3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: settin up GrizzlyStiks  (Read 1190 times)

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
settin up GrizzlyStiks
« on: April 15, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
im gettin some Grizzlystiks and i want to know what i need to get to get them set up right.

im thinkin about gettin the Sitka series, and il be shootin them out of a 45 pound longbow and recurve..  

any and all help is appreciated...
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Norwegian Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: settin up GrizzlyStiks
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
Hi, Traditional Only,
i have Grizzlystick myself and i think it is the best i have ever had, i think you are correct about getting the Sitka, they are lighter with a aluminum insert, i use the Alaskan myself but i shoot 70#.
They are wery forgiving (spinewise)because that they are tapered.
And when you dont shoot you can just sit and have a look at them!!!
They are so nice!!
Good luck! I am sure you will be satisfied.
PS: I have tried different glue, The Powerbond from Bohning is the best i have tried.
Inge
If you are a bowhunter, you are my friend!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
Sitkas will be the right choice for your poundage. Go with the brass inserts if you want a shorter heavier arrow or the aluminum if you want it longer and lighter. Pay attention to the seam in the shaft as per the instructions that come with the shafts from Ed.

They shoot great out of my longbows and recurves, same arrow.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
so what all comes with them?  

ive got like a 27 1/2 - 28 inch draw (i think)and i want the arrow to be 29 inches long as i believe that is how long my Easton Carbon Excells are. im goin to  shoot 125 gr heads with 5 inch Shields or Traditional cut feathers. (btw, does anybody sell pre-chopped Traditional cut feathers? if so can you give me a link.)

will they accept the Uni Nock system or will i have to use the 9/32 nock system?

all ive ever used is the Carbon Excells and i LOVE them, but ive heard that there discontinuing them so im switchin to the GrizzlyStiks from when i read about them in Traditional Bowhunter.  they sound like theyll hold up to my abuse...

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Referring to the 45# bow, to use broadheads weighing 265 grains, will Sitka's spine still be effective? What about with BH weighing 315 grains?

How (what additional to obtain) do you use glue-on broadheads with Sitkas?
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Katman, How do you like those Sitkas? I've been looking into getting a few to skewer stumps with- are they tough enough (as everyone says about the Alaskans)? Been shooting AMAW Birch shafts- how do the Sitkas compare to a medium-weight hardwood?

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
I've shot Sitkas and Alaskans from my bows. I've broke a few sitkas so I don't think they are as tough as the alaskans (I've never broke an alaskan.) Ed at Alaska Bowhunting Supply has been very helpful with my setup questions. One thing to remember is to follow the instructions. Grizzly Stiks have a seam that needs to be aligned right and the way to find that seam can be pretty subjective unless you're used to it. Like I said earlier Ed has always been very helpful. I'd call him if I had any questions about setup or problems getting these arrows to tune properly.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
id get the alaskans but i shoot too low poundage for them to be good out of my bow, thats why  im gettin the sitkas. prolly gonna get a dozen, what does the seam look like?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
CC, love the Stikas but I have broken a few, sometimes I hit hard things other than intended target. It is tougher than the douglas firs I shot a while back. It is the most forgiving arrow I have shot. The CX heritage has proven to be a very tough shaft also. I have footed an 340 Axis with a 1.5" 2018 aluminum shaft and it is as tough as nails, don't know what would break it. If your looking for tough this is it. I have a few alaskans and they are tougher the Sitkas but stiffer spined and need to be full length for me with 275 total point weight and 55# recurve.
With the 75 gr brass insert I can shoot 100-250 grain field points with very good flight, a little wobble with 85 and 300 grain points and the arrows are 29.5"

You can easily find the seam by rolling the arrow under a stress, Ed explains this well in the instructions he sends with the shafts. Buy them full length uncut with the 75gr brass inserts, and then bareshaft tune to get your final length, you will probably end up with around 30" with your 125 point, brass inserts and draw weight. If you want it shorter you will have to up the point weight.

I am currently playing around with the Axis and MFX shafts going for extreme FOC, have one now with 23% flying like darts 600 grain total.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
i went ahead and bought them 30" before i read this, so maybe itll be alright...

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
At 30" you may need the 75 grain brass insert. If they come out to stiff for you it won't take long to sell them on the clasified section, grizzlysticks move fast.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
i went ahead and bought the 72 grain inserts as well, and anything is better than what im usin now, there 45-60's so ther not really spined too well for my 45# bows...

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Gang:

I've got a "matching pair" of Widows on the way- a longbow and a recurve both having a draw weight of 52# at 28". I typically shoot 29 3/4", 2216s out of my other Widow recurve which pulls 57# at 28".

I've been considering giving the Grizzlystik a try because of my desire to shoot the same arrows from both bows (again, recurve and long bow- both 52# at 28" with a 29 3/4" arrow).

My preference would be to shoot the Alaskan because of its extra weight and (assumed) extra durability relative to the Sitka. My understanding is that the Sitka probably lends itself better to a 52# bow. My question is: Do you think I can get good performance out of an Alaskan shaft using a 52# Widow or is this simply going to be too much arrow for a 52# bow regardless of how much I front load the shaft using heavy point/instert/broadhead combinations?
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
Spoke with the owner of A.B. Co. and he didn't seem to have a strong recommendation one way or the other. Although, he did seem to lean toward the Sitka.

TTT
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Loading up an Alaskan will take you over the 700 grain mark very quickly: 29 in shaft, 85 grain brass insert, 125 grain steel glue on adapter, 145 grain point=terrific heavy arrow with lots up front!
If you do any less up front you will be way too stiff with the Alaskan for the 52#. IMHO

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Bjorn:

A.B. CO. says the Alaskan weighs in around 11 gpi, on average, factoring in the taper. That's about 329g for a 29" arrow. The brass inserts are listed at 75g; This increases the weight to about 404. A 150g screw-in point or broadhead further increases the weight to about 550g. Add in another 50g for feathers, nock insert, nock and crest wrap (what a country!) and that takes the finished weight up to around 600 grains.

You lost me with the 125 grain steel glue on adapter. I'm not familiar with this. Would a 600g Alaskan work out of a 52# Widow longbow and recurve?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
That's my dilemma too, Huckleberry. I want a 600 grain Alaskan for my 49# CSX, and I think it will work if they are about 29.5 to 30". I need to get another Alaskan shaft to test 'cause I cut the last one too short! LOL!! Guess I will know in a week or so. Good luck with your set up.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
ttt

ok, ive got my arrows today, and my nock is WAY to the left of mypoint when i shoot it. that means that ive not got enough spine, right??

so i need ytalls help on this now...

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I shoot the grizzly out of my recurve: 58# at 31". The grizzly total length is 31.5" and the brass insert with wrap and 4" feathers and 125gr tip is right at 620gr total +/-. This is the best flying arrow I have found yet.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
i put the feathers on one and ift flew like a dart, perfeclty straight, i think im just gonna leave em like that...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©