3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk bunny hunting quivers again...  (Read 618 times)

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets talk bunny hunting quivers again...
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
After my first attendance at the JLMBH last year, I vowed not to wear my back quiver again. I lost more arrows from the quiver and got hung up on brush and thorns more times than I can remember.I remember all kinds of talk about homemade this and that and such but can't seam to decide what to do. I will have a bow quiver with 4 arrows on it but I'm pretty sure I'll need a few extras too. Would love an arrowmaster or similar but can't spare the cash so it's gotta be something cheap and homemade. What works for you? Thanks for your input. Skippy  :archer:
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk bunny hunting quivers again...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Back quiver is what I use and it works great for me.  I think you might need a deeper quiver with leather that is flexible and soft so it holds your arrows in place.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Why not make You something simular to the arrow master until You can afford the real thing.

Some heavy cardboard or light weight PVC. It won't look as good but I bet You can get a couple of days of Rabbit hunting out of one

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Skippy, for a few bucks you can get some PVC and make a tube quiver that is tough, and wont lose any arrows. Why spend a lot of cash on something that the brush will hurt? Let me know if you want some help or ideas...I have one, and plan on making another shortly so I dont have to hurt my leather quiver anymore.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
I'll be watching this thread also.  I lost 3 arrows last weekned(including Jaime's lucky arrow) trying to navigate the tough.  

A quiver like Jaime is talking about seemed to work well for the guys last weekend.  I saw them used to disptch rabbits when large sticks were not arround.

If someone posts some pics and how to's that would be awesome. In fact, If I am able to make one, I'll make 2 and donate one to the he auction.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Here's a tube quiver I made for the first time out of all recyclable materials, 1 plastic tube from a dumpster, 1 old, too small camo shirt   :rolleyes:   and a broadhead plug I cut out from some scrap wood, and I used a nylon shoulder strap from a small duffle bag I have. it took about an hour and works great, although for rabbit arras you would have to use a larger diameter tube, have at it!

my wife made the hood   :)
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
All you need is a a PVC pipe in 3, or for more arrows, 4 inch diameter about 3 feet in length. Draw an oval template on paper for the hole to remove arrows from. Mine is about a foot long and 4" from the bottom of one end of the 3' pipe. Trace template on pipe. Take a dremel, saw, or whatever to the pipe and remove it. Sand down the edges(they can be sharp, ask me how I know). Place an endcap on that end. Stuff some old foam(old hunting seats work well) in the end. On the other end, use a clean out. Its basically an endcap with a screw on and off cap. It will help to load the quiver and remove the arrows and debris. Glue em all together, add a strap and you are done. If you have LONG arrows, adjust the length accordingly. I would also suggest you "play" with the arrow access hole to find what suits you best. I built mine for roughly 3$ and it is still going strong....up to you as to what to use for a covering....old camo....spray paint of you can just leave it as is. If anyone needs more info, feel free to pm me. I will help as much as I can...next one I do I will take pics to do a build along.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Jamie,

Sorry if I spelled your name wrong in the last few contacts. It's a habbit.  

Do you line the insinde of the tube to quiet the arrows down when they move around?

How is that quiver for reloading a single arrow?  Do yyou have to unscrew they end cap or can you thread it back up the hole?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I didnt line mine, but I dont need to as I only use it for roving for small game. Arrow noise isnt an issue when you hunt like we do.

As far as loading a single arrow, I simply insert the fletched end into the upper part of the oval, and slide it in, down and then forward to secure it back into the quiver. It can be rough on fletches, but I have not damaged any, just ruffled em  a bit.

Dont worry about mis-spelling my name, happens alot.

:D
                         -Jamie

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
For most of my small game hunting, I use a homemade plains-style quiver. It's lightweight, silent, hold a lot of arrows securely, and I can maneuver it without getting hung up in brush.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
im with the plains Quiver they work great sure love my 3.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I agree that any quiver will work for  most  small game hunting. That being said, I dont think that is the case at Shawn's bunny hunt.
 I have had too much clothing, skin, and leather torn up in the past years. I have also lost too many arrows.   :goldtooth:  

Besides, quivers are like bows...you cant have just one.  :D
                         -Jamie

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Charlie, I got a quiver for you to try,one I made. Let me know if you want to try it out.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
The heavy briars and thick woodlots at Shawns are a nightmare for backquiver users. The bowquiver is the way to go there. However, I use a backquiver when small game hunting here. The woodlots and briar patches are not as brutal plus I love carrying a lot of arrows because we also stumpshoot when out hunting.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
With non broadhead arrows I have gone back to the Kwikee klamp on with no hood. Works good just as it did 40 years ago!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I've used my side stalker for the past 5 years there without any problems.  

It's thick.... but not unbareably so.... unless you're some kind of clumsy oaf.

Side quivers or bow quivers will all work just fine.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Sorry but back quivers that are open at all are no good where we hunt. It actually is funny to think they would work. If ya hunt with us, you spend times crawling thru some of this stuff and sometimes back wards at that. The enclosed tube quivers guys have mentioned hear work well. I just use a bow quiver that holds 6 arrows. If I run out I just go begging for some more from 1 of the other 80 or 90 people I am hunting with!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Funny Shawn You forgot to mention sometimes we are upside down also.  Or if your Jamie diving head first into bushes. Maybe that's how I lost the three arrows last time!  Seems shooting isn't the only way to lose an arrow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Sorry but back quivers that are open at all are no good where we hunt. It actually is funny to think they would work. If ya hunt with us, you spend times crawling thru some of this stuff and sometimes back wards at that. The enclosed tube quivers guys have mentioned hear work well. I just use a bow quiver that holds 6 arrows. If I run out I just go begging for some more from 1 of the other 80 or 90 people I am hunting with!! Shawn
Slight sidetrack, but how on earth do you expect to shoot a bow while belly crawling (backwards and upside down, uphill both ways)?

Don't get me wrong - that hunt sounds like a blast but if the bushes are going to grab you, turn you upside down and shake arrows from your back quiver, that's some tough hunting!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©