3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Regrets  (Read 1998 times)

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Regrets
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I've no regrets, only sold bows which I built to sell. They were built for the buyer, not me.

Other than those, I can honestly say I still have in my possession every bow I have bought over the past 49 years. I think it is 46 or 47 bows now.

But I may soon start selling off some, already got the Permission to list on classifieds. Now just have to get the nerve to actually do it!

Then I'm sure I'll probably have regrets!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Silly as it sounds, I now wish I had the old Blue Bear and Red Bear fiberglass bows I had when I was a kid.

I do have the Herter's Sambar Junior bow that I graduated to after that, bought with my own hard-earned money.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Lippe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I traded a Massie Longhorn longbow for a Palmer recurve back in 1995 or so and still regret that decision. That longhorn was a shooter. Stupid is as stupid does.   :(

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Yes sir I had a Robertson that I am pretty sure wherE it is in SD and am trying to buy it back.

The other was a Big River 59 copy with orange glass on the limbs. This was the single bow out of all that I should have never sold. Did not shoot it well but there are very few of these around.

D

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
I had a Bear custom Kodiak I had to sell when the company I was working at closed it's doors.  found out they never paid our unemployment insurance! Whent 7 months with out a pay check I had to sell her to put food on the table for my boys and myself.  Gosh I miss that bow
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
I won't ever have that problem. I promised myself never to sell or trade any of my bows.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
I hardly ever sell a bow, so, no worries. Well, maybe that old Kodiak I sold Droptine...

I am looking real hard at my Pilgrim Too right now.
Killdeer   :cool:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Never have sold a bow, and don't anticipate doing so, so no regrets when it comes to that. But many years ago, when I was thirteen years old, my uncle gave me a very nice hunting recurve for my birthday. I had a lot of fun with that bow and it was my most prized possession. A few years later, though, the bow was stolen. If there are any regrets it is that I didn't manage to hold on to that bow.

But even at that, a couple of years ago I came across a like-new Wing Falcon (Head Ski) recurve manufactured in the early 70's that was very similar to the bow I had as a kid. It even had green limbs like mine did. So while I don't have my original bow, I now have a replacement that is very close to my orginal.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
I wish I would have kept my Chek Mate Falcon and my Dan Quillan Bamboo Longhunter. I almost tried to sell my Bear SK but decided I might regret that too. So I've promised myself to keep every bow I get from now on.
Jose =>>>>>---------->
Bear Montana longbow 52#@27"
80' Howatt Hunter 61#@27"
06' Bear Super Kodiak 57#@27"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Yes, twice! I sold my Super Shrew but had deep regrets while packaging it for shipment. Luckily the buyer understood my dilemma and backed out of the deal with no hard feelings. I made it clear to him that it was his if he insisted on the bow.

I also regretted selling a Griffin (Green Goblin) aka (Death In The Long Grass) twice after buying it back the 1st time. I now have it again and its here to stay.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
I have fond memories of my first three recurves, in the 1970's: Pearson Cougar, Bear Grizzly (56"), and Bear Victor Kodiak TD (BMAG).  However, they were all RH and I'm a lefty now.

One comes to mind, a Fox High Sierra -- it was the first in fact of about 10 I've bought and sold in the past two years on this site. However, the Fox went to a good home.

Just yesterday I shot two dozen arrows out of my current hunter. When finished shooting I wondered out loud why I keep any bows besides this ONE. Of course I got over that feeling real quick.

Note to self: I will never allow my name to be put on a custom bow again. It is very difficult for me to get rid of such a personalized bow.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
64" Silvertip...took the buck in my avatar with it, along with many others. Lots of memories with that bow. Found the bullsnake on my first trip[ to Wyoming.  Big medicine it was!

David M. Conroy

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
The only one I truely regret gitting rid of was a righthand 58" 44#@28" Mosshorn. I tried tracking it down some time ago and found out that vermonster13 ended up with it and had sent it to a reservation in the north country for the kids to shoot so, dosen't hurt so bad knowing where it is and what it's doing.

I also traded a set of 58" 45@28 Bob Lee longbow limbs once that I still regret everyday.

oh well' live and learn.   :archer:

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
A Bighorn back in the early 90s is the only one I truly want back.

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Sold not just one.... but two Kwyk Styks...... just the thought of it makes me tear up a little... =)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Bigriver Hill style bow.  The bamboo Miller.  

Most of all the longbow that I built for myself when I worked for Mark Horne @ Hornes Archery.  It was the older one piece brush bow radical R/D.  In the job interview we designed the form.  I won the state longbow with that bow in 1999.  I wish that one was at the house.  Still miss her today.   :(
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
I have had a bunch that I wish I had kept....but on the other hand I have been very fortunate to usually trade up to a better bow or sell a few to get something I have always wanted...like the Silvertip I have now. I have tried to thin the herd but it's not working.....off to the classifieds...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
An all cocabola Zipper and a all curly maple Zipper.The sale of those bows caused Bob Thompson to name me LITTLE PRICK!!!!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Just one , but I knew I would be getting it back and I did so it's a wash. Saxon American Longbow. Not to rub it in Chaser but I just scored a Bamboo Longhunter last weekend. It'll never be sold. I don't think any of mine will be sold. Got a grandson coming up who is ate up with trad archery. He'll get 'em all.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©