3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is hunting in Iowa next year?  (Read 689 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is hunting in Iowa next year?
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
With our Illinois bow season winding to a close, I am already beginning to think about next year. I have two preference points for Iowa, and hope to draw a tag for next season. While we have some pretty good hunting in parts of Illinois, things have changed in the last 10 years, and the quality has gone down. My trail cameras have confirmed this.  Hopefully things will bounce back with the possibility of future legislation promoting age structure. Anyway, I simply cannot wait to see what Iowa offers.  Any other non-residents hoping to hunt Iowa next season?  If any of us are close to each other, it would be great to get together to swap hunting stories!

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is hunting in Iowa next year?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Have a pocket full of preference points.....just biding my time......probably won't make it out there this year.....pretty focused on 2011 if all goes well.

Good luck to you guys that head there this year.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
What are you a smart adz? Don't get me all worked up about the Iowa draw already!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Biggie, if you are going to draw and are hunting anywhere near me...I'd love to meet you.  I'll even buy dinner!

Offline Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
I did not draw in 2009 with 2pts; so I will have 3pts for 2010. Haven't decided, if I will try or not.

If I understood the NR licenses for 2010, the cost will be around $850.00. Anyone have any information?

Dennis

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I hopefully will get drawn too,haven't been back
since 2007.Can't wait.Going to Iowa from Pa. is like hunting in another world.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the price of NR tags went up sharply here in Iowa.  Our resident licenses have been on a steady rise for many years!!
>>>--------->

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Jon, If you buy Biggie supper, you won't have enough money to get home.

I've got 3pts. I'll have to see about a place to hunt before it's time to apply.
Keith Karr

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Jon, P.M.sent.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
2 points and hoping to draw again.

Joe

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I have 2 points and plan on hunting in Union County next year. An old friend from high school moved out there to farm and has been buying land over the years. It won't cost much of anything for me to hunt the land but man that archery tag sure will.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
I'll be there.  The tough part is deciding where to hunt, so many good options.  I guess thats a good thing though.  Good luck to all those that go.  Sam

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »
Jon, you're on!
If I don't draw, it won't be because I don't want to come up.
We're losing our number one ranch but still have some good options.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
$850.00 for a license to hunt deer? I had no idea it was that expensive.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I bought a house this morning. I'll fix it up and sell it in June. That will be my hunting $$$ for this year.

It's all it what you percieve to be a priority in your life. If it goes to $2,000 for a tag I'll buy TWO houses next year.......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline bdawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
i live in iowa and dont know how the point system works.seems like every hunting show i watch has iowa deer hunting on it.how do they get their tags?are they hunting private ranches all the time.hope you guys get your tags,if anyone hunts in north central iowa shoot me a message.more than likely if your hunting you will be in the south where the big ones are more plentiful.good luck.greg

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
I live in Southeast Iowa and I have a small guide service. I had four hunters last year and they only paid $525 for a Buck and a doe tag with a small game hunting license which is required.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I've got a good 3 or 4 points, just have to make the time to go.  Plus I'll have college bills this fall   :help:   That'll be a new experience!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Ok Biggie.  I'll hold you to that! I've got two points and am hoping to draw this may.

Offline Gene Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I'll take a contrarian view to Altiman94 on the price of Iowa resident tags.   $27 each for the first two tags and  $12 per tag for as many doe tags as you can possibly want seems incredibly cheap to me.  Especially since a resident can take two archery bucks ( one early and one late).  If you are a landowner you can take another buck and two does for the princely sum of $2 apiece.  It appears that Iowa DNR budget constraints will result in as many as 20% of the conservation positions being vacant in 2010.  That's bad news for all ethical sportsmen.  A resident can bowhunt for deer during an 83 day season for as little as 67 cents per day.  In my mind, that's mighty cheap at twice the price.  Hope I haven't started something.
  Gene Hall

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©