3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm getting soft------------  (Read 617 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm getting soft------------
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
With the latest snow fall here in Coshocton, we have roughly 8-10" on the ground and I thought it might be nice to go sit in my blind and try and shoot a deer last night, before muzzleloader season kicks in today.
About 4 pm a doe and 2 fawns came in and though I had them dead to rights several times, I just didn't do it! I must be getting soft, because they looked so cute/cuddly looking into their big, soft, brown eyes: I just couldn't let the  string go while they were desperately digging around for food.................  :bigsmyl:    :archer:  

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm getting soft------------
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Youre  NOT  Getting Soft, You are Gaining  WISDOM!!  You weighed the Situations pretty well, I think. Either to Sit and Enjoy Nature, or Freeze Your Butt off Dressing and Butchering a Deer.
  Maybe an Infected, Impacted Tooth?? Infedtion is Infection, so it would be in the Bloodstream as well as All through the Meat, Wouldnt It?? I have  NO  Idea, just "Thinking Out Loud" I Suppose.  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Soft is good...if you`re butter.

It`s all memories for a later time.  :thumbsup:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I think you made a wise choice!
God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I have done the same many many times. seems like the older i get the less important it is to kill a deer,and more important to help the deer herd  . But dont get me  wrong deer steak and a baked potato sounds good on a cold day, But When its this cold here in kentucky -1 below I find myself feeding the deer, rabbits,squirrels and other animals with my corn feeder I made. I will go through a 50# bag of corn about every 5 days.  I put my trail camera up next to it  and have enjoyed seeing many many deer and other animals feeding under it.. Nothing wrong with having a heart...

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
I remember the Man that used to own the House my   EX  Lives in   :knothead:   , used to keep a Salt Block out along the Ridge above the Creek behind the House. I have Many Pics of the Local Deer pausing as they passed by.  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
The archer who can't understand what you wrote, has an awful lot more to learn in his life.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
I was out your way in November, hunted around Wills Creek, never saw a deer..lol. I might have passed on them also, you never know what you might do until you sitting there and your chance comes up.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
your not getting soft, at least not in my mind. i think anyone who spends any decent amount of time in the woods has done something like that at least once, if not more. passing on a doe, or a doe with little ones, or even bucks for that matter is just as much a part of hunting than harvesting a deer. watching deer and how they act, move, feed vs shooting them as soon as you have the chance is just as important as the kill. i love watching animals, especially deer, and it's not always about filling the freezer.
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I hate dressing deer in the cold!!!  It's not really the field dressing part but after field dressing!  

I've passed many times in similar situations.  As far as Ron going to Ohio and not seeing deer, well not much I can say about bad luck!   :confused:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
My brother and I went to Wy. For an antelope hunt. We had tags for either sex. On the last day of a 10 day hunt a doe came in and gave me my first good shot at 10 yards. I weighted my options (kill or not kill) and just sat back and enjoyed the rest of the day. No regrets. Loved every minute of that hunt.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Glad to hear the replies so far......a couple friends I told, couldn't believe I just let them walk; They claimed I must have missed and didnt' want to admit it  :confused:  
anyway, it was fun to just set back and watch them dig around. I'm gonna start putting out some corn in the area to give them something worth digging around for....the young mother hasn't seen this much snow in her lifetime (looked to be only 1 1/2 yr old) and would probably apprerciate some good food. Cool thing was, she had dug up something around some bushes and then backed off and let the 2 young one's eat whatever it was.
"ron w"----I can't believe you didn't see ANY deer!? the Wills Creek area is usually a good hot spot. I mostly hunt Woodbury lands; I 've seen a lot of deer, but I think the numbers are down a little from the last couple yrs.
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I pass up more shots than I take.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
It's not just deer. I pass on coyotes all the time that come in to the call. I just like to watch them hunting ME! I have found that the older you get, the less it becomes important to make a kill and the more I just enjoy the fellowship of a good friend. I can shoot targets all day and visit with my friends and be just as happy. Don't worry, your ok  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Ben, you're growing up! It's a sign of maturity as a hunter. Most hunters go through stages, from whack 'em and stack 'em to being very choosy. I too pass more than I shoot now, and if I have meat in the freezer I rarely shoot anything, although I still like to get out there and see what's happening. Hunters that are trying to prove themselves like to keep score by numbers of dead animals, but mature hunters like to measure scoring in a different way.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Nothing at all wrong with passing up a shot.  Means you're not a game hog   ;) . I believe that is evidence of having matured over a period of time in your hunting.  I have done the same and will do so again.  There is sooo much more to hunting than killing something.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I 've found out, later in life, I don't hate deer as much as I used to.  I don't want to kill'em all, anymore!
We look at old men as wise, but is it that old men are wise, or does the years just bring wisdom?
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
And as you get older you will become softer yet!
  Your future kills will have a lot to do with what is left in your freezer. You can now enjoy life to the fullest. Draw a lot ...shoot a little, we all need exercises. Enjoy taking your bow for a walk in the woods from time to time.  :bigsmyl:

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Ya my friends have been tough on me when I tell them that I passed on a shot. The kill is a small part of the hunt for me, and getting smaller all the time. Don't get me wrong ol mossy horn comes along I'll take care business. But I use the time out in the woods to escape the daily hum drum of life and recharge my batteries. I look at the wonders around me and thank the Lord for allowing me to experience it for another season.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
This thread warmed my cockles!
Hunting without respect and empathy isn't right imo..
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©