3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Winter Fiddling...  (Read 285 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Winter Fiddling...
« on: January 11, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Went to Avatar on Sat.  Wow, talk about Dances With Wolves meets Star Wars, and BTW Cameron, Costner called and wants his script back!

But anyway, the bows & arrows the blue no-nosed cat people were shooting kind of piqued my curiousity (so did the back hand two finger draw, but not enough to try it). BTW, how about them arrows!  Talk about the Ashby Theory in action, wonder what the FOC/KE of those babies were?!!

But I digress...  Winter is the time for fiddling and one of my current experiments is to see how many various sized alums I have on hand I can build to match spine and with any kind of luck, POI at 20 yards.  Right now I'm messing with some 2314 shafts. I found that using Stu's Calculator (what a great tool), they spine out extremely close with 145 grain point and 2" longer BOP than my 28.5" draw.  Prior to this, the longest arrow I've shot is 1.5" more than my draw, with most being 1".

Which brings me to the question (yeah, I took the long way around the barn, so sue me...).  Anyone shooting arrows considerably longer than their draw, say 2" or more BOP) and has anyone fiddled with unconventional fletching like the 2 feathers at 180 degrees used in the movie?...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter Fiddling...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Very cool movie! I was wondering when someone would mention it. My daughter saw it before me and said "Mom your going to love it, it has a bunch of archery stuff in it!".

I shoot arrows considerably longer sometimes, to get a heavier arrow to spine right for my 45# bow.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Jon, many years ago a Guy shooting the winter indoor league did what your talking about. He was trying to get his point of impact dead on at 20 yds.

Don't hold Me to the exacts but I think it was a 2317 with 5" heavy helical 4 fletch and some home-made heavy points out of a 38# target recurve.

He fought it for a couple of weeks and gave up. He couldn't get used to setting his bow down before the arrow got to the target.

Good luck and let us know how it works for You.

bretto

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I draw 29", most shafts come 32"+ or -. I'm lucky because most time point wieght gets me the right spine if I start close. The arrow comes out about 2" longer that it needs to be. Seems to be OK for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by bretto:
Jon, many years ago a Guy shooting the winter indoor league did what your talking about. He was trying to get his point of impact dead on at 20 yds.

Don't hold Me to the exacts but I think it was a 2317 with 5" heavy helical 4 fletch and some home-made heavy points out of a 38# target recurve.

He fought it for a couple of weeks and gave up. He couldn't get used to setting his bow down before the arrow got to the target.

Good luck and let us know how it works for You.

bretto
Wow!...

I still have some 2413's and 2315's (don't ask me why I have them or even why I picked them up) to mess with.

the 2314 came out to around 540 grains, very close the the 30" 2117s that shoot well.  Gonna be fun to test them outside if it gets a bit nicer this week...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Hypothetically,  if you can make your arrows long enough, you can have a ten yard arrow, and a twenty and a thirty etc.   Course,  string walking did all of that, as did face walking.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.
ChuckC

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I shoot 30"arrows and draw 28".29 comes to the back of the riser,and one inch longer gives me perfect clearance.That's on wide riser recurves.On something like a Hill LB I can use a 29" arrow and have good clearance.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
I shoot arrows that are roughly 2" longer than my draw....I use carbon and like the added weight. Never tried real small feathers though...usually use 5.5" high back. I did use 4" shield once but that's when I was trying out 4 feathers instead of 3.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©