3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: changed rest to velcro now my arrow flight stinks!!  (Read 788 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
changed rest to velcro now my arrow flight stinks!!
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
the seal skin rest on my RER fell off while bunny huntin with the gang sun. so i replaced it with velcro.  now my arrows seem to be out of tune...   :mad:  
does changing a rest have that big of an effect??
im really discouraged because my arrows were like darts before the switch.    :confused:  

gaff   go colts!!!!!!
wooooohoooooo
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: changed rest to velcro now my arrow flight stinks!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Was it the rest or the side plate that you replaced Jamie?  Or both?  As mentioned, if the new material is thinner than what you replaced it could make a difference, although very minor.  

To compensate for the side plate, build it out a bit with something under the velcro - sliver of leather, toothpick, etc.  If the rest, you could do the same thing, or just adjust the nock point on your string.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Which part of the velcro did you use? I've seen folks use the toothy part before and that is a mistake.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
its all n the hgt of the "rest" or thickness of side plate.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I used the loop part dave.. whip i replaced both the pcs. i shot soooo bad last night at my indoor league last night i was embarrased!!
i also was shootin left.. i assume because the velcro is so much thicker..

so i should add a toothpick behing the side plate?? what will that do?? it seems as though that would make it shoot farther to the left??

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
You want to use the fluffy fabric part.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
The velcro is thicker than the sealskin? I would have guessed it the other way around.  If so, don't follow what I said before - that would make it even worse.  

Building out the side plate isn't so much about moving the arrow to change the point of impact like you would with a sight.  It's about adjusting how the arrow bends around the bow in paradox and actually makes your arrow act stiffer or weaker, depending on which direction you go.  

Could it also just be that you were having a bad day?  That happens to me a lot, even if I haven't changed a thing!  :knothead:    And once you get something in your head things sometimes just seem to fall apart.  Before making major changes make sure that this is a consistent problem.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
i understand whip. it is very much possable that i just had an off day. BUT  my arrow flight was BAD. and normally they spin like a dart. and at 15 yds i was shootin 6" left.

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
I was using the velcro (ran out of sealskin) a few weeks ago on a new bow and the arrow flight was poor.  Off the wood it was fine.  I played and played with the nock height but never could get it right.  I checked the arrows and the tip of the quill on a few had a little sticker and I think it may have been catching on the velcro.  Switched to a kangaroo rest and everything was fine.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
There are two sides to Velcro.  A smooth fleece side and the ridges side.  You want the smooth fleece side.  That is what I used.  Never had a problem when using the smooth side.  Which side did you use?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I think you guys have arrows that are borderline stiff, if shooting them on the wood shelf made it work, or the velcro made it fly left.

Let me guess...you are using carbon arrows and you are on the edge of the higher spine.  A well spined arrow will adapt to some difference in material depth/thickness.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
i dont think so george... what do you think?

rer cxr 55#@28"  i draw 28"   gold tip 55/75s
cut to 29" with 100grain inserts and 150 tips  for a total of 250 up front.

does that sound ok???

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
The sealskin fell off my RER too, shortly after I got it.  I replaced it with hair-on calfskin that I bought at Tandy Leather.  The RER bowyer must not have discovered Barge Cement yet...

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Bottom line is you changed an important part of your setup.When you do that you need to retune your bow.Different thickness on the shelf is no biggie and a slight change in nock height is the fix.When you changed centershot by replaceing the side plate that could mean a completly diffeent spine in arrow,differnt point weight or arrow length or putting the centershot back like it was.It has nothing to do with what kind of arrow you are shooting.It has to do with simple tuneing of the bow. jmho

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Gaff....change one thing a time to see what fixes it.  Change the side plate....if it gets better without a side plate, then your arrow is not bending properly when the plate is thicker, and that indicates borderline stiffness.

You could also, as James mentioned, try a different nock height, but my guess is that has no bearing on hitting that far to the left.

What I'm saying is a piece of material, even 1/8th inch thicker, shouldn't throw an arrow 6 inches to the left at close distance....there is another issue and it is in the arrow.

I can move my aluminum arrows out an eight of an inch easily and not impact the arrow strike.  Your setup is too critical to start with if that bit of plate thickness throws it off that much.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by nchunter:
The sealskin fell off my RER too, shortly after I got it.  I replaced it with hair-on calfskin that I bought at Tandy Leather.  The RER bowyer must not have discovered Barge Cement yet...
I'm not a fan of barge cement! I was hunting in some fowl weather and my leather rest just about fell off, went back to camp and reattached it with double sided carpet tape, it been on there ever since! I swear by the carpet tape, its all I use!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
George is undoubtedly right about your setup being highly critical, but it seems to me that if it was working well for you, the thing to do is recreate exactly what you had before you start tinkering with anything else.  If that solves your problem, great.  If not, as George said, start with one thing at a time so you know what ultimately solves your problem.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Jamie, I'm using the same arrows as you, GT 55/75, and the same weight up front.  But mine are 30 1/2 to BOP and I'm pulling 57# @ 29".  I think mine are plenty stiff - yours would be even stiffer, so you might just be right on the edge like George says.  I'm no expert on the correct arrow for every set up - just sharing what I use.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I was thinking the same think as George and Whip,you are on the stiff side and changing plate made it worse.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Jamie,  I believe George and Joe are right on the money, with your arrows being "too stiff"....if that tiny bit of extra thickness made that much of a difference, then that is certainly the case.

Are you sure you draw 28"?    

You also might have "been having a bad night"....might have started a little off, then you start thinking about not shooting good, or maybe your plate change and things go to pot quick...

I've messed around a lot with shimming out plate areas, and I've found that unless you make major, major thickness changes, it doesn't make much difference at all for me...but that's just me...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©