3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever been to fat to Hunt?  (Read 8704 times)

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever been to fat to Hunt?
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
well ive been "full figure" for years and always thought i needed to loose weight but never tried until 2008 when i lost 30 lbs. problem was goodyear shut the plant down and being on the couch for 8 months with the trusty basset hound...i found all 30 lbs!
 im 6'1" and right at 300 lbs. i re-started my portion control a week ago and have lost 6lbs. on the first day of riffle season this past year my wife took a nice 8 pointer and my hunting buddy and i had a rough drag straight up for 275 yds. on a gas line in national forest,at one point i collapsed and felt very,very weak...i honestly think it almost killed me!  :pray:
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
You guys are too funny! Makes a man think though. Time to get busy.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
You're right Jeff! I'm the perfect weight if I were 6'7".

I always hear of all these fitness gurus who spend their whole life eating Super Model dinner portions and running and exercising in all their spare time and they are keeling over at a young age. My philosophy is that your heart only has so many beats in it and why waste them on exercise? That just shortens the time to use up the beats! : ) Sounds logical right?  Anyway, I hate running. I'd rather have someone poke needles in my eyes than go running. I try to only run if something is chasing me! Then only if their isn't something to climb.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
You mean I can have someone just poke a few needles in my eyes instead of trying to run?????
Sounds good to me.....
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
I wasn't hunting at the time, and I'm no lightweight now, but a number of years back I got the shock necessary to make me lose weight.  I was at almost 260 at 5 foot 7.   At my annual physical, my doctor informed me that I had become diabetic, solely due to my eating habits, sedentary work/life and excess weight.   He said he wanted to put me on insulin shots immediately, but could wait and try just a regimen of pills and see how things went if I was willing to get really serious about exercise and and diet and lose at least 70 pounds.   I was really, really scared, as I had lost two family members to diabetes, one having lost a leg before she died.  I replied that no one had ever explained it to me quite that way.

I joined the Volksmarch program, walking daily and doing at least one six mile walk every weekend, as well as attacking the diet.  Over the next two years, I got down to 185.  This was almost 20 years ago.  I don't walk as much any more (can't), but I still exercise and control my sugar and fat intake.  I got back up to 205 last year, just from getting diet careless and not walking as much, but now I'm on track again, taking it down... at 190 right now and aiming for 180.  It gets a lot harder after age 65 and harder yet after 70.

Believe me, I miss the goodies I used to eat all the time and now have to ration to occasional treats, and I barely remember what beef is. Bacon and fried foods are just an historical myth in our house.   I'm still on the pill regimen, but I know damn well I wouldn't be here right now if I hadn't taken action.   And to get back to the original question, I went on a hunt last year, my first, and I'm proud to say I was able to handle it, even did one long walk to work off the adrenalin after I shot my first javie.

So...  THINK!  You like living, you love hunting, you're seriously overweight?   Do something about it now.  If you have the will power and concentration to learn to shoot a bow well, you should be able to apply those traits to getting yourself healthy.  

Sorry to get so darn serious, but guys, obesity is a cause of many health problems, some life threatening.  It's no laughing matter.   My doctor once told me, "Dick, the spine is a column, not a cantilever!"    Spend at least as much attention matching your spine to your body weight as you spend matching your arrow's spine to your bow...
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Dick in Seattle....the truth is the truth and nobody like to hear it most of the time......Just diagnosed with diabetes, 57 yrs-5'10", 185#. Go to the gym daily, got a food regement that would make a super model lose wieght. But you gotta do what you gotta do if you enjoy the things I do, hunting, fishing, riding motorcycles and just enjoy'n life. I got lucky to retire at age 55, I didn't do that to end up poop'n the bed and chew'n on the sheets.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
I have never been to fat to hunt but have been out of shape and couldn't hunt the way I wanted to.

After 3 years of a bad back, I finally had surgery and started getting better, but the weight I had gained was still there.

After losing my dad and realizing he died from a heart attack due to being over weight, I started taking control of my eating habits and have dropped 25 lbs and kept it off.

The weight watchers program is a no brainer. You get x amount of points based on your height and weight.

You need to excercise as well.

It is pretty simple. If you want to hunt, show some self control and don't eat as much, lose weight, feel great, and hunt hard.

If you want to eat, then quit hunting.

Good luck on which ever endeavor you decide.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Paul, I'm doing both.....eating and hunting.
Both are passions to me, I could fall out of a tree this weekend and die too.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
 I could fall out of a tree this weekend and die too.  
If your Big enough, you wont fall far   :biglaugh:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
i'm down 35 pounds just goin to the ymca and torturing myself on the treadmill which i have fondly renamed the tradmill.i used to run the mile in high school in five minutes now i'd fall over dead if i ran a mile.this needs to stop and i am doing something about it.my life depends on it.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I haven't had the weight problem - but heart problems run in our family - high blood pressure - cholesterol. I have some heavy weight sisters and they have always had trouble - not enough exercise and eating problems.

What to do differently hmmm- well you are what you absorb so:

Since I have been drinking Active and Pulse ( the juice I had for a draw this xmas)the cholesterol has dropped dramatically plus I get the goodness of 13 servings of fruits and veggies every day with only 4 ounces...PLUS it has curbed my sweet tooth. I get the glucosemine too for my joints. All in all it's helped my hunting an my health.

Jer Bear

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I've lost 127 pounds in the last year and a half, and it made a huge difference in what I was able to do.  I can practically run up and down the hills.  Doc took me off of 7 prescription drugs.  That's money I can use to go huntin'.

D.A.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Now there's some incentive!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
lost 127 pounds that would be MY WIFE. then I could ANYTHING I wanted  :biglaugh:  

jer Bear

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
edited.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
had high cholesterol,high blood pressure.doc said to loose some weight.started eating a bowl of instant oatmeal inthe morning,cut down on burgers and fries[fatty fried foods].lost 30 pounds,cholesterol and blood pressure lowered.watch my ice cream intake.[real weakness]feel lots better.amazing what little things can help.maybe ill live as long as my granny[95 years old]she is still sharp and is fun to talk to.good luck to all and good health...chris

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by D.A. Davis:
I've lost 127 pounds in the last year and a half, and it made a huge difference in what I was able to do.  I can practically run up and down the hills.  Doc took me off of 7 prescription drugs.  That's money I can use to go huntin'.

D.A.
:clapper:    :clapper:
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline cbushee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
When I was younger (14 now) I was overweight. It was unpleasant and I weighed at most 200lbs and I was 5'8". I'm 6'1" now and weigh 160. It's definitely worth it. I feel great and look like a muscular teenager   :D   . It's worth the diet and exercise.
Mad Dog Prowler ll 40#@30"

"Don't take your personal experience as universal truth."
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."-Ghandi

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Quote: [rraming.... "Just try!"]

I read somewhere and I think it was attributed to Yodi "There is no try! there is only do or don't do!"

I can't afford to try at my age and with my already exisisting physical limitations, I have to do.

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Biggie,  You showed me a picture of all the  incentive you'll ever need buddy...precious!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©