3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Disgusted with AZ archery elk draw  (Read 193 times)

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
Disgusted with AZ archery elk draw
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
I just gotta vent. If I remember right, 2 years ago there were 7-8000 archery elk tags for Az, with <10000 rifle tags. Last year and again this year the number of archery tags has been reduced, while the number of rifle tags has skyrocketed. There are approx 6000 archery tags this year and approx 17000 rifle tags!!! Some rifle hunts have 900 tags in one unit.

So my hunting buddies and I are trying to figure out whether to put in for archery and possibly not get draw again, or put in for rifle hunts and use our bows. I really, really do not want a rifle hunt. For anyone who has experienced an Az elk rifle hunt, you learn to hit the dirt when you hear a shot, Az may have the most irresponsible rifle hunters on earth.

Any other AZ hunters as irritated as I am about this?
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Disgusted with AZ archery elk draw
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I just moved back to Wisconsin from AZ last year...I agree...what is going on? I just found out that I need to buy a $150.00 license (that I won't even use), so that I can buy a $7.95 Bonus Point...Remember when you could hunt without consulting a loan officer????????!!!!?
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I will hunt there this weekend for the first time, but no one I know is diggin on Az as they were five years ago.  It is a cash cow and they are milkin it dry.

Buddy had best pronghorn tag in state and the largest landowner shut down access to majority of unit shortly before hunt.

Same guy hunted a unit for bow a few years after assisting a huge outfitter in same unit and saw more hunters and less elk than before.

Time to go elsewhere, I am glad I don't have points there, they aren't cheap and look to be worth less than paid for.

Good luck
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Jethro, it's rife shoot, not hunt.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Have you asked them? I wonder if it has something to do with success rates vs tags drawn vs season.

Sounds  like a drag regardless.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
11 years and still trying. I can't quit now but I am very frustrated with the procedures. Good luck to all. RC
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I seems to be the growing trend "money" runs the draws in almost every western state. The year I was going to start putting in for AZ non-res went to $700 to rich for me.

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
My thought is that maybe it is because more people put in for rifle. Most people will buy a license (although some opt for buying the license with the tag), so that bumps up the revenue. I suspect more out of state hunters apply for a rifle hunt as well and non-resident fees are pretty high.

Whatever the reason they are doing it, it is really disappointing.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©