaid.  In my experience the Swiss blankets are the best heavy fabric, followed by the Italian, German and US Gov issue green blankets being the thinnest and cheapest.  

Sportsmans Guide, Cheaper than dirt, the bay auction site, or any surplus dealer will have some choices for you.  

If you have to have wool in camo or traditional plaid then you are going to have to pay a wee bit more.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
That's the problem with searching the net though. There are so many hits it's hard to sort through it all. A lot of the fabric is thin stuff for making wool dress suits or you can't really tell much about the properties of the fabric. I'm looking for some heavier, tightly knit, wool for making a backpack and maybe some vests and hats. Just wondering if anyone has any preferred places to buy wool fabric for outdoor gear that have good prices and service.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Good tip Sherpa. Thanks! Anyone else?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Do you have a fabric store you can go to?  They sell all kinds of wool and can certainly help you select something.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Try some goodwill and thrift shops I get wool blankets for cheap and make tons of stuff out of them
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I've bought some awesome fabric from Johnson Woolen Mills.

www.johnsonwoolenmills.com

FYI...It takes about 3 yards to make a nice pullover.  At least for an XL, with a double yoke.

Here's one I had made for me in the Canadian Plaid pattern.

This is 100% wool.  Some of their patterns are 100%, others have 15% nylon blended in.
Otto

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Thanks Otto. Man, that pullover is awesome. I would be thrilled if I could make one half that nice.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
GreyWolf woolens will sell some wool by the yard camo and plaid patterns.

Otto, Thats very nice. Looks warm too.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Hess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Call Angelo at Bison Gear, he is a sponsor here and has lots of wool, if he is willing to part with it is another question.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Otto,
  Where you fella's learn to make a Pullover like that? "Home Economics" or is there some show on the tube I'm missing? Man I been trying to find one with some drabby green mixed in like the one you made....I like that one...Keefer's <")))><

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by JSimon:
That's the problem with searching the net though. There are so many hits it's hard to sort through it all. A lot of the fabric is thin stuff for making wool dress suits or you can't really tell much about the properties of the fabric. I'm looking for some heavier, tightly knit, wool for making a backpack and maybe some vests and hats. Just wondering if anyone has any preferred places to buy wool fabric for outdoor gear that have good prices and service.
I make 90% of my gear including clothes and pack bags. Wool stretches when wet, repels water like a sponge and rips easily compared to pack cloth. Wool is not pack material! Go to Rocky woods fabrics at rockywoods.com they have everything from the high tech breathables to tent canvas to clothing fabrics. They also have all the hardware you will need, web strapping, buckles waterproof zippers etc. I used a backed pack weight nylon for my sheep pack, lightweight water proof and the camo I wanted.

Clothing weight material has tons of sources just look under Fabric in your local phone book, most towns will have lots of listings. Here is the other thing about fabric shopping the staff at most shops is normally so shock to see a strait guy who wants to sew they will treat you like a king! Gunther and I are waited on hand and foot when we drive down to anchorage to get fabric. The ladies walk me through my whole project to "make sure we aren't forgetting anything". I sew better than most of the ladies trying to help me but every once in a while one will have a tip or new material I haven't thought of. Besides they seem to be having so much fun helping I don't have the heart to tell them I have been making clothing, gear and quilting for decades.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Why settle for less.  Buy yourself a Hudson Bay point blanket or a Whitney point blanket.  Heaviest wool available to make a pullover, shirt or hunting coat.  Not camo though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Keefer

Read a book then borrow a sewing machine it's not at all hard just cut out the pattern and follow the directions. Go visit a Joann's they will be more than happy to walk you through the process.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Good stuff Rick. I went to Joanne fabrics this past weekend and boy did I feel out of place! I'm mainly looking to make a simple pack that will attach to a Blacks Creek Rigg Itt frame  http://www.blacks-creek.com/www/RIGG-ITTPage.html

First I just want to make a basic bag that I can throw my extra clothes in for the walk into the whitetail woods for the day. Later I might make an actual backpack with shoulder straps. My biggest concern is that the bag is quiet. I'm not too concerned about it getting wet although that is a hassle. I actually bought some woodland camo fleece that was on sale at Hobby Lobby this past weekend. I might use the fleece but the camo pattern just doesn't appeal to me that much. I was also thinking that wool would be very quiet and that it would stretch much less than the fleece. I was checking out the Rocky Woods site a few days ago and they do have a bunch of good stuff.

Another good source for webbing straps and hardware is  http://www.strapworks.com/  That's where I ended up buying my webbing and side-release buckles for the backpack project. Their prices are good and it was delivered in three days.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
JSimon

Trust me even for a small pack you'll be happier with a brushed nylon or the "quiet surface" nylon. It just fits the application better. Do some more looking and I've never found research to be a bad thing.

Joann's can be a bit intimidating for us guys at first. It's just like learning the ropes of hunting, do your home work, go to an experienced person, ask relevant questions, listen and watch. Your just dealing with a chick instead of some crusty old man that's all. The fish out of water feeling soon fades. I'm 6'3" weigh in at around 230# And look like.....well what you would imagine a Alaskan hunter looks like right down to the scruffy beard, you should see me at quilting bees!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I wanted to learn to sew.  I have a daughter and we went to a "Mommy and Me" sewing class.  It was great and I learned to sew pretty well.  I even have my own sewing machine now.  I have no question on my preferences  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
My sewing machine is made by the same company that made my chainsaw, Husqvarna, yes It does have a nice floral print on the case. Being a well rounded and independent individual makes you more self reliant and more of a man. Anyone who makes fun of a guy who sews is doing so because he is jealous, to much of a child to be independent or your being confidant enough in yourself to sew makes them uncomfortable do to there own unresolved sexual orientation issues!

Having skills is always a good thing. BTW I cook very well too and I am particularly well know for fancy deserts. My chocolate truffles are to die for!

John
Gunther and I start our "Mommy and me" yoga class on the 27th.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
`Rick,

I bought my wife a sewing machine about 10 Christmas's ago...She wanted one and when she got it she put it in the attic...I said sew me something like a bow sock or some hunting stuff but the thing was too complicated for her and I both...I need to look up there to see if she didn't yard sale the thing...If I can find it maybe I can sew me up one those Wool, Plaid Bowman's Brush jackets by next fall! Rick when I was looking for Yarn in most them places for my own string silencers the women in them places looked at me kind of funny and I thought "I bet they think I'm one them "Funny Fella's" so I got out of the sewing thread isle real quick if ya know what I mean...I don't mind looking for those things when my wife is by my side but it's kind of scary when I'm all alone if ya know what I mean  :eek:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©