3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FOC, Arrow grain weight  (Read 227 times)

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
FOC, Arrow grain weight
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I understand arrow parodox and FOC. I have shot traditional equipment for 18 years and the heaviest BH I have shot has been a 145 grain Snuffer. Of all the deer I have shot I have only had one complete pass through, ( shot through the deer and stuck in the ground).  I shoot cedar arrows with feathers.  My bows pull between 50-60 lbs.  I have never checked the grains of weight of my arrows.  Most of the deer I have shot, the arrow stops at the fletching in the side of the deer.  I have an entrance hole and an exit hole.  I understand bone hits play into this.  I have been pretty fortunate in recovery of most of the animals I have shot.  I guess my questions is do you guys have complete pass throughs?  I can't understand shooting broadheads that weigh in excess of 200 grains.  Have I just been lucky with good arrow flight and penetration or can I expect more?
Al

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FOC, Arrow grain weight
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
You can definitely expect more.  But wooden arrows are not my cup of tea to advise.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
A wood arrow with a 145 grain head will weigh 550 grains, if not more. So that's plenty. More penetration could be the result of fewer blades, skinnier shaft, better flight and shot placement. All or some of those factors.
You have lots of bow weight and arrow weight. Check those other factors. Pass throughs are nice to get, though not critical to quick kills-penetrating both lungs is what you want.

Offline Hedge Apple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, mostly pass throughs. The difference would be a two blade. That Snuffer shouldn't have any problems blowing thru both sides of a whitetail. I would strive for complete pass throughs, even though you have two holes, they have a plug. I would find out exactly what weight you are drawing and build from there. Quite a bit difference between 50 and 60 lbs.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
My goal is two holes that makes two holes to bleed from and better blood trails and it means I did the most tissue damage. It dose not matter to me if the arrow is on the ground or not other than the deer has lee of a chance to break my arrow. A deer is worth the price of a arrow to me. I make shure my bow is tuned and let the deer fall were they may. Widow

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
One advantage of not having the arrow in the critter is that they don't seem to run as hard.  That arrow in their body seems to have a pretty motivating effect.  I've had animals go hard till the arrow fell to the ground, then slow down and stop.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
I shoot zwickey eskimos 125 grains, with a 55-60 spined poc shaft, most of the time 5 1/2 shield cut feathers. Pretty standard for a wood arrow. They weight 515-525 grains, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. From my 55# recurve or my 53# longbow they tend to be around 10grains per pound. The advantage to knowing the weight is consistant flight, of course with practice and good form. An efficient bow and a good matched set of arrows. Like widow sax said above the deer is worth the arrow, my arrows dont always get all the way thru but then they are still working as the animal is running. MM
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©