3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bean boots  (Read 497 times)

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
Bean boots
« on: January 10, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Looking for a good pair of stalking boots. I was looking at getting a pair of the LL Bean boots. But there is no Bean store locally. My feet are odd sized so I have to try on every pair of boots I buy. The question is- Are Bass Pro's version of these boots close to the Beans? The sole looks similar and is pretty flexible. And they are only about $50. Anyone tried them? Thanks once again.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bean boots
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
I have been using the Bean boots for more than 30 years elk hunting in the Rockies.  They are pretty tough and waterproof.  Several years ago I tried the Cabela's version, cheaper, but they leaked like a sieve.  I have no experience with Bass Pro's version, but I would be skeptical and certainly would test them for water proofness as soon as they come out of the box.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Try the Bean Boots. I have been wearing a pair for years and love them. Bean are also great about returns and exchanges. Call them and talk to someone about your foot size and I bet they can help you out.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I was a long time advocate of Bean boots, until I got the Schnees' version....no comparison. More expensive, but worth it.

To be fair, it took me 12 years of hard use (in the woods, not on rocks/mountains) to wear out my favorite Beans.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
I bought a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunters on-line this past fall.  They were a little too small, but I had no problem at all returning them and getting the next larger size.  I, too, was skeptical about buying a pair of boots without trying them on.  But their customer service was fantastic and I got my new pair within a couple days.  BTW, I had a catalog with a free shipping offer, and they applied this to my order for the correct size boot.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
You can't beat Bean. Their customer service is the best.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
There is no comparison in the quality between the two. Plus the bean boots are made in the USA. I have the Maine hunting boots and love them. Save yourself some money in the long run and buy the bean boots.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I have a friend here who deals with LLBean all the time because they pay for return shipping, and that is from Alaska. Check on it.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I have had great luck with the Bean Maine hunting boots. Made in the USA and a great company to deal with.

DD

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
LL Bean don't sell no junk.......

Great top of the line stuff, even the wool products are really nice.

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Bean Boots are fantastic!!! I have had one pair since 1979--the rubber bottom needs replacing, but they do that too--and another pair since 1987. One is 16" tops and the other is 12".

At one time you could trace your foot send it in and tell them what kind of socks you plan to wear--heavy or light--and they would fix you up.

All the threads above are true. LL Bean is a great company. "You get what you pay for".
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
My  Bean pacs are just now cracking and need to be replaced.  They are about 20 years old (or maybe older).  If they still make them as well, then they are worth the extra money.  Once upon a time, they would put your old leather uppers onto new rubber bottoms like a shoe maker could, and charge  you a smaller amount.  I no longer see that offer available.  Was kinda nice, but I certainly have gotten my money out of them.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
The rubber Bean boots equal sweaty feet. Get the Danner jackals.
The Bean boots non-breathability compared to the Danners equals cotton vs wool.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Are the jackals waterproof or water resistant? This is another must. I have looked at the jackals.
Caleb Chambers

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
I like my Bean Maine Hunters, but they make my sock pull down into the boot. May be the geometry of my big feet!
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Take a look...

http://www.danner.com/product/jackal+gtx+uninsulated+hunting+boots.do?search=basic&keyword=jackal&sortby=price&asc=false&page=1

Silent but deadly, the Jackal™ GTX® boot is built on the Phantom™ outsole, perfect for stalking in all terrains. The thick, cushioned EVA insert and flexible platform allows for quiet tread and great ground feel. A GORE-TEX® liner provides breathable, waterproof protection and the full-grain pigskin leather offers rugged abrasion resistance.

BOOT FEATURES
100% waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX® lining for the ultimate in comfortable, breathable waterproof protection.
Mossy Oak® Obsession™ camo pattern keeps you concealed in the field.
The Danner Phantom outsole is the ultimate outsole for stalking. A thin rubber shell cups the foot and lets you feel the ground. It’s very quiet and cushioned due to the thick EVA insert. This is a perfect solution for hunters trying to maintain their cover.
Soft yet rugged pigskin leather offers abrasion-resistance in heavy brush areas.
8" of support.
Extremely lightweight at 42 oz.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Ok thanks mojo. I'll look into them as well.
Caleb Chambers

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
I'd listen to mojo....the dannars are great
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Double Tee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
I have a pair I have worn for maybe 20yrs.and they need to be sent in for a new bottom but I just keep patching the bottom for now with some "SHOE GOO" till I can get them in. Got a pair of the same type from Cabelas and there is no comparison!Like Roger said ya might try the Schnee's,I haven't tryed them but they are supposed to be the best,don't know how they could beat a bean boot though?
John

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 05:15:00 AM »
The nice thing about both LL Bean and say Cabela's for the Danners is, order a pair of both and send back the ones you decide not to keep.

If you don't have sweaty feet, I'm sure the Bean's would be great boots. But if you have sweat issue's, not matter the sock, you'll want to get those Bean's off after an hour or three.

The Danners feel like you're walking in a very light tennis shoe. Maybe the most comfortable things I've ever worn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©