3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: funny novelties in your den.  (Read 488 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
funny novelties in your den.
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:27:00 AM »
anyone care to share some of the funny novelty items that are in your den?

when i get my den going i'll have a flip over sign on the door with one side saying' "gone hunting" and the other, "gone fishing".

another good one is a rabbit trap on the wall with the latch discreetly welded, holding it set with a red button on the trigger mechanism. underneath will be a sign saying, "complaints, push red button".

another is a spear with an old rifle scope wired to it. gets a laugh every time.

any to share?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: funny novelties in your den.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
I have a Wild Turkey foot mounted on a plaque with the middle toe extended into the "Your Number One" position.   :saywhat:

Whenever someone asks me, "What the heck is that?" I just say:

"That one was tough, He went down FIGHTING!!"    

:archer:  
>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :biglaugh:  nice one!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »
Here is my favorite.  Everyone has to check it out.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
What is that a beaver?

Offline Fishers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
I display the skulls from a coyote & black bear I shot, as well as the bone from the bear's "private parts." My guide told me that bears & raccoons are the only animals with an actual bone there, but I don't know if that's true. Good conversation piece, though. I also have kept a tooth from an elk skull I found in Colorado. I always keep all my turkey beards & spurs, too, & any shed antlers I find. Can't throw stuff like that away.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
I have a sign:   "This place smells of wet boots and old men: Enter at your own risk."

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Well, I have a collection of singing fish.  My grandkids love to push the buttons, all at the same time.  I love the noise when they do it as much as they do. Den's (Man room), gotta love em.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fishers:
as well as the bone from the bear's "private parts." My guide told me that bears & raccoons are the only animals with an actual bone there, but I don't know if that's true.
Have'nt you ever heard of a "Coon d**k toothpick"

:D  

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/crazyokiestruetales/toothpicks.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/raccoonpenis.html

:knothead:

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Fishers, I think a walrus is equipped with that sort of rigid reinforcement too, called an oosik by the Eskimo. You can buy them carved and polished as a souvenir.
On my boat, I have a ruler that someone gave me for measuring fish. On one side the units of length are compressed, something like 15 inches in a foot long ruler, you use that side to measure YOUR fish. On the other side the units are elongated, maybe 9 inches in the ruler, and you use that to measure your buddy's fish.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
At my camp I keep a swizzle stick I made out of my bear kill last summer from his "private parts" and mounted a bear claw on the end for a handle.I posted it recently but was removed ,too naughty I guess.Good conversation piece and practical tool to mix a highball while super cooks at the camp.Kip

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
This curly maple artifact showcase was made by a friend over 20 years ago and is prominently displayed in our living room. As you can see there are a few "odd" items in the showcase. The dentures were found in an old dump site that was uncovered when we put in our driveway in 1990. The mummified rat came from a 50# grass seed bag. Most of the artifacts came from Coastal SC, near Hilton Head Is. There are stone points, pottery shards, shell drills, bone needles and colonial clay pipe stems. The small pot came from the Neches(sp) River in Texas. The "Mother Earth" sculpture on top is a paper mache' project my wife is working on.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Are Those Fred Bears Dentures????
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
I don't know if Fred ever lived near Western NC. They are old! A friend that makes dentures said he could tell they were old by the materials used.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
SOUNDS  Good though, doesnt it??   :goldtooth:   You have a Very Fine Collection of Artifacts!! In all the Walking, and Falling Down, I have done in My LifeTime, I have Yet to Find an Native ArrowHead!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
In Coastal SC there is no natural rock so any you find were brought in. Finding artifacts there was quite easy. Here in the Mountains of Western NC there is more rock than dirt and finding one that has been worked is very difficult. I think I have only found 1 or 2 artifacts here in the last 20 years.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fishers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Very informative links, guys. Live and learn. I'm glad to see I'm not the only "weirdo" who appreciates this kind of stuff!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Ozy - I have a couple of pandanus palm seeds I brought back from the NT when I was buffalo hunting.  Not unique for where you are from, but I reckon they are about the only ones in Indiana!  They always get looked over.

I also have a groundhog skull from one I bowkilled about 20 years back (it was, interestingly, my 50th bowkilled groundhog that year).  The top and bottom teeth didnt line up right and therefore did not grind each other down properly.  The top teeth were grown in almost a complete circle and were nearly penetrating the upper palate.  The upper teeth are probably 4-5 inches long.  I saw a picture of a groundhog in a Pennsylvania Game News from the 60's or 70's where the teeth were grown clear around and penetrated the palate into the nasal cavity.

There's your natural history lesson (or rambling) for the day!

R

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Wingnut (Mike at Dryad Bows) has got the coolest.  He has a mounted Aardvark he shot in Afrcia.  

Just plumb cool.

rusty

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fishers:
I display the skulls from a coyote & black bear I shot, as well as the bone from the bear's "private parts." My guide told me that bears & raccoons are the only animals with an actual bone there, but I don't know if that's true. Good conversation piece, though. I also have kept a tooth from an elk skull I found in Colorado. I always keep all my turkey beards & spurs, too, & any shed antlers I find. Can't throw stuff like that away.
Apparently you've never herd of a Oosik, it's the erector bone from the penis of a walrus and they are often long enough to use as a walking cane! No I Do Not own one! I'm always surprised by the stuff folks keep as "conversation pieces"!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©