3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those who have been to Alaska.......  (Read 762 times)

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
For those who have been to Alaska.......
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
I will be traveling to Ak in Sept for a moose hunt. This is a do-it yourself flyin hunt.
I am debating on which bow to take:
My longbow which is one piece or my takedown 'curve.
I have travelled around the county with the one piece in a tube with no problems.
I have never been in a bush plane, would a one piece in a tube be a big hassle.
Would love to hear from those of you who have made a trip like this.
Thanks

chris <><

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those who have been to Alaska.......
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
It won't matter in the Super Cub.  It will be a pain on the commercial flights if you take the longbow.  I like to hide my recurve in my luggage...the less they can see the less trouble you will have!

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I do the same as Steve O. I wrap my limbs and riser with bubble wrap and then cover it with a tube sock. Ive seen guys take there flyrods in tubes on the plane with them I wouldn't think a long bow would be much different. I guess you could check with the airlines. m2c.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Agree with Steve O, commercial flight will be the problem.  The "bush flight" will be no problem as they'll just strap the bow case to the wing struts if it will not fit inside.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Consult Orion, he may want to weigh in on this one, as him and I have had this discussion many times.  I love the breakdown capabilities of a three piece take down recurve (or longbow), however a one piece longbow may not be as much of a hassle as you think for flying in.  I have traveled to New Zealand with a one piece Hill and would probably never do that again.  Compact and stowed safely away is my preference.  Good luck with your decision.  

Kris

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
This is one of the reason Fred Bear designed his TD.I flight every year but I never carry a 1 piece bow with all those airlines restrictions.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I like the TD as well.  The airlines baggage handling systems are not designed to handle long tubes.  They can stick out of the baggage cart, don't travel down the automatic luggage movers, and are just subject to so much abuse and problems.  My partner on a trip to BC last year almost threw up last year when his one piece tube came down the track with the top section dangling.  Luckily the bow survived.

The other problem is that now with the extra baggage charges you are probably looking at a minimum of $25 each way for the extra piece of luggage.  A T/D just goes into your regular bag.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Fred Bear carried his 3pc bows ON the plane wth him.  Fred Bear had a CCW for a pistol in Canada.  Onions is no Fred Bear   ;)  and this is not 1960.

There is NO WAY you are going to take a BOW into the fuselage of a commercial airliner from the lower 48.  Yes, people take fishing rods (break down fishing rods) and musical instruments, but I don't know if you can even bring an umbrella in there any more.  

Chris, I used to be a Platinum Frequent Flyer and took my bow on many, many, many business and hunting trips.  Save yourself the hassle and hunt with your longbow at home, or ship it to your flight service ahead of time.  You do NOT want to deal with the customer service/baggage people.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Mailing it would probably be cheaper and you have more room for stuff.  That being said I never flew with a bow but I did fly to Alaska with a brand new metal gun case.  The airline put a hole through it and my scope was 6 inches off.  I'd hate to be 6 inches off with my arrows on a griz!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
we were headed on a bear hunt to Canada and met up with Mickey Lotts at the airport going on his hunt.  We made it through the check station ahead of him to see his one pc longbow in a pvc tube bent in half by getting caught between a concrete barrier and a pole while on the baggage cart.

Lucky for him it only took off the tip overlay and he was able to superglue back in place.

Take the TD, that's what they are for.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I've used a PVC pipe to transport my longbows to and from Alaska twice.  Never had a problem with commercial airlines.  No problem at all in the bush planes.  The pilot will make it fit almost anywhere, sans PVC pipe at that point.  Though I've never had any trouble traveling with a longbow in a PVC pipe, I will probably use takedowns in the future just because the package is so much smaller ad manageable

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
If this is not a time for a TD I don't know when it would be   :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I doubt that your one piece will be in a tube when you hit the bush plane.  When ever I flew weight was a problem and the weight of a tube can be taken up with something important that tastes good.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I live work and play in Alaska year round and almost never leave the state. When I do leave it's to see family and hunt! This year I borrowed a 2 piece takedown to hunt whitetails in Michigan and my wife took her three piece. Lack of practice and confidence in that borrowed bow cost me meat, first thing I did when I got home is get a Kodiak TD. Since then I've also discovered the TD is much easier to pack in too back country hunts. My only regret is not getting a good take down years ago.

I don't even know why there is any question here.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I would take a three piece takedown or a short two piece takedown bow for all the reasons stated by others. That's what they were made for.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
We picked up our one piece bows on the return flight from Africa last year.  Glad we didn't need them for the hunt.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
I vote for the take down.  It's easier to pack and a lot easier to deal with.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »
You could always mail it to a fellow waller ahead of your arrival and hook up in whatever city you flew into.  Even in Anchorage the Airport is only 10 minutes away.  Food for thought.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
I have been fortunate to take several out of state/country hunting trips in my life. In my opinion a take down bow is the only way to go when using commercial airlines. When taking a 3 piece, I pack my limbs in a bow sleeve and handle in a sock placed in the center of my luggage cushioned by clothing. My prefered bow for backpack and horseback hunts is a 2 piece T/D longbow. I do the same putting the halves in a bow sock and placing it in the center of a duffle.

Friend of mine was waiting for his cased bow in the oversize line at the Calgary airport one time. When an employee opened the door to come out he saw another employee throwing some hunters gun case threw the air across the room. I'd rather not trust my one piece bows to the special handling.
Jack Shanks

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Thanks to all for your opinions/experiences.
My real concern was how my one piece would fit in a bush plane. Sounds like it will not be any real trouble.
I have done a number of flights with my one piece in large tube, which contains my quiver, arrows and even hunting clothes. Never a problem, other then, it's a little cumbersome carrying it into the airport.
I have also travelled with my T/D a few times, and the last time it was damaged pretty bad (a large chip off the shelf)!
I guess it proves you never know with baggage handlers.
I think the best advice in this thread is to ship the bow out a month or so ahead.  
Thanks again.
Also, Steve O is right I am not Fred Bear......I am right handed (LOL)!!!

chris <><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©