3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broken!  (Read 410 times)

Offline Fishers

• Trad Bowhunter
broken!
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Well, my old York longbow gave out today. I had shot a few arrows already & the next time I drew, the lower limb snapped! Got a minor cut on my side (luckily my "love handle" gave me some padding), but the bigger issue is the loss of a keepsake from my grandfather. I should have known better than to keep trusting it because another member already estimated its date of manufacture as 1923-1940, but I hated to simply put it out to pasture when I could be shooting it. And it still shot OK; I even lowered the brace height to try to ease the stress on the limbs. I went ahead & glued the limb back on, just to display it in my den. Hopefully I'll find something in Kalamazoo that I like. I'm looking for a R/D longbow that is somewhat affordable- Mad Dog bows, Holm-made, Bama Bows, Two Tracks, etc. I'd love to hear any other ideas or suggestions, too.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broken!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the bow but at least your ok. As of now my by far favorite longbow is the pronghorn
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Man, that's rough.  I've got two 1950's Bear recurves from my Grandpa.  I have'nt shot either in 2 years.  I strung up one this summer to see if my nephew could draw it (still too young).  I'm considering just retiring them from shooting.  I'd be heartbroke if something like that happened to one of them.  That old Kodiak is what really got me into traditional.

Offline Fishers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Yeah, it sucks, but I figured I could either not shoot it & hang it on the wall for display, or else take the chance & shoot it, then if it breaks I can still display it. I think they're meant to be shot so if I'm not gonna shoot it, it doesn't matter if it's broken or not. Just my own opinion.

Offline fixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
That's not good. But I always felt if a tool is going to break it is better to break when being used for it's intended purpose as long as you didn't get injured in the process. I have one I reglued and is now hanging on the wall as a display, so it still has function and provides good memories.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
I have several old Yorks hanging on the wall. I will post some pictures later today if I get a few minutes.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©