3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Books on Trad  (Read 610 times)

Offline mnimz

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Books on Trad
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm coming back from the dark side (wheelies)and getting into traditional after a long absence.  I want to get this year off to the right start by reading some good books on the subject of traditional archery shooting and hunting.  Does anyone having any suggestions?  I've heard some say that reading about instinctive shooting just messes up their form.  Any thoughts, opinions?  Thanks!

Offline Scott Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Books on Trad
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I just recently switched from the 'dark side' as well and enjoy reading G. Fred Asbell.  Instinctive shooting 1 and 2 and also the Stalking and Still hunting book he wrote.

I have practiced his methods and achieved better accuracy in the process.  I'm not where I want to be as a trad shooter, but I feel I can get there by doing what he writes about in the books.

Hope this helps!

Scott
"I hunt not to kill, I kill to have hunted."
"Aim small, miss small."

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Books+DVD%27s+Shooting+the+Stickbow_c42_s18_p92_i7832_product.html

A book that covers everything from A to Z. This book was a long time in the making, and Tony is one heckuva nice guy.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Howard Hill Hunten the Hard Way,2nd on the Asbell book,Ishi the last Indian,The Zen of archery.And TBM   :thumbsup:    :coffee:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
don thomas, longbows of the far north,

nice hunting stories 100% trad
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
A book that covers everything from A to Z. This book was a long time in the making, and Tony is one heckuva nice guy.
Sorry, I can't let that one go.  This is a book written by a guy who's main "credentials" are teaching scouts, doing some "trick shooting" for a soap opera years ago, and playing the role of "Robin Hood" at a rennesance fair.  No tournament wins (other than maybe local), no bow kills, period.

His "information" includeds referring to bowyers who offer tillering options as ignorant and/or con artists (this would include almost every custom bowyer in business);  that "nock fit doesn't matter";  that will argue "for every inch you draw past 28" you gain 10# worth of performance on average"........the list could go on.  The book seems to contain some accurate information, but nothing that can't be garnered from any reliable source.

You will be much better served spending your money with someone who has proven themselves in the sport.

For hunting stories, anything by the Wensels, stories about Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, etc. etc. etc.

For instruction, I believe Rick McKinney has a book or three out, and videos like "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III" will get you on track much quicker and save you hours of aggravation and frustration.

Chad

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
IMO, "The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook" by T.J. Conrads is by far the most comprehensive reference on trad archery and bowhunting currently in print.  Very much worth the cost.      :thumbsup:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mnimz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input!  Great info!

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
I came back two years ago. I have to agree with what Winterhawk1960 and Fletcher said.

"Shooting the Stickbow" by Tony Camera
and
"The Traditional Bowhunters Handbook" by TJ Conrads
Are both great books. They should help get you on the right track. Also the Master's of the Barebow DVD series is a great learning tool.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
All of the Ashbell books make good reading. Never been to the DARK SIDE. LOL
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I'm an avid reader. Asbell's two books on instinctive shooting and the one on stillhunting are must reads. Instinctive Shooting II is without peer when it comes to describing how to hold the longbow versus the recurve. Just my opinion but you did ask. Good luck in your search. May all your arrows fly true and your hits result in quick kills.  :thumbsup:

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

The Old Bowhunter, Chester Stevenson

Man Made of Elk, David Peterson

Any issue of Traditional Bowhunter Magizine

There are tons more but these are some not already mentioned that are on the top of my list. I do not read "how to" books for the reason you mention above so I cannot offer any recommendations if that is what you are looking for.

Some videos to consider (again no "how to's"):

Lost Antler

Traditional Adventures (any of them)

Primal Dreams

Lettin' Loose

,are some of my favorite.

Welcome back!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
I agree that T.J. Conrads book is pretty comprehensive and would be an excellent read for the novice...as well as a good review for some of us old phartts.  (I just wish such a book were available when I began shooting stickbows in the early 60's.)

Another favorite is Fred Anderson's "Traditional Way".  Rather than a how-to book, it is filled with a great sense of love, history, and tradition of our sport.
Lon Scott

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
we come in all shapes, sizes and ages. my advise would be read everytthing you can get your hands on and check out your local library. try it all out anduse what works for you. I would also get a subscription to Traditional bowhunters Magazine

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I have always enjoyed Asbells books and have always gleaned some information from them. Reread chapter after chapter. For "how to" and "why" stuff they are hard to beat.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Terry in Ore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
A Thousand Campfires

Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers

The Bowyer's Craft

all by Jay Massey

Offline Dale Sharp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
"The Traditional Way" by Fred Anderson.
"To me, how you take an animal and how you conduct the hunt, and what you gain from the experience is what bowhunting is all about."
-Jay Massey

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
instinctive archery insights
Jay Kidwell
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
Any of Gene Wensel's books.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
SHOOTING THE STICKBOW BY ANTHONY CAMERA
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©