3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool socks  (Read 720 times)

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool socks
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Need some advice on some good wool socks. Feet tend to get cold after a few hours sitting in a stand. What do you use?
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool socks
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I have some way old army issue. Jim

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Filson makes a great wool sock....great fit and wear like iron.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Drumstick63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
I recently bought some WoolPower (Ulfrotte) 600 over-the-calf socks and some WoolPower liner socks.  They are the warmest I have ever worn.

Mark

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
Hey Craig,

I have always had a problem keeping my feet warm.  Gotta tell ya, its a combination of having the right sock and boot. And in some really cold temps an overboot.  I currently am really liking  a couple of socks by Bass Pro, one is a wader sock and the other is a hunting sock that is a little shorter.  I have tried to look the socks up on line but cant find them.  I bought them while visiting the store.  The wader sock is an olive color and comes up to my knee (then again I am only 5'8" so its probably a calf sock for most).  The second sock is labeled a Hunting sock by Bass Pro. Its charcoal grey/black with chocolate brown on the heel, toe and on top.  Sorry for the silly descriptions.  Next time I am there I will check the exact name.  They are both high in wool content, like 85%, with some other products thrown in for stretch and warmth.  I have attached a picture of the sock for reference.

Another consideration is your boots.  Depending on your walking/hiking distances, consider buying a good quality pack boot (such as Sorel or Schnees),  and they cant be to tight.  If so, it will inhibit the circulation in your feet.  

Good Luck on your quest.  Its been a 35 year
battle for me.  Jack

TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
Ive heard good things about the bass pro socks above mentioned. I havent had a chance to try them. I have a pair of smartwool socks a pair of those and a lighter military wool sock as a liner and is usually good for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I couldn't believe it myself but I found some of the best wool socks I've ever worn at Wally World.

The older I get, the more I like wool.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Don Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
I like the wool socks that Smart wool makes-I'm wearing some right now!

Don

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
Ingenius, best sock ever made imo wicking built right in no need for a wicking linner under neath.  they last forever had the same pair for five years hardly look woren. Smartwool is good too but done last nearly as long good luck

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
There are a lot of good wool socks on the market.  Look for at least 75% to 80% or higher wool content.  Another option that works well for me is to wear a thin nylon or polypropylene liner sock inside your wool sock.  This will help isolate your feet from sweat.  I have a pair of over the calf liner socks from Under Armour and a pair of over the calf wool socks that are made for cross-country skiing.  These socks in combination are incredibly warm.  

The thicker the wool sock, the more loft and the the greater the insulation from the cold.  However, as was mentioned earlier, make sure your boots don't fit too tightly.  If they do, your feet will get cold from limited circulation.

I second the suggestion that you might also look into a pair of pac boots such as those made by Sorel or LaCrosse. Just make sure that if you buy pac boots, that you remove the felt liners every night and let them dry out.  Makes a huge difference if you wear them the next day.  One place to watch for wool socks is Sierra Trading Post (google search).  They carry a lot of clearance outdoor clothing, including hunting, hiking, ski wear and base layer clothing, often at good sale prices.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
Smart wools are nice. Bridgedales are good too.  My favorites are fox river. I wear wool socks year round.   The fox rivers I wear are a thinner Merino wool so I can wear them in the summer. When it is real cold out I wear two pairs or a liner sock. I have two pairs that I have had for 8 years and just wore some small holes in em. The bridgedales and fox rivers last a lot longer than smartwools. They carry the fox rivers at tractor supply but the ones I buy you have to get online. Ill have to look em up again to tell you the model name. They are made in the USA to boot.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:58:00 AM »
Second the Filson, thick terry loop on the inside and wear like iron.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
Merino wool all the way!  Fox River is a great US company, I had a quality control issue with some socks I bought from them, one e-mail and they took care of the issue.  Check out REI as well, 100% guarantee there as well.  Some like a poly liner underneath, personally, I don't.  Make sure your boots don't constrict your feet, poor circulation is the biggest reason for cold feet.  If your feet are getting cold while on stand, either in a tree or blind, you might also consider bringing a dry pair to change into once there.  Your feet will sweat and get damp on the hike in, once they're damp, you'll never keep them warm if sitting.  Putting on a dry pair will make a world of difference.  One other trick is to spray your feet with unscented anti-perspirant before heading out, it keeps them from sweating as much, therefore your feet don't get cold as fast.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
my wife knits my wool socks.....i'm lucky.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Same here Kkuch, that is my wife not your's lol.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
I think I've tried them all. Woolpower is best IMO. Then again, everything Woolpower is the best. LOL

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Anything with a high content of Merino wool, many great brand to choose from and most are Made in the USA companies which is nice! Merino wool is the ultimate thermo-regulating fabric! Warms in the winter but cools in the summer! Smartwool, Fox River, Minus33, Nester Hosiery (Woolich)all great brands to name a few! They make many differant weights and styles for any season!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Bass pro shops has a wool sock with a lifetime gaurantee. I bought a couple pair with this year and really love them. They seem to have quite a bit of cushion to them also. There only about 10 bucks a pair. I'd also recommend picking up a couple pair of their liner socks also. They run about 5 bucks.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
walmart and meijer carry good wool socks, in season.  read the label, go with a high wool content - I like about 85%

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©