3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to me bow (PICS) and some questions  (Read 238 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
New to me bow (PICS) and some questions
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Hi,
i have just received my new bow, well its a used one but new for me. At first, i have to thank the inventor of the classifieds again and the gentleman selling it to me for a very fair price without any problems at all   :notworthy:   !

My "new" Bob Lee TD LB 59# @my 30", 62":

Its the old modell with the black glass on the limbs. This bow is a real worker! It feels just right shooting and though it has some evidence of use, its very pretty for me.
Well one evidence of use are stress lines on both limbs. There are quite a few horizontal lines / very tiny cracks along the limbs:

As far as i can see, i am sure they are not in the glass but only the coating.

QUESTION 1: can i get rid of them? how? is it useful to do do or should i just let it be?

It is always said that LBs are quieter or can be made quieter than RCs, but at the moment i dont get the Bob Lee as quiet as my Bear RC.

QUESTION 2: Does somebody have a similar bow and can tell me wich brace height/ silencers worked for him? any suggestions?

Heres a pic of my first grouping while bareshafting ( CX Heritage 350; 32,5"; 125 + 60 insert) I am very confident with the group but the nocks of the bareshafts pointing so awkwardly out to the left are concerning me a bit.

QUESTION 3: can i do something about it or is it normal?

as you can see in the pic one nock broke off wich crrates a lot of trouble cause they were glued in with instant cement.

QUESTION 4: Do you glue youre nocks in or just put em in? anybody know a way to remove it and perhaps some more durable noocks for the CXs?

Thanks alot and kind regards from Bavaria under 2 feet of snow!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to me bow (PICS) and some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I don't glue my nocks in, kind of kills the whole "tunable" nock thing. A nail in the shaft with a few hard swings may pop the broken nock out for you, but I'm guessing you glued the inserts the same way.

The nocks left could very well be an issue with your release since the arrows grouped so well(fletch covers many things). Also a cardboard stack like that isn't the best for reading nocks.

You could have the bow refinished if the limbs are bothering you, but I wouldn't be concerned with them from what I see in the pics.

Brace height you'll just need to play with until you find the bows sweet spot. Also how heavy are the arrows? Lees tend to like them heavy in my experience to get them quiet.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
vermonster,

the inserts are still glued with hot melt because i am still tuning, so i will try the nail-method.

release is possible as the bow is a bit heavier than my last one so i will have to work in to it a bit more. sadly i have nothing else than the cardboard stack or stuffed bag targets wich are a bit small for bareshafting indoors...

glad to hear it is not necesary to do anythig bout the limbs.

The arrows are nearly 600 grain (9,5 gr/p) and at the moment i havent found a way to make em a bit heavier, weight tubes, rope etc add to much weight and the heaviest inserts available here are 60 gr. no arrow cutting possible.

Thanks
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Let me start by saying I've only been into longbows and recurves for about 2 years, so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

#1 From what you decribe and what I see in the picture, those stress lines are only in the finish and its called crazing, and will not affect the bows performance.
I don't know about getting rid of them, but if you wanted, you could mask the edge of limbs with tape and spray paint the back and belly of the limbs.

#2 I can't help with brace height, but I'm sure someone will chime in that knows. As far as silencers, I make my own with 100% wool yarn, easy and very effective.

#3 The bare shafts entering the target at an angle does not bother me personally as long as bare shafts and fletched group well. Ideally I prefer for my bare shafts to show slightly weak, as fletching them stiffens spine slightly.

#4 If the nocks were glued in using super glue (CA), holding the broken nock in boiling water for a minute (or less) should cause the glue to break down. Inserting a piece of stiff wire with a hook bent into the end, you might be able to pull out the broken piece.  I prefer the Easton super nocks to the CX.

Just my 2 cents...

Good Luck

AA

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Well, nails, boiling water, nailvarnish remover, nothing worked! I then carefully drilled the remaining nock-parts out with a wood drill.

And those arrows, well i m nearly giving up now!   "[dntthnk]"    "[dntthnk]"    
When i got them to fly right they are too light for my taste, when i want to add weight, those parts are not available in Germany or dont work on my setup, ohh how i love trad-arrow making!

Offline oldtimerbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Brace height is 8" to deepest part of grip on that length of limb. I think the cracking you see is in the finish.Using yarn puff balls on the string out toward the  limb  tips seem to work best for me.
oldtimerbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©