3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool socks  (Read 722 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool socks
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
WIGWAM and Carhardt . Winter construction work constitutes the use of these. I never buy insulated work boots. Wool socks and a pair of uninsulated Red Wings. Sitting in a treee stand this time of year from sunup to sundown, the WIGWAMS under LaCrosse Burlies 1200.Perfect! Both are great WIGWAM has a slight edge.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
LL Bean's Merino ragg wool socks are also good. Got some for Christmas, and have been wearing them every day in the deep freeze we're having. It was 10 degrees in north MS this morning. Three pairs for about $25.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Iwear wool socks all year round. warm in the winter and no sweaty socks in the summer.SMART WOOL IS A GOOD SOCK TO
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I have been very pleased with my walmart merino wool socks this season

Offline VA Robinhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I like the wool hunting sock from Bass Pro also.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I've had good luck with Cabela's Ultimate Heavyweight Wool Socks. Wear them all fall in Lacross insulated boots then in winter with my Lacross pac boots. When's it real cold, I'll wear a lighter pair of wool socks underneath a pair of my older Smartwool socks which are more stretched out. Another thing that I do to keep my feet warm in my treestand that helps me out more than anything is bring a piece of closed cell foam to stand on.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Costco has merino wool socks too.
I wear one pair that is my size, and another oversized pair of regular wool socks on top
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Smart wool works great for me!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
I have been using Under Armor wool socks for the last three years and think they are the tops. When I first started wearing them I was getting ready for an elk hunt and after 4 miles with a pack I was getting hot spots on my feet. I read a thread on Tradgang talking about these socks and tried them. Wala! no more hot spots!Then as the year progrest I got to try them in cold weather and they really helped keeping my feet warm. Never thought I would spend $15 for a pair of socks, but there is no hesitation now.   Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
My Sorels are 30+yrs old and as good as new, cant beat them in cold weather...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Many great wool socks out there...IMHO keeping moister away from your feet after walking to stand and then sitting.  I usually have a nice wool liner in the bottom of my boot, thin sock liner that will wick sweat away from my feet (Under Armor) has the best I've found so far the then nice heavy, tight knit wool sock such as that from Cabela's.  This combo combo usually works quite well for me.
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
When its realy cold a thin wicking liner made of polypropelene or something similar under a pair of wool socks can really help. just don't wear so many layers that your feel are constricted. Good blood flow is critical to keeping your feet warm. If its bitter cold and you are stand hunting, you can't beat a pair of felt lined pack boots.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
the liner and boot is the key.

having an insulated boot that breaths with a sweat wicking liner then a good quality wool sock.

I was hunting in -8 to -25 temps last week and my feet did not get cold. I had the liners with the redhead wool hunter socks and some rocky boots with thinsulate.

no sweat on feet = warm feet
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline shoes

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Cabelas deluxe cold weather socks with their 16 inch height are excellent. Nice in tall rubber boots, dont fall down and wear like iron. Have had four pair going on ten years now and are like new.
Dreams are made taller than we are.  Never stop reaching!
WTA member

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Unless you have a good liner, you might as well put a Maytag freezer on your feet as rubber boots.  I have some good Sorels that are a size bigger than my foot....thick felt liners, and two pairs of wool socks with plenty of room to wiggle toes.  No room in the boot will cause feet to get cold as well....no different than layering the body.  

For still-hunting, a pair of high top, waterproof hiking shoes will keep feet as warm as anything; again one-half to one size large and layering of socks.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
This works well for me. A thin pair of socks, like dress socks goes on first. Light weight pair of wool socks that come up high on the calf, next a heavy pair of wool socks, again high on the calf. Next, a pair of sneakers like nike or new balance, they're pretty thick. Lastly a good old pair of barn knee high muck boots. Came across this combination about 15 years ago. Keeps my feet warmer than the heavy insulated boots I was wearing at the time. Works for me.

Offline Westy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Smartwool socks all the way. I've used them in the past for hiking, camping and such and this year I bought a few more pairs for hunting. I comparied them to some wally world wools socks and to some I bought from Bass Pro and none of them kept me as warm or as dry as the Smartwools. Plus the Smartwools socks stay in place.

I wear them in a pair of Asolo hiking boots (uninsulated) and were able to hunt down in temperatures hovering around 0 without any issues.

They aren't cheap but well worth the price. Plus their customer service is #1.
It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
smartwool with the extra heavy footbed...meaning more cushion and more wool. foot powder if they sweat a lot, toe warmers!!!! are a must when sitting, and a liner from Two Tracks Bow and Wool company, the thick ones. Honestly, I will use my early season boots vs packs if I can get away with it using these things, and the toe warmers are key. inexpensive for the amount of comfort.

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Call Three- Rivers and order WoolPower (Ulfrotte) 600 over-the-calf socks and  WoolPower liner socks. If it's really cold (single digits or lower)when I get to my stand I also throw into the toe section of my Mickey Mouse boots a hand warmer. I've sat all day on stand and never had cold feet.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to decide which ones are right for me.
Thanks
Craig
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©