3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Books on Trad  (Read 609 times)

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Books on Trad
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
I agree, TJ Conrad's book is really a great one for anyone, new or old, to Trad.. Really covers everything in well written detail..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/Books+DVD%27s+Shooting+the+Stickbow_c42_s18_p92_i7832_product.html  

A book that covers everything from A to Z. This book was a long time in the making, and Tony is one heckuva nice guy.

Winterhawk1960
I have read this book also.  It is not trad or bow hunting.  It is about stick bows and covers a very wide range of info on them from proper form, mental, aiming, history, what a stick bow is and how it works, physical, strength, and a whole lot more.  It is the best all around technical info I have found in one package.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
I have a few books and alot of videos that i have looked over and they can give some good pointers to those who have never tried traditional. Although i have found that the best way is to pick that bow up and shoot. Soon the Ishi will come out in all of us as we were designed to be hunters from the beginning. My advise if you already know the basics of instinctive shooting is to clear your mind and let the bow teach you how to handle it. Before every shot i take i imagine the arrow in the bullseye, then i drill a hole in it with my eyes and let it happen. If you are distracted it probably wont work for you, good luck and have fun
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I have a few books and alot of videos that i have looked over and they can give some good pointers to those who have never tried traditional. Although i have found that the best way is to pick that bow up and shoot. Soon the Ishi will come out in all of us as we were designed to be hunters from the beginning. My advise if you already know the basics of instinctive shooting is to clear your mind and let the bow teach you how to handle it. Before ev ery shoot i take i imagine the arrow in the bullseye, then i drill a hole in it with my eyes and let it happen. If you are distracted it probably wont work for you, good luck and have fun
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Thumbs up on books by G. Fred Asbell.  I also like Beginner's Guide to Traditional Archery by Brian Sorrells, and books by Byron Ferguson and Jay Kidwell.  E. Donnall Thomas' books are just great fun to read.

I recommend you read as many books as you can. One thing I found to be very useful is to read about a technique, then go right to my basement where I can shoot very short distances to try differences in stance, grip, cant, release, etc., just to see how something feels.

You will find some things work for you, some things don't, and some things just don't feel right.  But reading as much as you can may shorten your learning curve.  I would also recommend O.L. Adcock's tuning guide as a very good resource on tuning all those new to trad gear should read.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline kbertsch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
hunting with the bow and arrow by saxton pope and one of the most interesting ones to come out in a long time is Fred Andersons The Traditional Way, lots of history and interesting stories.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©