3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those who have been to Alaska.......  (Read 761 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those who have been to Alaska.......
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Chris,

If they can damage my stuff like this, they have really done their job...

IF you can get it there, the Bush Pilot will find a spot inside the Super Cub.  He could always bungee it to a wing strut too.   :D

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
a one piece will work fine, they can strap the bow to the wing struts if you need too in the pvc tube. They do this all the time with guns and racks.

Depending on what you fly in a 1 piece will work just fine.   I prefer a takedown, makes the pack out easier, less things to worry about if you bust your tail  ;) .   Plus it gives you both hands when packing heavy loads.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
The only thing I would add is this:

You're going on a special trip and you'll plan long and hard to get things right. You want 100% of your gear to make it in with you intact...not lost or broken. Don't rationalize that "this will work ok". Be as sure as you possibly can, and take as few chances as necessary. Remember that Murphy travels with you everywhere...and things are just tougher in Alaska. Have a blast!

Kevin

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Thanks again everyone!

Steve O, I like the looks of your setup. What kind of bag and case is that?

Thanks

chris <><

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I've flown with one piece longbows to Alaska and the Canadian Provinces without a problem. Of coarse that was before 9-11,... things are different now. Also I always took two bows in case something happened to one of them.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Ron, there is no change since 9-11 on bows.   But it's not like not so many years ago when I carried a bob lee takedown as carry on, with broadhead arrows in the case LOL!

onion, I dont know where you're flying into, but if you need someone to ship gear too, I have plenty of extra space in the geeerage.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Ron, I'd recommend you consider mailing a backup.  That way you can do the one piece or takedown.  With excess baggage charges what they are, you're probably money ahead with the mailing.  
 \\

There are a few of us here, like AKDAN noted.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Chris,

That is a Boyt drop bottom roller bag and a custom Americase aluminum hard case.

Lots of places like Cabelas have drop bottom rolling bags and you just have to look around for a take down shoutgun hard case to fit in the bottom.  That combo probably has a half a million miles on it and is nearing the end of its useful life.

In the past 5 years, I alternate between this combo and a hard rolling golf bag.  Don't have to break my rifles down that way and you can fit quite a bit in there and not have any questions asked.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
If you shoot both equally as well then t/d for sure. If not then by all means take the one peice. If I was going on a trip like that and there was more than one hunter I would consider bringing both just for the extra insurance. Hiking in Ak can be rough and I suppose a spare stickbow wouldn't be to a bad idea.- Steve

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Chris,

"I think the best advice in this thread is to ship the bow out a month or so ahead." Onions

I would prefer to show up with my bow in hand, so to speak, or at least with all my other gear.  Even shipping has its glitches. I agree with most of the other responses, a TD is hard to beat.  Better yet take two TD's, or two sets of limbs.

Best of Luck

Kris

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
I flew to CO a couple years ago, and because of the length the airline was gonna charge me an arm and a leg, so I opted to ship it to the outfitters a week or so before my flight.

When I got into camp, he had it waiting for me.
The only down side to this is not being able to practice with it right up until I left. Soon as I got into camp, spend some time shooting, and then off to chase elk.

I do not trust baggage handlers. Too many horror stories, and if I get to camp and find I don't have a bow, its just a sightseeing trip.

I would look into shipping it. Perhaps take your takedown RC along with you, and that way you have a backup bow.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Steve- We always had to declare our bows and sign a paper saying they were unloaded (similar to firearms). Do you declare your bow in the checked baggage when you travel?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Hb,

no.  I just went home last fall and I've never had to declare a bow.  Sounds like someone doesnt know what a bow is LOL!

Kris,

You could easily ship it out a few days to a week in advance and it would arrive here before you left, obviously depending on how you go about shipping.   Boy never thought I was the mischeivous type (untrustworthy) being I basically offered up my place to a complete stranger..hmm how many bows guns mounts and gear do I own shew.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Ak Dan,  Ditto I picked up on that too being cause I opened the door for an offer to bring it to the airport.  Just shrugged it off as someone who has no trust in people.  I feel sorry for him.  It's kind of like all those who won't ship to Alaska.  They just don't know that we are part of the U.S. too.!

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
AkDan...thanks for the offer. However, one of my hunting buddies, brother lives in Anchorage. We plan on shipping our stuff to his place.
My thoughts were to ship the bow out one month before we go. This way I am sure it will be there by the time we arrive. In the meantime, I will shoot the my longbows twin sister!
Thanks again to everyone!!

chris <><

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
np onion...hope your hunt goes great and post plenty o pics!  We love seeing them!

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Here' an example that stuff actually comes to AK. Thurs pm friend mailed my dog shock collar from Hilger, MT.  See if you can find it.

The collar got here today (monday).  You sure don't need a month in advance.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
You do not need to declare a bow and arrow. You MUST declare a firearm. Bows are the same as golf clubs, fishing poles, skis, ect. to the airlines.  The tag/form that gets signed is for firearms only.

If anybody asks, I tell them, but they hardly ever ask.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©