3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool socks  (Read 721 times)

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool socks
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
i just got home from walmart and got two pair of wicking liner socks, a medium pair and a heavy pair of merino wool socks , one was 75 percent wool the other 85 percent wool,  got all four for 21 dollars
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Don't know what kind of "Stand" you are refering to, if you are using a tree stand or a ladder satnd with open mesh floor, try putting a carpet sample down, if will keep your feet warmer than on the exposed metal.
I hunt from a ground blind, and I use a piece of carpet to put my feet on.
They stay warm longer, and warmer all together.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline wojo124

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I wear a thin pair of socks out to stand,then when I get there I change into a dry thin pair and put heavy wool socks on over. keeps me warm for hours and hours.
Hollenbeck 64" longbow 50#@28"
Northern Mist 66"longbow 53#@27"
Early 80's 64"Custom Bighorn 66#@29"
pick your spot and burn a hole.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Smart wool socks with a sock liner. Put the adhesive feet warmers on the liner and then slip your smart wool socks on over that.

Been doing it for years and my feet never get cold and i hunted in 12 degree weather this past weekend.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline cbelcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Thorlo

Offline Wilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
www.point6.com
These are the best socks I have ever worn. Merino wool!

Offline HAWGDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Agree on the Smart wool, w/ a liner.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
High content wool is the way to go, smartwool, filson, fox river, some others out there too High wool content is the way to go!!

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Gander Mountain usually has a variety of WigWam wool socks. I have found the plain non hi tec and regular wool to keep my feet dryer and warmer that the merino and blend versions. But get the merino if wool makes you itch.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Clearly the concensus is to wear good wool socks, and I agree.  One trick that really helps me is to use a good antiperspirant on the soles and toes of my feet.  If your feet sweat and your socks and boot liners get damp, your feet will be cold.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Darn Tough "full-cushion" merino wool boot socks. They also make them in "cushion" which is just the bottom of the sock. Full cushion is bottom and top.

I like Smartwool but the Darn Tough really fit well  if you wear Muck-type boots. I do use a liner when it's cold

Darn Tough are made in Vermont.

Offline buxntoms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
I second the Darn Tough merino wool socks!  I suffer from cold feet or poor circulation when sitting on stand for long periods of time even when relatively mild conditions.  I use the full cushion Darn Tough socks and sometimes use a ultra light sock liner to keep the moisture off the feet and they stay warm!  Best socks for the money.  A pair of Darn Tough will run around $15 if you search on the internet.  My local dealer sells them for $22 a pair (ouch), so check the internet!
"Know Your Land....Know Your Prey!"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
for heavy pack boots and all day sitting i like the cabelas wool boot sox, they are merino wool and very thick. and i found them to be very durable as well.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Michael R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I wear wool socks everyday. whether work or play. I love    RedHead Lifetime hunting socks . Only 9.99 at my local BPS and wear it out and get a new pair.

They don't wear out easy as I have been wearing the same pair (washed nightly) all year almost everyday and they have not even started to thin like less expensive socks. The best part is that they are 88% merino lamb's wool. Not too hot in the summer, even when wearing my black steal toe work boots and not too cold (if I make sure not to let my feet sweat).

mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©