3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever been to fat to Hunt?  (Read 8702 times)

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever been to fat to Hunt?
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by fatman:
Hunting clothes by Omar the Tentmaker   :thumbsup:  
My God that is who I get my clothes from.   :biglaugh:

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
I am with you. I let my weight get out of control. It is easy to blame it on a desk job and several injuries, but the truth is I ate too much. Since the beginning of April I have lost 45 pounds and am comitted to keep going. I use an 1800 calorie exchange diet. In addition I try to eat whole grain carbs instead of white bread and biscuts. I eat more vegatables than I ever have in my life and I only drink decaf coffee. The coffee was a biggie for me. I used to drink 8-12 cuos a day and I cant tell you How much better I feel without it. I cannot comfortably jog yet but I try to walk 1-2 miles at least 3 days a week. I was going to join a gym but then I realized that when you way over 300 pounds you carrie your weight set on you, so I started doing push ups and other exersizes to build more muscle. Last but certainly not the least, I pray daily for Gods holy spirit to guide me and give me strenght. I can do all things though Christ, who strengthens me. If you want to know more or just need some encouragement that you can do it Send me a PM and I will be happy to respond. one of my goals is to be able to fully hunt the Cohutta wilderness here in north Georgia instead of just the flat parts.

God Bless
Uncle Buck

Offline The Black Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Not sure it was mentioned yet but another thing to cut out is using a 4 wheeler. Walk instead.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Well guys, I'm another one in the same boat.  Around the first of the year I got serious and have lost 26 lbs so far.  I did attend an 8 week class at the VA called MOVE and learned a bunch about nutrition and losing weight.  Some keys:  A pound= 3500 calories.  If you want to lose a pound a week, cut back 500 calories a day - 2 pounds a week, 1000 calories a day.  How do you know?  A web site called  www.fitday.com  - it's free, just register.  Plug in what you eat and see what your calorie loading is.  The other things:  25% of your plate is protein, 25% starch (bread, pasta, potatos, peas, beans or corn) and 50% veggies.  Your protein should be approximately 4 oz.  I know, I know, it doesn't seem like enough to eat but after a week or so your body will get used to it.  Like others have said, eat tons of veggies, keep starchs to a minimum and fruit for desert.  Keep your calories in the 1400 range.  Personally, my average daily intake of calories over the past 2 months is 1279 and I'm dropping an average of 2#'s a week.  I'm in my 4th NEW HOLE in my belt and have dropped 4 inches in my pants size so far.  I am half way to my goal.  You CAN DO IT!!
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I just had to wade in here on this one, owing to the fact that weight has been near and dear to me for most of my aging years. After multi attempts at losing and  trying to keep it off, I have come up with two perfect diets.
1. If you like it, don't eat it!
2. Eat half a meal on half a plate.
Now I won't say this will work for everyone, however, I am now down 105 pounds over the past year and a half, and what used to be a calm demeanour has turned into a growling,snapping vicious wolf-like attitude especially when there is food around. However, stair climbing, walking and everyday chores are no longer a challenge and shooting the bow has become more pleasant somehow. Whether it stays off or not, well .... one day at a time.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
My wife just got diagnosed with Diverticulosis and has to make some diet changes. More whole grains, fiber, less fat etc.. Basically a healthier diet. I'm the cook in the family so we are all going to eat this and we are starting to loose weight already. Next step is cutting out the chips, soda and regular beer. Have to start drinking lite  :(  Some more exercise will be good for us as well.

Good luck everyone and lets get some updates from the early posters.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
hunting clothes are too expensive to just replace b/c I got lazy and gained weight. None of mine fit and if I can get them on, they are tight and uncomfortable.  I've been working on losing weight (30#) for about a month now. slow process but I'm getting there. Good Luck everyone!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Apparently, I am subiminally working on it.

Must be instinctive however the gap is tightening.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
I don't know that I even want to talk about it...lol

I have other stuff right now that has my focus but maybe I should change that and become a little more "self" centered.

I know the other things are stressful, add into that my weight overage, it could spell...well not so good for me.

I try daily just to turn it over to "Him" who has some control versus me who apparently has little...lol

One of the gifts of His spirit is "self control" and it's about high time that I at least unwrapped it...lol  

I wonder if it would help to ask someone to help hold me feet to the fire...lol J/K  

Please don't.. it'll just make things worse since I rebel so very easily...lol

I am stubborn to the point of being mulish.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
I try to make it a rule to not give diet or fitness advice to people anymore, due to people wanting to you to really just tell them what they are doing is "right", even though it is not.

