3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting Started in Archery  (Read 490 times)

Offline cbushee

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting Started in Archery
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
I was wanting to get started in archery. I don't want a compound because I feel it's too detached from archery. I like the recurve because it's still traditional but has better performance than the longbow, also the longbow is harder to come by for beginners and price. I'd like to buy a youth bow at an archery shop that I've been looking at. My draw length is 28" and I'd start with the draw weight of 35#. My only problem is that I'm 14 and have little money. I can't decide if I should start in archery or buy a .22 rifle. The youth bow is cheaper than a $220 rifle but to go deer hunting, the recurves are very expensive. Granted, a deer rifle is expensive too but I could borrow one. So, my question is should I invest in archery or marksmanship with a rifle? I would hunt once I'd reached an acceptable level of accuracy. If I get involved in archery will I outgrow my youth bow too quickly? Lastly, if I enjoy archery I was thinking I'd learn to make bows and arrows. Thank you for your time and patience.
Mad Dog Prowler ll 40#@30"

"Don't take your personal experience as universal truth."
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."-Ghandi

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting Started in Archery
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
Interesting questions, welcome to tradgang, hunting and maybe archery. First do you have any older relatives that hunt? If so you may want to use what they hunt with to start. At your age learning the basics and the ethics of a good hunter are far more important than what you hunt with. You can always take up archery later if there are no archers in your family now. 35# is the bottom end of what would be considered OK for deer, you would have to be a very good shot with one but deer are not out of reach. I would be concerned about the quality of a new bow under $220 though. Not all bows are the same by a long shot and cheap bows can be harder to shoot. However there are some top quality used bows that can be had for around $200 or less. Watch Craig's list in your area for a Bear or Pearson and see whats available before you buy new.

Bowyering and arrowsmithing are a whole different topic. Hunt for awhile and see what you enjoy then look at making bows if your drawn to archery.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
Well each of us have to find their own path and discover their passion. Here is my story. I hunted the midwest when I was your age, I loved hunting but I never was big on shooting. When I was 20 I moved to Alaska and hunted and shot everything you can here, but once again it was the hunt that was my passion and not shooting. All this time I would travel to travel to Minn for deer gun season with the family. My brother would hunt with us for a day or so and that was it because he was into archery hunting and didn't enjoy the gun season much. Fast forward about 30yrs and I go down there before gun season and my brother talks me into an archery hunt. Sure enough I go out the first day I held a compound bow and shoot a nice doe. So I bought my own compound and shot it enough to be able to shoot and kill and 35yrds. Once again I enjoyed the hunt and not the shooting. Then a few years ago I get a wild hair and bought my first longbow. Now my passion to shoot is equal to my passion to hunt.

There would be nothing wrong buying a rifle and learning how to hunt first and then take it to the next level and get a bow,especially at your age. If I had to do it all over again at your age that's what I would do. Rifle hunt a couple of years and then get a trad bow. I loved my 22 when I was a kid, it got me in the woods and I shot everything that moved(and ate it), I learned alot about hunting just being in the woods and being observant.

There are many inexpensive great used recurves under 200 that you could hunt deer with so don't let that stop you. I would not buy a new bow as you are likely to out grow it pretty fast at your age. Have fun making the decision,life is full of them.-- Steve

Offline cbushee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
Where can I buy a recurve for around 140$ that has 35# to 40# and 28". I wouldn't mind a used bow. I think I'm going to start into archery. I've shot rifles like the 10/22 before with relatives and my grandfather is a gun nut. I can always shoot with them. I loved my kid bow when I was young. What about people here who make bows? I'd pay them around 140$ for a recurve.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
Most of the builders here get considerably more than that for there bows, I sometimes spend that on wood to build a bow out of.

Used is the least expensive way to get a bow and you will end up with the best bow possible for the amount you have to spend. I check E bay and my local Craigs list. Yard sales and your local classified adds can also be good places to look. Be patent and you'll find a good bow.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
I would look into an older Bear Grizzly, they are a work horse and can be had for what your wanting to spend! I have one for my son thats in excellent shape that I picked up here for $125 in the classifieds!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
... or you could save a little more cash and look into the Maddog bows! I hear nothing but good about them! Mike is a sponsor here!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
There are several good beginner recurves for under $200, in fact some for as little as $125.
You don't have to start hunting with deer.  At your age I started my bowhunting with carp.  What a ball, wished I could have those days back.  There are also rabbits and a multitude of small game.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
cbushee ...

first, welcome to trad gang!

second, if yer only 14 years old your registration shows a birth year of 1980 ... ?

third, before you do a thing, i'd recommend your read this first ...  www.tradgang.com/docs/newbies.html
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I think every kid should own a .22 rifle.  I did as a kid and loved every minute spent with it.  They are not cheap these days but good rifles can be bought used at shows or stores but you need your parents to buy it at your age and you need a hunter safety course and compentent instruction, and range time before using it.

