3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Roger Rothhaar - A Gem  (Read 918 times)

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Roger Rothhaar - A Gem
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Just got done watching Masters of the Barebow Vol. 1 with my archery class.  Liked it as much this time as the previous dozen, but have to say that Roger's advice to hunters at the end of his segment is absolutely my favorite.  If you haven't had the chance to watch the DVD I highly recommend it.  Thanks, Roger!

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roger Rothhaar - A Gem
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Roger has been killin' BIG whitetails for a long time. I think he knows how to talk to them........  :thumbsup:

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I would actually walk across the street and pay to hear his stories of bowhunting and thoughts on it. Not very many in the world of Bowhunting i would do that for. Too many others now days follow greed and fame. (My opinion)        Vic
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Reading one of his books now and KNOW that he was WAY ahead in his thinking and hunting.

Would love to spend a couple days following him in the woods and learning.

Ryan seems to take right after dad. Shooting big deer himself and has a tracking dog for the hard job of blood tracking. He will be spending time on others tracks because the big SNUFFERS leave blood the blind can follow.

Tim

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Been a "big fan" for a long time    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I get to her him speak in a few weeks at the UBM.  It should be great.

Offline WIND WALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ROGER FOR THE TWO BOOKS THAT I GOT FOR MY FATHER FOR CHRISTMAS! I READ THEM BOTH BEFORE I WRAPPED THEM........AWSOME! AND I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO THANK HIS SON RYAN FOR THE CONTACT INFO. YOU BOTH ARE A REAL CLASS ACT! THANKS AGAIN BROCK.
I DO NOT HUNT TO KILL, I KILL BECAUSE I HUNT.   ROGER ROTHHAAR.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Yep he is a good one for sure.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
I've spent an "hour or two" chatting with Roger on the phone. Several years ago, I ordered the two books directly from him. He signed the books for me and also included a couple pictures of the deer that he had taken, with a brief history of the hunt written on the back.

Roger, is one in a million and if I ever had the opportunity.......I could spend hours just talking with him. He is a wealth of knowledge, and as down to earth person as you will ever talk to. I haven't had the opportunity to chat with Ryan.....but I would have to agree that the "apple didn't fall far from the tree".

Hopefully someday, I will have the opportunity to meet and shake the hands of both of them. They are my kind of people.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I would love to have the opportunity to meet him someday.  He has a quote at the end of the segment in MOB that went something like "I don't hunt animals to kill them, I kill them because I hunt them." I paused the video at this point to let it sink in for my students.  That sums up bowhunting for me.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
He also had a great quote years ago in an issue of Bowhunter Magazine. He was asked about his use of a recurve instead of a compound. His response was... " A recurve never prevented a kill, and a compound never guaranteed one ".

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
As for me ...I'd wish he would leave Ohio....He's getting my big deer ...lol! Just kidding...Hes a wonderful Guy !!!!! Met him many moons ago. I thing back before "electric" !!!!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
I am looking forward to hearing him at the ubm festival in mo in feb.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
If you watch the end credits, in the above mentioned masters of the barebow, there is a clip of Roger throwing a little fit after he he puts a big miss on the target, it is really funny. There is one of Ken Beck holding up a picture of Charley Brown in front of his face, I thought I was going to chock laughing. Great Guys.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words for Dad, I'll print this off and show it to him.  He'll be turning 72 in February, and really gets after them, just spends more time on the ground than in trees anymore.  He had rotator cuff surgery on his left shoulder last summer (Old Bowhunter disease) and worked back to hunting wt by this October.  He shot the buck below (181 non typical) and several does with big Snuffers and a 42lb Black Widow this fall.

Just don't make the mistake and lump me into the Old Man's category....I'm just a regular kid that likes to bowhunt!

Ryan

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Congrats to this bowhunting Icon.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
That is impressive.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Yeah a regular kid that likes to bowhunt and has a dad who has forgot more about finding and killing big whitetails than most of us will ever know. Judging by the pics of the deer you have posted here Ryan I would say a little of that skill has rubbed off on you too.  :)  At least you got the old mans good tastes for shooting Black Widows. I too am hoping to get up to the UBM festival and meet your dad.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I first met Roger in 1976 . I'm very proud to call him my friend.

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
roger is the real thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©