3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew sickness!!  (Read 2650 times)

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew sickness!!
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by A.S.:
David, I think about that bow often. It was one of the most fun-to-shoot bows that I have ever owned. If you ever decide to sell it, please keep me in mind. I kick myself ofter for letting it go!    :banghead:  

Allen
She's a sweetie for sure. I was sold when I took my first buck with it. The deer was really big bodied, and I remember right before I dropped the string in the back of my mind I was hearing 51#,only 51# (being used to 60#) as the arrow slipped though and the buck jumped but only ran a few steps. I sat there watching him as he looked around and reached to take a bite off a bush and started to stagger before going down while I thought yeah...51#.
 The reason I am wanting another is that the takedown would travel so well, plus I am traying to talk myself into a 54".
 I still like my recurves (even though they don't get shot as much) but really for a hunting bow the SCH pretty much has it all.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Wish I was left handed shooter. I would be all over Ron's bow like white on rice. Uh oh I may be getting infected with that mysterious shrew virus for which there is only one treatment.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Allen looks like you got a winner.  Always love reading the shrew threads.  If you shrew owners start a club, I vote Allan as historian (not that Ron needs any one to help).
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
The virus is spreading in me, so the CH is available in 56", site says 52 and 54. Drawing 29.5 I think I'd like the longer length. Any thoughts from you longer draw guys?

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
katman,

A 56" would be perfect for you.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I have the 56" and love it, but everybody says the 54 is good for longer draws and a takedown 54" would really pack and travel well.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Dave,
I thought the same thing about the 54" vs the 56".  So I picked up one of each.  

For a 29" draw the 56 is the way to go.  You gain a lot of stability over the 54" offering.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Thanks Java Man, now I just need to shoot one before I commit to a take down, some common sense kicking in. Very few trad shooters here. Wonder if there is a loaner program for those not making it to a big shoot?

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Dang, Them Shrew bows are all over the place.  I love all of mine too!  This is my travel bow bolt CH...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
stunning.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Beautiful bow.  I've never had the chance to shoot one...but hope to some day.

Offline loneviking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2011, 03:12:00 AM »
What a gorgeous bow!  I really like the look of the quiver as well.  Is that a quiver that Ron sells?  I'm a lefty that shoots a righty bow with my left hand.  I need a quiver that is tall enough to slide my right hand under.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
I know that there is just the right bow for each archer, but for me I can't imagine anyone not enjoying Shrews.
   Larry

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
My buddy down south talked me out of my shrew as it was to heavy for me ,but man did it shoot nice!I miss her already.I can forsee one in my near future.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Loneviking said,

What a gorgeous bow! I really like the look of the quiver as well. Is that a quiver that Ron sells? I'm a lefty that shoots a righty bow with my left hand. I need a quiver that is tall enough to slide my right hand under.  
Have you ever considered switching to a LH bow? Shooting a RH bow left handed makes it hard it keep the arrow on the shelf unless you might be rotating your wrist so that the back of your hand is against your face..   :confused:  ..at any rate it's not the best method for good shooting.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Yeah man Ive sure been afflicted.     This is "Five-Oh" and its a nasty little stick.

Offline loneviking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Loneviking said,

Have you ever considered switching to a LH bow? Shooting a RH bow left handed makes it hard it keep the arrow on the shelf unless you might be rotating your wrist so that the back of your hand is against your face..    :confused:   ..at any rate it's not the best method for good shooting. [/b][/QUOTE]

Nope, I'm not rotating my wrist and yes, I've tried switching to LH.  Doesn't work, can't keep the arrow on the shelf no matter what I try.  

I was probably 11 when my dad drug home a green fiberglass 45 lb. stick bow. He didn't know how to shoot it, but he knew I'd been wanting one. Now, this is in the 70's, with no internet and nobody around to show me how to use a bow. So, I fooled around with it for a few weeks and figured out a way to shoot that worked well for me.

And I am accurate with the way I shoot.  I'm left handed, left eye dominant and it never made sense to put the arrow on the right side of the bow. On the left side of the bow the hand/eye/shelf are all on the same side.  

It's fun to walk into a sporting goods store and ask to shoot a bow. The look on their face when I shoot a righty left handed, and right on into the target is like:    :eek:

Thanks for posting the pics on the quiver Ron. That one looks like it could just work! I'm guessing it's one of the ones over on your site?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
 And I am accurate with the way I shoot. I'm left handed, left eye dominant and it never made sense to put the arrow on the right side of the bow. On the left side of the bow the hand/eye/shelf are all on the same side.  
I'm not trying to be condescending but...  It just ain't natural..    :archer2:

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Yeah man Ive sure been afflicted.        This is "Five-Oh" and its a nasty little stick.
Wow...can you identify the woods in that riser? Beautiful!
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©