Others have given good advice on the bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
WELCOME To The FAMILY Of "TRADGANG"!!!   :wavey:    :campfire:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick P:
Interesting questions, welcome to tradgang, hunting and maybe archery. First do you have any older relatives that hunt? If so you may want to use what they hunt with to start. At your age learning the basics and the ethics of a good hunter are far more important than what you hunt with. You can always take up archery later if there are no archers in your family now. 35# is the bottom end of what would be considered OK for deer, you would have to be a very good shot with one but deer are not out of reach. I would be concerned about the quality of a new bow under $220 though. Not all bows are the same by a long shot and cheap bows can be harder to shoot. However there are some top quality used bows that can be had for around $200 or less. Watch Craig's list in your area for a Bear or Pearson and see whats available before you buy new.

Bowyering and arrowsmithing are a whole different topic. Hunt for awhile and see what you enjoy then look at making bows if your drawn to archery.
Rick:

As a newbie myself, I'd have to disagree with you on this one. The Samick Sage I bought on sale for $99 is performing quite well - for a newb that is. I think it is now $119 at 3Rivers and for $60, one can increase the limb weights as they progress. Pete Ward gave it a nice review, and when I brought it over to Dave Dwyer's, he even commented that it was a nice bow "for the money" in regards to tiller specs and no stacking.

I think someone would lose only 30 - 40 bucks on resale if they decided it wasn't for them.

Tim

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
i agree with tim.

newbies should be starting off with real low holding weight bows, perhaps not even hunting legal.  don't matter if yer a weight lifter, there's new muscle combinations to train.

hard to find lightweight and worthy bows on the classifieds, but those new, cheap asian bows will work just fine for a budding newbie who may just stay the course and move up to heavier, better tackle.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline cbushee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Thank you for your advice. In regards to the rifle, I have my hte and I wouldn't hunt deer with a 35# or #40 bow. I enjoyed my youth bow when I was younger and I have relatives that I can shoot firearms with. I'll either try to find a bow used or buy the mohegan youth bow(link below). A local archery shop has a similar model that I test fired and enjoyed. Thank you again for your time and patience.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bows+Youth++Mohegan+Recurve+Bow+By+Greatree+Archery_c44_s94_p0_i2470X_product.html

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
If you were my boy I would have you get a light bow of probably 25# at your draw and on the long side of at least 60".  It would depend on your size and strength, but like Rob said you use muscles with a bow, that you don't use for much else so light is right.  If you are really pulling 28" now you will probably pull more in the future as you grow so It would serve you well and you can shoot it a long time.  Noting wrong with shooting a light bow to learn and refine form.  Most adults shooing 70# compounds can't really have good form out of the gate with more than a 45# trad bow and you have no bow shooting background.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline cbushee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I'm 6'1" and around 160 lbs. I think I'll be okay with #35 or #30. I'll need to remeasure my draw length as it was 28" awhile back. I'm probably going to order the mid sized recurve from mad dog archery. I'm looking for a used bow right now on here and leather wall. I need more posts though for me to post a wanted ad here.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Where in Pa. are you located?

Offline cbushee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
In emsworth, pittsburgh, western pa. Allegheny county near butler and mercer county. Places in mercer county are fine as I visit there every weekend because my father and step mother reside in Grove city.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by cbushee:
I'm 6'1" and around 160 lbs. I think I'll be okay with #35 or #30. I'll need to remeasure my draw length as it was 28" awhile back. I'm probably going to order the mid sized recurve from mad dog archery. I'm looking for a used bow right now on here and leather wall. I need more posts though for me to post a wanted ad here.
Did you see the one on LW listed as "IDEAL FIRST BOW FOR A LADY OR KID (NEW) "?  That is a nice long recurve bow for you, but it is lite at about 25#, but belive me you will learn a lot better at that weight and can sell if off later.  AT 6'-1" and growing you could be a longer draw anyway.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Build your own,its not that hard and a lot of fun.You can build a  nice Red oak lumber yard bow for about $5.00.There's a wealth of information available on the net(search Board Bows) and the Boyers Bench forum here has many fine folks willing to walk you through it. PM me if I can help....Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©