So, I'll just say what works for me. Its simple and easy, but it takes a little determination, just a little...

I can't follow strict "don't eat this, eat that, don't eat carbs, don't eat fat, only eat protein" type diets. They all fail. I've tried them all time and again and its simply madness. Noone is going to go through the rest of their lives and not eat breads, or any of the "don't eat" foods. We're only here once, and food is a pleasure and we should eat the things we enjoy, and eat them in the company of people we enjoy.

I started back in January following a simple diet adjustment. I simply do two 24 hour Fasts per week. Usually they are on Wednesday and Saturday. I keep a pretty low calorie level on the other 5 days, although I do eat the foods that I want. Like tonight after I lift weights for about an hour, I'm eating spaghetti. These two fasts create a great caloric deficit for me without having to do any cardio exercise whatsoever. I'm about to break into the 170s for the first time in around 8 years, and I have did it this time without running a single step. Sure, I'll eventually have to add in a little cardio but it won't be much to keep my fat loss going.

This method makes weight/fat loss effortless for me. No more stressing over what I can or can't eat, no more of the 6 meals per day nonsense. I'd suggest you folks look into Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat book.

www.bradpilon.com

for a little more advanced version, which I don't personally use at the moment.

www.leangains.com

Intermittent Fasting is the easiest way to get and stay lean without it consuming your life, plus allowing you to bowhunt longer and healthier!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
"Ever been too fat to hunt?"

Nope....Ever been too drunk to fish?  ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
No smoking within 12 hours and no drinking within 50 ft...

thats how it used to be done in the Air Force!!!

LOL...too fat to hunt..funny!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Didn't Joebuck say he was going elk hunting this year? He must have reversed the trend!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
I had a friend who built a platform 10 feet by 10 feet in a tree and put a lazyboy recliner in it,buy the time he climbed up he figured he needed a place to sleep.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Its funny how when people see you are losing weight they want to know what your "secret" is. When I tell them eat less, exersize and pray, they walk away dissapointed that I didnt have a secret shortcut. They probably shoot compound bows.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
While all in good fun and a good read, I think it is actually possible.

I know of three men in a family that ride four wheelers TO their chosen tree to hunt and have for years.

Keep in mind this is about 200-400 yards off road, not miles.

Not sure if they got heavy due to health or health went to pot due to weight or a combo of the two plus getting older too.

I give em credit where credit is due that they still hunt at all though. They enjoy each other's company and share a family sport together. Good enough for me.

I do know weight loss is steady and consistant if you climb up and down 8 steps, twice, climb on and off a forklift twice (driving it 50 yards both ways), bend over 4 times with 10lbs in your hand, and 4 more times with lighter stuff......and repeat that every 5 minutes, 12 hours a night while you are constantly reminded you are "not keeping up".      :scared:     ) continued their down hill slide more rapidly and takes both hands to get out of the truck when you get home or to get out of bed.

There ARE jobs out there that "age/weight discrimination" should be allowed. LOL

In 8 months, I am now second in line for top "seniority", 27-30 year olds quitting due to physical toll. Half the new hires dont stay a week, some not an entire day.

Hello? Earth to employer?  Anything appearing consistant here? lol      :pray:    

oh yeah......I also get to eat anything I want and still losing more weight......between medications. ROFL

How'd they GET that recliner IN the tree, BTW?  Inquiring minds NEED to know LOL. (actually gave up trees stands. One reason of many was it being a PIA to GET INTO them when old, fat and etc etc. More fun on the ground anyway.)

God bless. Put one foot in front of the other....continually repeat. "The secret of weight loss".
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Nope.

Offline Brad Robins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
I used to be so skinny I had to run around in the shower to get wet and my pajamas had only one stripe.  Oh for the days of the high octane metabolism.

Now, I'm leery about wearing a ghillie suit lest all the burlap threads stick straight out. Who wants to wander the woods looking like the love child of a sasquatch and a blowfish?
:clapper:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:     I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!   That's me now!!!     :(  

Yes, overweight.  I will have to scramble these next 44 days before Alaska caribou!!

Brad
TEAM HEBO

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Weigh in time.  Step up Joey!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
on the lighter side= get yourself one of those digital scales that starts at zero and starts going up when you step on, when you get to a number you like, hop off

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©