3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use snow shoes??  (Read 665 times)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone use snow shoes??
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I've got a few different ones. the ones I use the most are a set of bear paws, they work good in brushy areas (rabbit hunting) mod. bear paws will get you through the brush and work a little better in open spaces. I bought a set of the newer high tec ones last year...you know, metal frame with some kind of solid rubber for the webbing...don't like them, way to noisey for hunting. I'll stick with wooden frames and either rawhide/rope or neoprene for the webbing.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Like my bows, I like my snowshoes traditional. I started using them when I was about 10 yrs. old but my wife started with a pair her dad made her when she was about 5 and It wasn't for sport.

We use shorter, wider ones for the bush and longer, narrower ones for the river, bay, and other open areas.

I've tried many different harnesses, most of them are fine but the people here mostly just use a strip of tanned moose hide that we wrap through the snowshoe to make a loop for the front part of our foot and then simply encircle behind the heel and tie it on the side of the moccasin or boot.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I have a pair I made myself...Ojibway style. Same ones mjh made.

I took a class otherwise the directions are a bit confusing if you haven't done it before.

They were fun to make. I haven't tried them yet because I'm still putting on the last two coats of varnish.

I heard the modern types that you see in Cabelas, LL Bean etc are designed more for "working out"...walking faster on  trails and such.

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
I use mine late season deer hunting. Winter stump shooting. Even working around the yard.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I love the look of traditional snowshoes but picked a pair of modern shoes (Yakima) a few years ago and haven't looked back.  Better support in a smaller shoe and very comfortable.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I've had a set of MSR Denali's for as long a I can remember.  They've never failed, grabbed slopes that some shoes wouldn't dream of, and can adjust the tails with added floats when it really gets deep.

I bought them years ago when I did a lot of back country skiing, but they were one of the best investments I made in outdoor equipment.  If and when they break, I'll buy another set.
Support the sport!

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Hunting in MO I have never used snowshoes. Here's a ? I have never heard asked. How deep does the snow have to be before you experienced snowshoe guys put 'em on?
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
I use mountaineering Sherpas with the 1 1/2 inch crampon teeth on the bottom. The bindings rotate around a center strut and are held on with a hook and lace system, with a friction buckle to hold it tight. You can toe into a steep pitch with the toe of your boot with these, since your foot can rotate around the strut, and the heel of the snowshoe can drop to stay on the surface. The crampons work well on snow, ice, rocks, and downed trees.
I put mine on when I start sinking in to my ankles or when it is slippery. I find I usually leave them on longer than that point on the way out.
It is handy to have a couple of ski poles in hand in deeper snow or on a steep slope. I have the Black Diamond kind that telescope, so I can make one shorter than the other on long side slopes, and they have claws on the grips to self arrest with if you fall. They also fit together to make a probe, to check for crevasses (or for someone buried in an avalanche).
Snowshoes are the ATVs of winter footwear!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
How deep? The deeperthebetter!

But probably 6-8 inches minimum. When it gets hard to walk in snow with boots it will
ALWAYS be easier with nicely set up snowshoes.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
John K, once it get hard to walk. Up here in N.Y. the snow is'nt lite and fluffy like out west at higher elevations. Once we get 18" or more the shoes come out and are put to work. Late winter I have been out when the snow was over 7' in the Adirondacks, but with snowshoes you could go anyplace. Hunting Snowshoe hare they are a most have.Not a bad work out either.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Here's some traditional wood snowshoes made in Michigan.
 http://www.northwoodsoutfitters.com/Pages/AdvStore/Snowshoes.htm

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
How much more effort to walk? Just a little more, half again as much or less than walking?
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Not alot more unless the snow is real deep. You have to kind'a change your gate more than put more effort in. Not sure I said that right, its hard to explain.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
After sinking waist deep yesterday, I borrowed my husbands today.  Wow!  Love them.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Different sizes, width and lenghth and your own wieght all dictate what shoes you should use. Snow conditions also make a differance. If you go kind'a middle of the road you can cover most situations. Its hard with a bow, but a ski pole can also help you out when you first start out. It will help you keep your balance and also help you get up if you fall down.....and when your new to this you will fall down at some point...lol!

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I have a pair of Crescent Moon snowshoes.  They are aluminum and vinyl, and made in Colorado.  They make it much easier to get around in the snow, and are a blast to use.

Offline Buffalo Two Fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
John Krause,

If you are refering to how much easier snowshoes make walking. If the snow depth and condition is not tiring you out without snowshoes there is no real sense using them. However if the depth and condition of the snow is wearing you out or making it impossible to walk, then snowshoes will make a huge difference. If the snowshoes are of sufficiant size to support your weight and the bindings fit well they are easy to learn how to use.
Take care,
Brian

Offline K Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
A lot depends on the terrain you are in.  Flat or rolling hills without a lot of underbrush require a different shoe/binding set-up than steep and/or brushy conditions.  After much experimentation my wife and I setteled on the MSR Denali.  We live in a very mountainous area and nothing else works as well.  The MSR shoes have huge surface area for their small size which helps with floatation in deep and dry snow.  You can add tails of 4" or 8" if you need more floatation.  They also have built-in campons for steep ascents.  If you want a more traditional shoe I recommend contacting Country Ways.  They like the Ojibwa and it comes in 4 sizes according to weight.  They are very nice and helpful folks as well.  Their web-site is  www.snowshoe.com  and the have a toll-free number if you want to ask questions.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I got a pair of 30" Tubbs a couple years ago, and can't believe I didn't have some sooner. I now go to places both hunting and scouting that I'd stay out of otherwise due to snow depth. Even a poor day of bowhunting still has its rewards when snowshoes are involved.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
I have 3 pair of Odjibwa shoes and 2 pair Green Mountain stlye plus 1 pair of Tubbs for the wife. All of mine have A-style bindings.The wifes are trail shoes. The Objibwa's are great because the narrow point on the front works like the bow of a canoe going through soft snow. The Green Mountains a very good in firmer snow.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©