3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homebrew cameras(Build along started on photography forum))  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homebrew cameras(Build along started on photography forum))
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
how long does the battery go on these
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
Mike and Mike.....I've had a  SONY P200  laying around here for a while. It still works fine, but has gotten some dust inside and it shows on some pix, so for hunting and everyday use it's out...but....for a trail cam it would take extremely fine pix.

Do you if it can be hacked??

Like I said earlier...I used to make the 35mm tc's with the "owl" cams(as a matter of fact I think I still have 3 brand new in boxes downstairs). So I'm very familiar with building tc's.  I look forward to making some digital versions...too much fun!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to this guys.

Offline Missing Impossible

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Gererdo, generally a camera will have two AA batteries and will last about two to three weeks.  However, one can add external batteries to greatly increase the life.  With externals,  your limiting factor would probably be your memory.  Solar power is also an option with homebrews.

Guru, seems that some people hacked the P200 but I can't find any details.  My guess would be that it had a slow trigger time, weak flash or a PIA hack.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
ttt
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
UP

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
TTT

Just bought my first one and have had it out for a couple weeks.  Looking forward to this.  Should be able to get some better shots.

Can you rig one with IR flash?  Something about haveing a camera flash makes it more high profile (easier to find) than the IR does.  My hunt areas are not what I would exactly call "private".

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Got everything except for the board, ordering that today.

Marvin, yes but not this build.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
I am interested in seeing the build along.

I do wonder however what you get for building one over just buying a camera?I read earier about replacing parts yourself but then a bought camera would carry a warrenty if there were problems with it.Since building one with infrared ect would cost more than buying one if you built iT to work like the new ones.Other than just having fun doing it where is the real advantage over buying one?
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
James,
     You can build a camera with infared, etc. cheaper than the expensive models now on the market also, as posted earlier most of the cameras commonly used have much better quality lenses and take better pictures.
     I have one with a backup internal battery pack and with AA lithium, batteries I can leave it out for 3 months in the winter ( Colorado winter).
                  Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Good question James. I'll try to answer it. There are advantages to these cameras. Warrantys only last for so long. After the warranty, you pay to fix it. Or you buy a new camera. Not to mention that when there is a problem, lets say in Nov. during the rut and your scouting. Your camera goes down. You don't need to send it away to fix it, you built it! You can fix it! And then your back in business in no time. As far as quality, the proof is in the camera. These cameras have the fastest triggers I've ever seen. I still own a Cuddy and these are probably a little faster. I have owned about 8 different commercial cameras and have not had one yet that can compare to the ones missing impossible makes. This isn't marketing, cause he don't sell them. Just stating my opinion. Another reason is picture quality is much better. Once again, MY cuddy has some fuzziness to the pics. These are crystal clear. And these are only getting better. Ever see a commercial camera that offers 12.0 mexa pixels? You will on a homebrew real soon. Guys are already making them and getting ready to put the boards out.
Hopefully I was able to answer your question.
And yes, they are fun!!!

BTW- Mike ordered the board for the build so please be patient until all the materials are gathered.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
thanks..  I know with most you can read reviews and see comparisons beteen the different models.I just wonder how the homemades stack up if one was tested as the new ones are?I am in the market and have been researching it some so I am interested in how the homemades really work.I mean even some of the old cheapies will give good results if stuck on a corn pile ect.Is the picture quality the only real advantage.Some of the new ones have exceptional battery life compared to the old ones and the prices are getting more attractive as well.Now I am not trying to start anything but just want to see what is really better than say buing a sub $200 Trophy can verses building one.  :)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
You are absolutely right James. If a person just wants a camera to place on a feeder, wallow, or any other fixed application, then any old cheap camera would do. For me, I use them on alot of trail systems in heavy brush. I want a good picture and a fast trigger. Thats what I really get out of them. I guess it's what type of application an individual wants to use them for.
No offense taken, those are really good questions.
Mike P.(missing impossible) is the expert on this and I'm sure when he gets home from work he'll chime in a little. I'm only speaking for me on the subject.
And yes, they are fun!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
James, it's going to be a simple build along for those interested.  There have been several advantages already listed.  If you do not see those things listed as advantages then proceed with your store purchase.  Funny how the same cameras people buy and trust to record major events in their life like vacations and graduations are now in question because we're going to place them in a waterproof case.  Just saying.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Sorry guys did not mean to rain on your thread.  :(   I am not doubting the cameras being used btw.Just wondering about the whole package as far as trigger speeds,range ect.I know the camera itself is better than those used in trail cams.I just was wondering about the other things like ranges and stuff that is part of what makes one unit better than another.As said with a store bought unit that stuff is listed in the specs ect so it is easy to see what this many more dollars will get you.All kinds of websites to see real world comparisions on pictures,trigger times ect.I will just take your word than a homemade one is better but still it would be nice to see how they compare in those things other than just picture quality.I will wait and check out the build along.Sorry for doubting or asking questons but I try to research stuff too much at times.  :)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I have 4 homebrew cameras,none made by me.They all use a 4MP Sony Cybershot and take excellent pictures.

I have not used any commercial digitals to compare but the trigger speeds are good.Another advantage is you can view your pictures at the site,on your camera without buying some additional equipment or having to wait till you get home to find out what you have.

Most commercial cameras don't have this feature.

This picture may give you an idea of speed.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
This wolf didn't come into the trough but got it's picture taken anyway,about 50-60' out.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Great pics Jim. What board are you running in that camera?

Offline buks2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
TTT
Big bucks look good on the wall, but I still haven't found a way to tenderize those bones!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I've got a couple old Sony Cypershots 2MP that have been upgraded. Can these be used is there a list of cameras that can be used for this applications.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©